Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Is there any possible chance that the screen is capable of a higher resolution than what it current shows? I know it is real wishful thinking that a future update, aka Apollo, would allow better resolution on this phone but I thought I would bring it up. Doesn't make any sense for Nokia to put in a better screen then what WP7 is a capable of but...

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Nope. Never heard of that being possible on any phone.

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
    the resolution is set in stone unless some miracle update puts more pixels on the display which is not likely.
    Cyan Nokia Lumia 900

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    the resolution is set in stone unless some miracle update puts more pixels on the display which is not likely.
    The real question was if the native resolution is greater than the max currently allowed by wp7. That's why software could make a difference. I was trying to find a screen model number somewhere online but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    The real question was if the native resolution is greater than the max currently allowed by wp7. That's why software could make a difference. I was trying to find a screen model number somewhere online but I can't find it.
    That is true though I am not sure if phones have hardware scaling in them to handle this. You can also usually tell if LCD screens are not running at their native resolution by looking at them. Also, it wouldn't make any sense to spend more money for more pixels that won't be used now...especially at the phone's price point.

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Short answer to that question is NO. MS mandates max resolutions for all phones that run W7 OS. They actually have a very tight control on hardware for manufacturers that want to run Windows OS.
    MAN LAW #17: A man in the company of a HOT, seductively dressed, woman must remain sober enough to fight!

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
    Short answer to that question is NO. MS mandates max resolutions for all phones that run W7 OS. They actually have a very tight control on hardware for manufacturers that want to run Windows OS.
    I knew wp7 software only allowed a certain resolution, didn't know the screens would be limited from a hardware stand point. Thanks.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I knew wp7 software only allowed a certain resolution, didn't know the screens would be limited from a hardware stand point. Thanks.
    The limit is imposed by the kernel, it just can't deal with bigger screens. The silverlight software stack running above that is scalable, so once higher resolution screens become available in WP8 the existing WP7 apps will scale up automatically and look as good as if they were written for that resolution.