Get ready for beta!

Prepare for Halo Wars 2 Blitz Mode beta: Everything you need to know!

One Windows

Microsoft is building a new Windows 10 Shell for PC, Mobile and Xbox

On the Inside

Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program

Beautiful compromises

Surface Studio review: you'll want one, even if you don't need one

3-in-1

Is this the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for foldable devices

Windows Central Offers

MCSE Certification bundle is just $39

Even more improvements

All the changes found in Windows 10 build 15007!

Games as a Service

What does the cancellation of Scalebound mean for future Xbox exclusives?

Windows Central Offers

Save $90 on these FRESHeBUDS Pro Magnetic Bluetooth Earbuds

Returning for 2017

We're back with an new episode of #AskDanWindows

Lifetime Subscription

VPNSecure is currently 91% off

Our favorite things

The Best of CES 2017 Awards

Infinity Edge in your hand

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the Dell convertible we've always wanted

Project Valerie

Razer just made a laptop with three — THREE! — 17-inch 4K displays. 😱

Great design from Palo Alto

HP's CES 2017 releases are truly gorgeous PCs

Intel and Google's big day

CES 2017 Day Two: New laptops, new phones, and old ideas made new

Take five is better than ever

The updated Lenovo ThinkPad X1 packs Kaby Lake chips and zero bloatware

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio

UWPowered

'Game Mode' for Windows 10 will power Xbox One and Scorpio games too

Buyer's guide

Best accessories for Microsoft Surface Book

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oridus
  1. rgbjr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
       #1  
    How much is the deductible on att's insurance on the lumia 900?
  2. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,512 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,524 Global Posts
    #2  
    I wonder that too, but I'm going to venture and guess that's a tier 3 phone at $200 deductible range. Which would mean that if I broke my phone after a year, the cost of monthly payments, plus the deductible would bring it to about $300 to get it replaced. Which to me is no longer worth it. As you can tell, I've also thought about getting the insurance.
  3. rgbjr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
       #3  
    Well once you put it that way it doesn't seem like it's worth it. However, if something were to happen to the phone sooner than later....
  4. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,512 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,524 Global Posts
    #4  
    That's true... Maybe its a good idea to get the insurance and cancel after a year?
  5. eastbayrae's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #5  
    $200? Wow, it used to be $50.
  6. rgbjr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
       #6  
    I tried getting the insurance on att's website but it keeps giving me an error. Going to have to call them later then.
  7. Oridus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #7  
    Deductible is $125
  8. Oridus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    I wonder that too, but I'm going to venture and guess that's a tier 3 phone at $200 deductible range. Which would mean that if I broke my phone after a year, the cost of monthly payments, plus the deductible would bring it to about $300 to get it replaced. Which to me is no longer worth it. As you can tell, I've also thought about getting the insurance.

    Insurance on ANYTHING is EVER meant to be cost effective.... it's meant to make sure that you're not digging yourself a hole in the current time. It's a convenience thing.

    $292.76 for 24 months of insurance plus 1 replacement of a phone at a $125 deductible with no new contract is better than $450 (using lumia as example) up front in the first 6 months, or $386 with new contract (including upgrade fee)..... then I could turn around a pay $100-200 plus $36 upgrade fee whenever I want for the latest and greatest phone.
    Last edited by Oridus; 04-17-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    krayziehustler likes this.
  9. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    558 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
    Insurance on ANYTHING is EVER meant to be cost effective.... it's meant to make sure that you're not digging yourself a hole in the current time. It's a convenience thing.

    $292.76 for 24 months of insurance plus 1 replacement of a phone at a $125 deductible with no new contract is better than $450 (using lumia as example) up front in the first 6 months, or $386 with new contract (including upgrade fee)..... then I could turn around a pay $100-200 plus $36 upgrade fee whenever I want for the latest and greatest phone.
    It is way more cost effective to self-insure than to pay AT&T / Asurion a fat margin to do it for you.

    Unless, of course you are an "adverse" candidate for insurance (i.e. you would lose/break your phone more than the normal person). Then take as much advantage of the insurance companies as possible. Although I do believe they limit the amount of claims you can file
  10. rgbjr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post
    It is way more cost effective to self-insure than to pay AT&T / Asurion a fat margin to do it for you.

    Unless, of course you are an "adverse" candidate for insurance (i.e. you would lose/break your phone more than the normal person). Then take as much advantage of the insurance companies as possible. Although I do believe they limit the amount of claims you can file

    If I remember correctly they only allow 2 claims per year
  11. Oridus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post
    It is way more cost effective to self-insure than to pay AT&T / Asurion a fat margin to do it for you.

    Unless, of course you are an "adverse" candidate for insurance (i.e. you would lose/break your phone more than the normal person). Then take as much advantage of the insurance companies as possible. Although I do believe they limit the amount of claims you can file
    Self-insure? Want to elaborate?
  12. ftap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
    Self-insure? Want to elaborate?
    Self insure means take your own chance. Use Amex 90 day accidental protection and most credit card extra year warranty.

    And for gods sake. Get at least some type of silicone shock absorbing cover that can be brought for less than $20
  13. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    558 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
    Self-insure? Want to elaborate?
    Simply take the money you pay AT&T and set it aside yourself

    Let's say you are a person who breaks/loses his phone once every 5 years

    You pay to AT&T:
    7*60 months = $420
    Deductible = $125
    Total = $545

    AT&T purchases a used/refurbished phone (Cost ~$300-$400) and sends it to you
    They take in anywhere from $145 to $245 in profit from you

    Now just do this yourself and set aside $7 a month in some imaginary account (or even a real account in your bank or something)

    Do the same math, but instead of AT&T pocketing profit, your insurance fund still has $145 to $245 in it.

    Now obviously this depends on whether you are a good risk or not. If you're the type of person who breaks / loses their phone twice a year then you are an adverse customer that in a perfect world wouldn't be insurable or would have to pay much more for insurance. If that's the case, take advantage of AT&T/Asurion not knowing your behavior

    However, for most normal individuals that aren't out breaking or losing their phones (and really, any type of consumer electronics), its almost always better to self-insure. Especially with things such as accidental protection built-in from credit cards. I would say doubly so in the case of cell phones with the ability to break contracts and get better pricing for phones, etc
  14. rdubmu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,503 Global Posts
    #14  
    I broke my phone twice in two months last year. the first time I did the Assurance and paid $130 with Tmobile. The 2nd time, I took it into a repair shop and fixed the digitizer for $75 on my HD7.... I am thinking insurance is a waste unless if you are prone to loosing your phone. I would do total coverage for $9.99 for that :)
  15. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,512 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,524 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
    Insurance on ANYTHING is EVER meant to be cost effective.... it's meant to make sure that you're not digging yourself a hole in the current time. It's a convenience thing.

    $292.76 for 24 months of insurance plus 1 replacement of a phone at a $125 deductible with no new contract is better than $450 (using lumia as example) up front in the first 6 months, or $386 with new contract (including upgrade fee)..... then I could turn around a pay $100-200 plus $36 upgrade fee whenever I want for the latest and greatest phone.
    $125 is a whole lot better than $200. But if I think about it, its still not worth it, because phones drop in value within a year. I bet we'll be able to find a brand new 900 on Craigslist, Ebay or Amazon for about $200 once WP8 devices are released.

    The latest and greatest is only available to you if your current phone is no longer available, which probably won't happen for two years. By then you're already eligible for a new upgrade. I myself am always eligible for an early upgrade after just 18 months.
  16. Oridus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post
    Simply take the money you pay AT&T and set it aside yourself

    Let's say you are a person who breaks/loses his phone once every 5 years

    You pay to AT&T:
    7*60 months = $420
    Deductible = $125
    Total = $545

    AT&T purchases a used/refurbished phone (Cost ~$300-$400) and sends it to you
    They take in anywhere from $145 to $245 in profit from you

    Now just do this yourself and set aside $7 a month in some imaginary account (or even a real account in your bank or something)

    Do the same math, but instead of AT&T pocketing profit, your insurance fund still has $145 to $245 in it.

    Now obviously this depends on whether you are a good risk or not. If you're the type of person who breaks / loses their phone twice a year then you are an adverse customer that in a perfect world wouldn't be insurable or would have to pay much more for insurance. If that's the case, take advantage of AT&T/Asurion not knowing your behavior

    However, for most normal individuals that aren't out breaking or losing their phones (and really, any type of consumer electronics), its almost always better to self-insure. Especially with things such as accidental protection built-in from credit cards. I would say doubly so in the case of cell phones with the ability to break contracts and get better pricing for phones, etc
    Do you gamble like that with your car? ^_^ have fun with that.
  17. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    558 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #17  
    Yep automobiles and consumer electronics are completely the same. Same risks and everything. Enjoy your ignorance

    Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
  18. Oridus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post
    Yep automobiles and consumer electronics are completely the same. Same risks and everything. Enjoy your ignorance

    Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

    If you like paying huge chunks of cash to replace a phone, that's fine. But most people I know, have much more important things to think about.
    Last edited by Oridus; 04-18-2012 at 04:16 PM.
  19. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    558 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
    If you like paying huge chunks of cash to replace a phone, that's fine. But most people I know, have much more important things to think about.
    I just gave you the math on why that might not be the case. Those small chunks of cash you pay monthly + the deductible are oftentimes bigger than those huge chunks you are talking about.

    How about this:
    Samsung Focus bought in November 2010 breaks/gets lost today
    You've paid $7*18 months = $126
    Add $125 deductible = $251 total replacement cost

    eBay shows a refurbished Focus costs $159, used $90. You've paid AT&T $251 for one instead. How did that trade end up for you?

    This doesn't even take into account the fact you can upgrade to a better phone with a new contract.

    Again, if you're losing your phone twice a year by all mean get the insurance. You're a "bad" insurance customer in that you're costing them money and benefiting from that.
  20. danwc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #20  
    I've had good luck with squaretrade for phone insurance. It is now a bit more expensive and the deductible is higher. But with my Focus. It fell about a little over a month from when I got it, in a case, at just the right angle and the screen broke. The insurance cost me 94 or something like that. I had to pay a 50.00 deductible. And they ended up paying me full retail for the phone (close to 600). Att worked out some way to charge me an update renewal price of 250. So I made money off the deal. I've looked into their prices this time around. They are now 124 for 2 years insurance and 100 deductible, but you cam cancel at any time for a prorated refund. So if you bought and kept it for a year and then cancelled it, you'd get 62 back. Something else to think about.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  21. Oridus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by red grenadine View Post
    I just gave you the math on why that might not be the case. Those small chunks of cash you pay monthly + the deductible are oftentimes bigger than those huge chunks you are talking about.

    How about this:
    Samsung Focus bought in November 2010 breaks/gets lost today
    You've paid $7*18 months = $126
    Add $125 deductible = $251 total replacement cost

    eBay shows a refurbished Focus costs $159, used $90. You've paid AT&T $251 for one instead. How did that trade end up for you?

    This doesn't even take into account the fact you can upgrade to a better phone with a new contract.

    Again, if you're losing your phone twice a year by all mean get the insurance. You're a "bad" insurance customer in that you're costing them money and benefiting from that.
    Does Ebay give you a brand new 1 year warranty? Does that refurbished or used phone come with any sort of guarantee? Didn't think so. And not all phones carry same depreciation rates. So for example, while the focus may have a $92 difference in value NOW, it may not have been the case only 5 months ago.... and that's just one phone. The Lumia, or Titan II etc etc, may have different depreciate rates than the focus, thus swapping the better value at that time.

    Even if you were to look at an iphone 4s 16 gig. If someone purchased that the day it came out, they paid $199. MSRP is $650. If they broke it today, they could pay $199 deductible, plus their $6.99 /mo which equals a grand total of $241.93. Ebay is showing new from: $519.99, refurbished from: $429.99 used from: $407.00 - So at this point in time, the consumer could do the insurance replacement, get a brand new 1 year warranty on the insurance replacement, or get a used or refurbished one at a $165.07 to $188.06 price increase for a grand total of with no new warranty or product guarantee. In this case, insurance would be a MUCH better choice. And that's assuming that the prices were "buy it now" and not for bid.

    $241.93 seems better than $430 or $407

    You're also assuming that the consumer goes almost the entire length of commitment before full subsidy is available again. Isn't it said that 1 out of 4 people either lose or break their phone or get it stolen in the 1st year of owner ship? (Per Asurion) - that's a huge amount of people... the odds aren't really in the favor of assuming people will go 20 months before something happens

    So again, in a lot of cases, insurance is a very viable option for a lot of people who don't want to gamble if they're going to break it now, or if they're going to break it at the 20 month mark when they can get subsidized pricing again. In the majority of cases I see, people come out ahead cost wise by doing insurance rather than paying early upgrade/outright/used/refurbished pricing from a 3rd party or what have you....

    All i'm saying - is for a lot of people and in a lot of cases, insurance is a better option - every time i've placed a claim for someone - i calculate the total cost they've paid and give them averages of what they would have paid paying outright or used online - and in most cases they come out ahead - with paying less, and getting a phone with a warranty on it, and convenience of overnight shipping for free. :)

    is it for EVERYONE? No - but like I said, more often than not it's a very good investment.
    Last edited by Oridus; 04-18-2012 at 05:34 PM.
  22. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    558 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
    ...is it for EVERYONE? No - but like I said, more often than not it's a very good investment.
    I just want to leave it at this:

    The mere fact that AT&T and Asurion make money off of cell phone insurance means that in total, they make more money from consumers than it costs to replace phones.

    Thus, as a whole, consumers are paying more in insurance than the replacement cost of their phone.

    The "bad" customers who replace their phone often cost insurers money, and the "good" ones who don't, more than make up for it.

    I'm saying if you're a "good" one, self-insure. You can argue that the "bad" ones should get insurance. I'm fine with that and tired of trying to argue
  23. krisguy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    #23  
    It is 2 in a rolling 12 month cycle

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
  24. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    #24  
    The defect replacement alone is worth it, I think my wife went through 4 or 5 Pre's and is on her 3rd Epic 4G (one under deductible of 99). That doesn't include any times I've gotten phone replaced under the defect category covered under TEP. It's not just lost or stolen, but covers defect and a lot of service issues as well. Yah, insurance isn't for everyone but for a 600 dollar phone, i'll get it every time.
  25. vormison's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #25  
    Unlike any other kinds of insurance, phone insurance isn't really calculated on a risk by risk basis. I am an insurance agent...unfortunately.

    I work from home and have never broken a phone, not once. Any issues I've ever had with devices were covered under warranty - about 3 times in the past 10 years or so. Saying that, if I was a construction worker, used it outside of my house often, had a life, etc. I'd probably think of purchasing the insurance. However, with the way our phone plan is set up, there is almost always one of us eligible for an upgrade so it's not worth it to me.

Posting Permissions