Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

This is a copy of the letter I emailed Microsoft tonight:

I waited 14 months for the Lumia 900 to come out. I read anything I could find regarding the Windows Phone 7 platform. I believed in the software, I became an advocate for the ecosystem. I waited for news of a Nokia Windows Phone on Verizon, but it never came. I reluctantly switched to AT&T because I believed in the hero Windows Phone from Nokia. I patiently waited despite launch date rumors, remained cautiously optimistic when my first phone stopped receiving a data connection, stayed patient when my second phone stopped receiving a data connection, eagerly anticipated the software update while away on vacation, happily downloaded the software update, and even stayed optimistic when the update didn't work on my phone. I decided to keep trying, to restore my phone to a pre-update state and retry the upload. Even when that failed, I stayed optimistic about a solution in an AT&T retail store.

But after 14 months, two failed phones, one failed software update, and a boatload of patience, I've finally had it. You see, I've had it because when I tried to backup my pictures in advance of an inevitable hard reset and possible new phone, when I tried copying my pictures to MICROSOFT SKYDRIVE, my entire picture album, a week's worth of photos and videos of my one year old son, my life experience at Coachella, my memories with my wife and friends, they were wiped out. Gone. Less than 10 seconds.

I have put up with a lot over 14 months, but now I've had it. At every turn I've provided endless advocacy for Microsoft. I've been the naysayer, having tried both iOS and Android. I have fought tooth and nail for Microsoft in discussions on mobile, I have preached for Windows Phone and I have converted some believers. As a marketer, I know the power of the product advocate, the passionate customer, the true believer in your product. You had me at hello. You lost me tonight.

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
    I really beginning to dislike this forum, it's unlike any I have ever been a member of.
    Cyan Nokia Lumia 900
    eastbayrae and socialcarpet like this.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    How did you do that?

Global Posts
    3,518 Global Posts
    Are they not on your computer?
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    I really beginning to dislike this forum, it's unlike any I have ever been a member of.
    Sorry to hear that if you are upset about the forums and have comments to make please do so in the Meta forums. Please stay on topic in threads started by others.

Are you sure they aren't in your Pictures folder on your computer? Libraries > Pictures > From [Phonename] > Saved pictures

Abby says "Hello" from saved pictures and Sketch Camera!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails savedpicture-3-.jpg  

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Sounds reasonable to me...... NOT. Its always interesting how a post goes from.. everything wrong (or right) with a device to... the apologetic (or I hate it) I really hope WP7 succeeds.. but nevermind while I throw it under the bus.. LOL

Nothing wrong with the OP post.. Coulda just gone with iPhone like the rest.. really need to post here ? Just sayin.

Cause.. you know.. iPhone is perfect.. ..well.. if you hold it right :) Sorry couldnt resist :)

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    For the OP. Sorry to hear about the loss of your invaluable photos. I have only had good experiences with my L900, but can understand your frustration. Hope you find a phone that meets your needs. And thanks for giving the Lumia a chance.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

Hard to believe that you couldn't move your pix to your PC or Skydrive.
    You need to provide more details. Why trash the OS without trying to find out what happened?

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express
    Developer

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    When you hook up your phone to your computer, it copies your pictures/videos over to your computer. When you hooked it up to apply the update from Nokia, zune should have synced your phone. Pictures go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Pictures\From Lumia900.

Quote Originally Posted by Arinoshoes View Post
    But after 14 months, two failed phones, one failed software update, and a boatload of patience, I've finally had it. You see, I've had it because when I tried to backup my pictures in advance of an inevitable hard reset and possible new phone, when I tried copying my pictures to MICROSOFT SKYDRIVE, my entire picture album, a week's worth of photos and videos of my one year old son, my life experience at Coachella, my memories with my wife and friends, they were wiped out. Gone. Less than 10 seconds.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I have the opposite issue with pictures. Stupid zune software stashes my pics everywhere. I always find them in places that I never even though about looking.
    Thanked by:
    ayejay0601 likes this.

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    something doesn't seem right the pictures always sync with skydrive and show up on windows live on my computer and zune sync's them as well i am baffled.

The photos did not just "disappear", something is missing from the story here. The post count doesn't backup the story either ;)

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    how do you wipe out your pictures on skydrive by accident?

Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
    The photos did not just "disappear", something is missing from the story here. The post count doesn't backup the story either ;)
    Maybe he's been advocating on some other forum, why rush to judgement because Microsoft screwed him?

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Like others, I've always seen Zune backing up my pictures and stuff without asking
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Maybe he's been advocating on some other forum, why rush to judgement because Microsoft screwed him?
    That's the part I don't buy, from the looks of it, most others here don't either.

Maybe he was using Android phone with a metro app ;
    )

Global Posts
    2,799 Global Posts
    Check your Zune and go to your pictures section IF you've connected your phone to your computer after taking those pictures
    Nokia Lumia 1020/Blu Studio 5.0 LTE owner here...

The OPs problem lies between his screen and his keyboard.
    oldpueblo, HeyCori, rdubmu and 4 others like this.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,275 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justop26 View Post
    The OPs problem lies between his screen and his keyboard.
    Perfect reply. She clearly has no idea how to use the software and is blaming Microsoft for her own shortcomings. The Zune software allows you to backup your pictures by simply plugging your phone into the computer. In fact, the software asks you to choose your sync settings the first time you connect it to your phone. I can only imagine that the OP ignored the prompts and didn't invest time in learning how to use her device before it was too late. That, or this is all a well crafted trolling.

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    All these rants about WP7, and related hardware/software/firmware, need a separate part of the this forum.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...
    Thanked by:
    cckgz4 likes this.

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    Similar thing happened for me a couple of years ago... I had a once in a lifetime taped interview with my favorite blues singer one night that I recorded on my iPhone. The next day I was going to back it up and upgrade my is. I assumed it was going to sync/backup my phone before the update but it did not... It crashed my phone during the update. I lost everything... All personal media and apps that were not backed up... Some apps were lost forever as they could not be purchased anymore. Most importantly was the interview and it was gone...

Lesson learned is do your own backups... Do not assume. Though I never had an issuer with WP7/SkyDrive I feel your pain. WP7 has the ability to save each new pic to SkyDrive live... How did you tell it to backup? Also, have you waited a bit?

I had a client lose everything to mobile me... What a bad service to begin with... Apple could/would not help. The data could actually he seen online, but was so corrupt it could not be removed. They only offered to wipe MM. I took us almost a year working with client to recompile thousands of contacts and calendar information from multiple of old services, devices, and backups...

You just can't beat local backups... Cloud stuff is not perfect. WP7 has wireless sync that should happen each night as long as your computer is own and your phone is on tue same WiFi network. Are you sure the files are not there?

Before any upgrades or device changes. Do a manual backup so you will know all is good.

I have not lost any information on WP7 or Skydrive. I store my contacts on Live, docs and other files on SkyDrive, on my computer using Zune...

Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts
    we need to start a workflow for posting. Something that goes like:

are you ranting about your broken hardware or are you ranting about the OS

if OS, do you actually know if it is the OS or the app

if the OS, do you actually know it is a bug or user error?

and then start bucket listing all of these threads....
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Like others, I've always seen Zune backing up my pictures and stuff without asking
    Same here. I never setup any sync options and all the photos and videos I've taken with my Lumia are getting put onto SkyDrive and my laptop HDD when I sync. If you tried to get the update through Zune it would have synced/backed up the photos so they should be on your computer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast