Practical Questions

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
First of all I waited anxiously to get my Lumia 900 (for months) and I thought it was going to be the greatest OS experience I have ever had. I keep discovering all sorts of limitations and I really don't know how to work around them.

How do you manage notes?
I need a password protected note app that can be backed up. One Note for WP can't open password protected notes. That rules out the usefulness of skydrive to manage my valuable notes and lists.
I can download a functional app that allows password protection but I can't back it up. There is no true backup for Windows Phone. icloud backs up everything for the iphone, sms, apps, settings, pictures, on and on... everything. How can I put my life and business into a machine I can't backup? (I hate Apple but it's true)

How do you manage picture backup?
Automatic Skydrive upload? Since the resolution is reduced when a picture is uploaded to Skydrive that isn't a real backup. I'm assuming a backup through Zune (which I still don't completely understand) is full resolution.

What about password protected documents?
Word for WP can't open password protected docs. No phone will be a business phone when it won't open password protected documents.

What if your phone is lost, stolen, or damaged beyond use? Zune only backs up pictures and music and you can't even put that backup on a new piece of hardware. If I have other data and messages on the phone it's gone even if the original phone is still in my hand and if I have to start with a new one I start from scratch. Do you guys have a plan for protecting your data for this?

I'm hoping I just don't know how to work around these things yet. I really do welcome hearing how to solve all these concerns. Thanks

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the Zune app can backup your entire phone and restore it if need be. I had to do it one day.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the Zune app can backup your entire phone and restore it if need be. I had to do it one day.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
From what I read on the windows phone site any data you kept in apps is lost and it doesn't say that text messages are restored. I've read somewhere that Zune doesn't backup SMS. That would mean that using an app to track projects would be risky because I can't back it up.

I hope the backup is more thorough as you suggested.

How to Restore a Backup to My Phone | Windows Phone Backup | Windows Phone 7

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
From what I read on the windows phone site any data you kept in apps is lost and it doesn't say that text messages are restored. I've read somewhere that Zune doesn't backup SMS. That would mean that using an app to track projects would be risky because I can't back it up.

I hope the backup is more thorough as you suggested.

How to Restore a Backup to My Phone | Windows Phone Backup | Windows Phone 7

There is no real backup solution for WP7. The only time a backup happens is when there's an update and Zune automatically performs a backup. That backup can only be restored to the device that was originally backed up, not a new one.

Unfortunately apart from pictures which are only backed up at full res with your PC via Zune none of the other functionality you require is available with Windows Phone, to my knowledge. Maybe someone else who has been in a similar situation can offer a solution for your password protected documents requirements but I dont know of any.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Your skydrive IS password protected and secure... thus the need to login to windows live. If you need to protect access to your phone enable the screen lock.

Are you saying you share your phone with other people ?

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Your skydrive IS password protected and secure... thus the need to login to windows live. If you need to protect access to your phone enable the screen lock.

Are you saying you share your phone with other people ?
I often have to store and open documents from work that are password protected (standard procedure in my office). How do I tell people I can't view word documents that they send because a Windows Phone can't open password protected documents?

I assumed the Windows Phone would be a great phone for office docs since it has office in the OS. I never imagined it can't open files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb