Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By falconeight#IM
  1.    #1  
    I have owned iPhones, hd7 and at the most I use about 450mg per month. Max at 750 So far this month in 14 days I am at 872mg!!

Have you noticed the increase in data? I can't believe I am using that much. I haven't streamed anything, no Netflix. I am on WiFi most of the day. I can't put it together why I have used so much!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

No, its not a data hogger... You're probably not realizing what you're doing. And alot of apps have ads and stuff, so those ads download with your data.

Just turn off data connection while you're on Wi-Fi.

Posted via my Nokia Lumia 900.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XboxOmac View Post

No self respecting mobile OS should require their users to do that in the year 2012.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Phones don't use data, people use data.
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    I am on WiFi most of the day, so data is used primarily for background updates & email, and rh occasional access when away from WiFi. Consistently used 200-225MB/month for the past year.

Btw, I have Unlimited data, but my 3G sucked (WiFi was 3-4 times faster). Now with LTE, I plan to turn off WiFi on the 26th when my monthly contract restarts. Want to see of battery is better/worse using data for everything.

Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    Not that I know of not a data hog at all. You want to see data hogs go over to android forums those phones drink data like alcoholics do liquor

Global Posts
    1,843 Global Posts
    I don't believe it is. It certainly is using less data than any of my last three Androids.

Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    No self respecting mobile OS should require their users to do that in the year 2012.
    And nor does WP7.

9.    #9  
    No, its not a data hogger... You're probably not realizing what you're doing. And alot of apps have ads and stuff, so those ads download with your data.

I have owned a windows phone since they came out. I am not using it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    I have owned a windows phone since they came out. I am not using it differently.

with LTE you may be using the web or something else more often

also the highest usage for ANY phone is within the first 2 weeks...as the new phone fever dies out, you usage will go back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by rdubmu View Post
    I have owned iPhones, hd7 and at the most I use about 450mg per month. Max at 750 So far this month in 14 days I am at 872mg!!

Have you noticed the increase in data? I can't believe I am using that much. I haven't streamed anything, no Netflix. I am on WiFi most of the day. I can't put it together why I have used so much!

I had actually noticed, or at least it seemed, that when I had my Titan, my data use increased to a point where I had been curious. I had the Arrive before that and hadn't used data to the levels the Titan seemed to. I didn't know if it was just a difference with AT&T since I was getting faster speeds so I used more or what.

So I tested some things out and, what I found, it was email. I had 3 emails accounts set to 'as items arrive' and another one every 30 minutes. I changed the 'as items arrive' accounts to '15 minutes' and noticed a difference in data used.

I haven't tried the 'as items arrive' settings on the Lumia yet, but will if necessary to just test it out. I've uysed 287MB in 8 days and I consider myself a very heavy data consumer. Lots of web browsing, Twitter reading and the occasional tethering of my tablet.

I do have it connected to WiFi when I'm at home, but feel like I use it more for web when I'm not home. Just to toss that in there.
    Last edited by techygeek82; 04-17-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Global Posts
    3,000 Global Posts

when connected to wifi the phone automatically doesn't utilize the cell data connection.

Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    I agree, but all the mobile OS's do this. iPhone drops wifi, and connects to data when it goes to sleep, at least my 3gs did.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    People hub works on background and fetches alot of information. Also the pictures app fetches meta data style info from Facebook albums ..

Sent via Lumia 900 using Board Express
    AT&T is known for causing phantom data use. You should check to see when data was accessed on your phone. If you see it accessed during the night while you are asleep then it could be AT&T doing their crap. Search - AT&T Community Support

Quote Originally Posted by undisputed n00b View Post
    AT&T is known for causing phantom data use. You should check to see when data was accessed on your phone. If you see it accessed during the night while you are asleep then it could be AT&T doing their crap. Search - AT&T Community Support
    I remember coming across this when I was doing a little homework on the iPhone 4S for my mom, and it happened to quite a few iPhone users as well as other devices. It seems like if you call AT&T about it they say its the manufacturer's problem, then you go to the manufacturer they tell you it's AT&T's problem, leaving you stuck in the middle... it sucks but I haven't seen that happen to any of the phones on our account luckily, so you might want to see if it is this phantom data.

Quote Originally Posted by techygeek82 View Post
    I had actually noticed, or at least it seemed, that when I had my Titan, my data use increased to a point where I had been curious. I had the Arrive before that and hadn't used data to the levels the Titan seemed to. I didn't know if it was just a difference with AT&T since I was getting faster speeds so I used more or what.

So I tested some things out and, what I found, it was email. I had 3 emails accounts set to 'as items arrive' and another one every 30 minutes. I changed the 'as items arrive' accounts to '15 minutes' and noticed a difference in data used.

I haven't tried the 'as items arrive' settings on the Lumia yet, but will if necessary to just test it out. I've uysed 287MB in 8 days and I consider myself a very heavy data consumer. Lots of web browsing, Twitter reading and the occasional tethering of my tablet.

I do have it connected to WiFi when I'm at home, but feel like I use it more for web when I'm not home. Just to toss that in there.
    I have mine to 'as items arrive,' but doesn't the phone limit the amount of message that is downloaded? I usually have to hit download message when I look at my emails, especially those with larger attachments. I can't imagine email impacting data that much unless you get literally hundreds to thousands of emails daily.