Been a week since I bought the Lumia 900 and here are my impressions.

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I used to be an Android fan, but I decided that my old Samsung Galaxy S was getting on in the years and needed an upgrade. First, I went into the AT&T store thinking I was going to walk out with a Samsung Note, but after looking and playing with the Nokia I had a change of heart. It helped that the store manager told me that the phone was completely free. Well, except the $34 upgrade fee. So I said what could I loose and took the plunge.

My first impressions of the Lumi was great. The asthetics of the phone are in another class from it's competition. It really feels/look great. I really liked the size of the phone, screen and the weight of the phone itself. The screen is comparable, if not better, than my old GS AMOLED screen and it just plain looks awesome! The phone is very responsive and I haven't had any lag at all. The phone is VERY fast, whether it's on 4G or LTE. For some reason the Lumi isn't all the fast on wifi, but that could be due to the cable company or possibly the router. Call quality is outstanding and the speaker is more than adequate even for those who might be deaf. As you might already have guessed I like this phone overall, but there are some caveats.

First, I'm used to Android and the ability to adjust pretty much everything to my taste and although the Lumi allows a some adjustability it is nowhere near what an Android phone can do. So that has been a bit frustrating. Second, I've noticed that the lack of good QUALITY apps is quite severe. I know Win OS is still new compared to Apple & Android, but it's to a point that it's frustrating. I can hardly find apps that I've been accustomed to and forget trying to find any decent apps for free. On the flip side, the fact that Microsoft watches over their OS like nazi's makes for a stable OS even with the few apps I've downloaded. No instability and crashing like the apps on Android.

Overall, thumbs up for the Lumi!

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Curious to hear what missing apps are frustrating for you. I know everyone is different, but when I think about this phone it has everything I would want (best Office apps, OneNote, Evernote, Netflix, Skype, TripIt, Facebook/Twitter built into OS and as native apps). I like to hear what others are looking for in case I'm missing out ;-)

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Curious to hear what missing apps are frustrating for you. I know everyone is different, but when I think about this phone it has everything I would want (best Office apps, OneNote, Evernote, Netflix, Skype, TripIt, Facebook/Twitter built into OS and as native apps). I like to hear what others are looking for in case I'm missing out ;-)

To be honest, this feeling might be coming from the fact that I've lost a vast majority of the apps I've become so accustomed to. At the top of my head the music search/downloader app is one that I miss. There are like two similar apps for the Lumi, but aren't nearly as functional and can't seem to find any songs to download.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Tried zune pass free trial? I was like you, but after getting hooked I realized I wasn't really missing the apps I had and I was no longer wasting my time tweaking things just because I could. I started actually using my phone as a communication device instead of a bad laptop. I was just used to the apps being there but didn't use most of them often. I've found equivalents, and for the few that just aren't there... the benefits of WP7 outweigh them easily.

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Tried zune pass free trial? I was like you, but after getting hooked I realized I wasn't really missing the apps I had and I was no longer wasting my time tweaking things just because I could. I started actually using my phone as a communication device instead of a bad laptop. I was just used to the apps being there but didn't use most of them often. I've found equivalents, and for the few that just aren't there... the benefits of WP7 outweigh them easily.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to check out the zune free trial and I'm definitely going to give the Lumi a fair shot. I had just about come to the end of my patience with Andriod crashes so this will be damn refreshing.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, this feeling might be coming from the fact that I've lost a vast majority of the apps I've become so accustomed to. At the top of my head the music search/downloader app is one that I miss. There are like two similar apps for the Lumi, but aren't nearly as functional and can't seem to find any songs to download.

Not sure what you mean, but is this something along the lines of Shazaam? There's also the music search option in Bing when you hit your search key, just hit the music note. It'll find it, then link you right to marketplace to download it.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you mean, but is this something along the lines of Shazaam? There's also the music search option in Bing when you hit your search key, just hit the music note. It'll find it, then link you right to marketplace to download it.

And it'll be free with a Zune pass subscription too (unless it's one of the minority not free).

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I started out with Treo, then Windows Mobile, then Android, and now back to Windows.
I just got my Lumia 900 Sunday (paid full price) I'm sick of Android. So far so good with the phone.

Wish: I could rent/purchase Zune movies from the phone.

Like: Xbox Companion App and Ziggy.

Dislike: The phone seems to have connection issues when I'm at home when wifi and data are both on. And the hotspot doesn't shut down when I'm not connected to my iPad (my Android phone did), so my battery drains fast. I just need to get use to shutting it down when I go to meetings.

Strange: No concept of folders.

Glad I made the switch.

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

No not like shazam. I forget the name of the app, but it's the one that allowed you to download mp3 files free. I know I know...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3