Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By larrynj
  • 1 Post By trandz

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    So first off, I'd like to say I love the new windows phone. I came from webos (to which I was loyal for quite awhile) so I don't really know how things work for windows. Is there any chance when windows phone 8 (Apollo?) is released, will we get an update?

P.s. I came from WebOs so im used to being let down. :D

Sent from my {Lumia 900} using Board Express
    Last edited by ltyarbro42; 04-16-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    That's a very good question. I read and apparently windows 8 runs a different kernel that supports multi core.

And it's up to the carriers and hardware manufactures to support the software update also.

I have a feeling Microsoft gives Nokia early access to windows 8 software to test and this Lumia 900 will run windows 8 phone software.

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    Nobody has confirmed anything..

We are only hoping that it does.....If so, i would assume some features may be missing...

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Nobody has confirmed anything..

We are only hoping that it does.....If so, i would assume some features may be missing...
    i agree...

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    This has been beaten to death, but here goes lol.

MS is not saying anything, and this is to keep a lid on things until necessary. With Mango they let the competition know too early and things were copied.

Now for the question: I would literally bet my right eye that Apollo will be distributed to all 2nd gen phones, and would almost do the same for first gen phones.

MS and Nokia both need this to succeed and they are NOT going to leave everybody in the dust with Apollo that already bought devices. ESPECIALLY NOT THEIR NEW HERO DEVICE (lumia 900) that JUST launched.

What will happen is simple. The update will be given to your current phone, and just like with ANY OTHER UPDATE, the only things it will NOT get is simply things the hardware limits of the phone itself allow. Just like with Mango, my Focus got the update, but things like Gyroscope & Front Facing Cameras don't magically appear in the phone, so those aren't supported obviously.

Everybody will get the OS update (can't say I know for sure on 1st gen devices, but don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't), and you will only be limited in the features that require specific hardware you do not have.

As its been said, there hasn't been anything concrete to go on. One thing to note is how fast Nokia got that update out for the data thing, even though AT&T said they were going to hold updates back for major updates. I'm wondering if the Nokia Microsoft partnership has anything special in regards to updates as well. Maybe we'll be seeing updates coming from Nokia instead of AT&T, which would bode well for getting Apollo on board for our devices. I doubt Nokia would drop this one dead seeing how well it's doing so far, the last thing they want to do is backstab us in the back I'd think.

When is it supposed to come out?

My plan is to get the newest latest greatest Nokia and give the 900 to my son. :)
    Gaiking likes this.

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    When is it supposed to come out?

My plan is to get the newest latest greatest Nokia and give the 900 to my son. :)
    They haven't said officially, but expect it between Sept & Nov with dev beta sometime this summer.

Global Posts
    388 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtboos View Post
    this has been beaten to death, but here goes lol.

Ms is not saying anything, and this is to keep a lid on things until necessary. With mango they let the competition know too early and things were copied.

Now for the question: I would literally bet my right eye that apollo will be distributed to all 2nd gen phones, and would almost do the same for first gen phones.

Ms and nokia both need this to succeed and they are not going to leave everybody in the dust with apollo that already bought devices. Especially not their new hero device (lumia 900) that just launched.

What will happen is simple. The update will be given to your current phone, and just like with any other update, the only things it will not get is simply things the hardware limits of the phone itself allow. Just like with mango, my focus got the update, but things like gyroscope & front facing cameras don't magically appear in the phone, so those aren't supported obviously.

Everybody will get the os update (can't say i know for sure on 1st gen devices, but don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't), and you will only be limited in the features that require specific hardware you do not have.
    this

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Hey, my 8 year old Fujitsu notebook is running Windows 8 right now. Backward compatibility is Microsoft's blessing (or curse). Enough said.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    here's food for thought. The lumias single core runs smoother then any android out. The nexus s got ice cream sandwich with having only a single core. What makes you think we won't get Apollo? :-D
    nokia4life likes this.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Of course the 900 will get Apollo. What hardware would developers run the beta on? And the aggressive memory management Windows 8 has for tablets is doubly helpful for phones.

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Uh...yeah. Not that I have anything against the other OS's but this ain't android

Sent from my Le Lumia using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Once Apollo rolls out we all will find out that Nokia has secretly manufactured the 900 with a dual core processor.

A man can dream, right?

hold on...what is it that Apollo is going to provide that's missing today?? Anybody know officially??

I for one don't care now cause I don't know...plus the fact that the damn phone works!!!

There ain't no long laundry list of bugs to get an ice cream sandwich to sort that out nor is copy paste missing to get iOS 3

what's the gripe and why the clamoring esp on a lumia 900?

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Well for starters with Windows 8 on the way, I would think the phone and computer software would share similar "apps". That is my understanding at least. I may be wrong about that though? If so we could have a lot more apps and development coming our way

Sent from my {Lumia 900} using Board Express

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I don't care if they come from WP 8 or WP 7.99 - I just want to have...

Full backup capability like iphone

The ability to transfer files from my phone to my pc without Zune

The ability to save SMS threads to word or rich text format