Do I need a screen protector

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a nice gel case on the phone. Do I need a screen protector with the Gorilla Glass? I really like the smooth feel.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I found the screen protector made the screen much more responsive. I was getting an unresponsive screen...once I put the protector on it, the screen movements were highly responsive.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I had one put on when I got mine and walked out the store. After two days I decided to take it off and use it without. A day later I put it back on.....way too many smudges and fingerprints for my taste.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Scratched the screen on my first 900 within a couple of days. The replacement has been under a screen protector since it came out of the box!!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I say yes. I didn't get one based on the Gorilla Glass, and now have a big scratch on my brand new phone. Gorilla Glass is not scratch proof, it is scratch resistent.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Why would he/she need one? It's got Gorilla glass for a reason. It's their choice to get one or not, but it's definitely not needed.

If you're 100% certain that you will never drop your phone, then you don't need it.

I dropped my Samsung Focus on gravel. It landed face first and it still shattered the Gorilla glass.

My co-worker dropped his iPhone 4. It had a gel case, but no screen protector. It landed square on it's back and it still shattered the Gorilla glass.

In fact, I'm more inclined to put a screen protector on the 900 and not bother w/ a gel case because I'm interested in protecting the Gorilla glass display instead of the polycarbonate backside.

Gemini Ace

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest a protector. I bought the one at the AT&T store that can be removed and washed. It works well, but slides a bit in the pocket. Where's my Otterbox?!

wastegate

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
If you're 100% certain that you will never drop your phone, then you don't need it.

I dropped my Samsung Focus on gravel. It landed face first and it still shattered the Gorilla glass.

My co-worker dropped his iPhone 4. It had a gel case, but no screen protector. It landed square on it's back and it still shattered the Gorilla glass.

In fact, I'm more inclined to put a screen protector on the 900 and not bother w/ a gel case because I'm interested in protecting the Gorilla glass display instead of the polycarbonate backside.

You've got to be kidding. I've dropped my old Samsung GS a bunch of times and it still looks fairly new today. Once I dropped it from a 2nd story stairs onto the cement parking lot and you could hardly tell it was scratched unless you really looked at it. That thing didn't even have Gorilla glass. When I get home I'll take a few pictures of my SGS and post it up. You will be astonished how good the thing looks after 2 yrs of abuse. I was hoping for the same or similar quality from the Lumi.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
This will be my third device with Gorilla glass and it holds up to neglect pretty good. The screen on the Lumia 900 feels silky smooth and I don't want a screen protector taking away from that feeling. I can't stand screen protectors and will not be using one on my Lumia 900.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on how you use your phone. When I am not using mine, it is in a pocket all by itself. So I haven't used a screen protector on my past 2-3 phones. and only ever got minor scratches, even with the occasional drop. I haven't found a screen protector that I like as much or better than bare glass, so that is probably part of it too. Also, maybe I don't produce much oil on my skin, but I don't find the smudges and fingerprints to be an issue. If anything, they are less than what I dealt with on my HTC Trophy.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I hated the smudges on the screen without a Screen Protector. Now I have one installed, it's shinny and I just bought some Matte Screen protectors from eBay. I know it'll downgrade the screen a little, but i'll rather have that than smudges.

*Smudges = Fingerprints on screen.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You've got to be kidding. I've dropped my old Samsung GS a bunch of times and it still looks fairly new today. Once I dropped it from a 2nd story stairs onto the cement parking lot and you could hardly tell it was scratched unless you really looked at it. That thing didn't even have Gorilla glass. When I get home I'll take a few pictures of my SGS and post it up. You will be astonished how good the thing looks after 2 yrs of abuse. I was hoping for the same or similar quality from the Lumi.

No, I am not kidding. A month after I got my Samsung Focus, I fumbled it out of my pants pocket and onto gravel and it put one crack across the screen. Cost me $150 to replace the digitizer from Samsung. Another friend dropped his Focus in his garage w/ the same result. Search my posts in the Focus forum.

My co-worker is hoping he'll just be able to replace the glass and not the entire digitizer on his iPhone 4. His looks as though an 18-wheeler ran over it, and he dropped his from shoulder height (it was resting on a shelf).

I have a screen protector on my Motorola Xoom tablet. I dropped a multi-tool on it and it just chipped the screen protector. I can only imagine what it would have done to the Gorilla glass if the screen protector was not there. If a $10 screen protector can mitigate the risk of cracking or shattering the Gorilla glass on your device, then it's a no-brainer to me.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
2nd failed attempt at applying the Skinomi! For now I'm going skin-less and transporting the phone in a holster. I don't plan to put it in my pocket with keys and other things that could scratch the screen. I love the feel of the screen and I feel in the end the screen skin will dull the experience.

h11wiscan

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
2nd failed attempt at applying the Skinomi! For now I'm going skin-less and transporting the phone in a holster. I don't plan to put it in my pocket with keys and other things that could scratch the screen. I love the feel of the screen and I feel in the end the screen skin will dull the experience.

I was wondering if this is the Skinomi skin you got and is it a full body protector? Not really clear in the description, but one of the pictures has a diagram showing where all the different pieces of the protector go on the phone?

And its only $10 shipped on amazon, just wondering if this was too good to be true?

http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-DryTe...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1656934

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is almost impossible to scratch. Its not impossible to crack though, no glass is, but it's very very tough. No screen protector us designed to prevent glass from cracking or shattering. It *might* offer a tiny bit of extra protection from that, but if you're dropping the phone hard enough to shatter Gorilla Glass, odds are something's getting broken.

Personally I hate screen protectors. Here I've got this beautiful superAMOLED+ clear black screen protected by gorilla glass. Do I really want to look at it through a foggy piece of saran wrap with bubbles under it like a cheap tint job? **** no. I don't care if you buy the best screen protector on the market and have it installed by a surgeon in a vacuum, its still going too look like butthole compared to naked screen and it will never feel as nice beneath the finger tips.

I'm very careful with my phone and I have insurance, that's all I need. Not adding a 2lb 5" thick otterbox either. No thanks.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786