Lumia 900 Variences - Screen, Speaker, & Vibration

Rebelatheart

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Long story short....I have 3 Lumias in my possesion at the moment.

Why?...Well, My first Lumia was fine (so i thought) until I took it in to an ATT store to get a new sim card and the dumb rep mishandled my phone and put a light scratch on the screen (long story)

I get Amazon to send a replacment and....the replacement has the vibration rattle thing (electric shaver sound). Also the screen had this yellowish tinge.

So, Amazon sends another replacement...this one had the vibration rattle..but not as bad, but also has the a "dimmer" screen.

Both replacements had a louder speaker than my original 900. Also, the headphone output seemed REALLY low..I didnt have my headphones available to test on the replacements, so i have no idea if the output blows on those as well....I had the phone on 30 and it was low. I dont have bad hearing and at 30, it wasnt remotely "loud". On the Datpiff app (hip hop mixtape app), the sound was barely audible..now that could be the app in that instance.

Testing (Very Basic I know lol):

Speaker:

Played the same song Linkin Park song from the marketplace and my original 900 had a lower volume than the replacments. I always felt that the speaker could be louder. The replacments arent drastically lounder at all, but I could definitely hear the difference as I kept pausing the original and listening to the replacments.

Screen.

Looking at the pic left to right....Original/2nd replacement/1st replacement

Before placing them together, I felt that the original had the best color. I thought the other two had a yellow tinge. When i put the 2nd replacement (Middle) next to my original 900, I think I liked the colors on the replacement more. It actually made the original seem a little "yellowish". Only problem was that it seemed dim.

To test, I put all three together. ALL 3 are set to low brightness, with auto brigthness off.

The Original is the brightest, and the 2nd replacement in the middle is the dimmest. You can see that on the guy to the right..you cant really make out his face. Now, I dont know if the one in the middle is just more accurate (as I feel like it was the whitest whites and blackest blacks) or if it really has a problem and is just dim.

Now, all the phones dont look bad individually...its just when they're together that i noticed the differences.

Ive concluded that I will either keep one...leaning towards the one in the middle (had a slight rattle, but not too bad), or send all 3 back...I actually thought about just keeping the first one, until a realized that the speaker output was low.

Fyi, I updated the first one, but not the two replacements.

Anyone else notice any variances in screen quality with in their search for a non rattling 900?

Which one do you guys think looks best? (I know its subjective)

PhotoApr2665711PM.jpg

Original/2nd replacement (dim???)
PhotoApr2664800PM.jpg

White screen test (Original/2nd replacement)
PhotoApr2670421PM.jpg

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Same screen problem here, just got the replacement for battery issue, but the screen on the replacement just look so yellowish... However, some color look more vibrant, but some not. Tired of getting replacements, but I think I'll have to call amazon again. Cost nothing, but it sure is annoying.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Same screen problem here, just got the replacement for battery issue, but the screen on the replacement just look so yellowish... However, some color look more vibrant, but some not. Tired of getting replacements, but I think I'll have to call amazon again. Cost nothing, but it sure is annoying.

Did your replacement have a better battery? Bought mine from amazon as well and the battery may actually be getting worse, may just exchange it myself.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I had that yellow tinge thing too, then it went away. I got two replacements from Amazon, each replacement looked yellower than the other, so I gave I a a break, and when I returned my original looked yellower than the other replacements. Just a thought. If it really is yellower you'll notice it more when you have the keyboard out in a dark theme.
You should also check out camera quality, and look at the lens carefully. I noticed my second one had better lo light, but wasn't that great with decent lighting; not to mention its water damage indicator was already tripped.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Did your replacement have a better battery? Bought mine from amazon as well and the battery may actually be getting worse, may just exchange it myself.

Yes it did, slightly. And the rattling sound gets a lot better. However, the screen looked so terrible comparing to my original one(even the blue color of the life tile on my original one is more vibrant), it is actually on the way back to amazon. Hope the third one gets better.

I've been a huge nokia fan for ten years, and I used to be proud of their QC. I guess not anymore.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I had that yellow tinge thing too, then it went away. I got two replacements from Amazon, each replacement looked yellower than the other, so I gave I a a break, and when I returned my original looked yellower than the other replacements. Just a thought. If it really is yellower you'll notice it more when you have the keyboard out in a dark theme.
You should also check out camera quality, and look at the lens carefully. I noticed my second one had better lo light, but wasn't that great with decent lighting; not to mention its water damage indicator was already tripped.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Interesting, that the yellowish tinge of my replacement went slightly away as I use it more, but it is still pretty obvious when comparing under diagnostic.

Also, I've found out the screen color of the replacement changes with viewing angle- from certain angle, the color is fine, but definitely look yellowish from top view. My original one did not have that problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05