Unable to pin Gmail to start screen

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I set up Gmail on my phone using 'Google Mail'. But in my list of apps, when I long click on Google Mail, the option to pin it to start screen is greyed out. How do I enable it? Do I need to set up Gmail as an Exchange account for this to happen? Also to get push email for Gmail, should it be set up as an Exchange account or will it work with the 'Google Mail' account?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
If it's greyed out, then it is already pinned. Check the very bottom of your tile screen. I don't have Gmail set up on my phone, but if you have the option to receive "as items arrive" within gmail sync settings, then that acts as push.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
also, for push email just go to the settings for the account and change the frequency to "as items arrive" and it will enable push.

just be aware that it will use a bit more data and battery compared to a low frequency pull setting.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
also, for push email just go to the settings for the account and change the frequency to "as items arrive" and it will enable push.

just be aware that it will use a bit more data and battery compared to a low frequency pull setting.

Thanks for the tip! Btw, will enabling the frequency to "as items arrive" also make my Gmail tile 'live'? Will it start showing new and unread email information? Right now my Gmail tile is pretty static.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! Btw, will enabling the frequency to "as items arrive" also make my Gmail tile 'live'? Will it start showing new and unread email information? Right now my Gmail tile is pretty static.

The built-in e-mail client tile only shows how many "new" e-mail messages you have. Notice I didn't say unread, it only shows you how many have come in since the last time you checked. The tile is a bit small to show e-mail content anyway. Some third party e-mail clients might do more but I haven't even looked for any.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well maybe, if you get hundreds of emails a day. Meaning more often than the scheduled pulls. But as you phone is always connected to Microsoft's servers at a very low level, regardless of email settings, if you only get 12 messages a day, only 12 syncs. Compared to maybe 24 if you were set to every hour.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

like others have said, it will only show unseen email counts, a 1x1 tile is too small to show any kind of details without becoming very cramped.

Well maybe, if you get hundreds of emails a day. Meaning more often than the scheduled pulls. But as you phone is always connected to Microsoft's servers at a very low level, regardless of email settings, if you only get 12 messages a day, only 12 syncs. Compared to maybe 24 if you were set to every hour.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I agree that the battery and data usage is negligible for people who's days are not centered around tons of email, but I feel like it's still something people should know of just in case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism