Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I've noticed that whenever I open up a webpage, or any application for that matter that has a lot of white on the screen, the entire page seems to be dim.. Does your phone do this? Open up Google, and then press the menu button. You'll notice when the menu pops up the page illuminates, but when you go back to focus on the main page, it'll get darker again... whites look terrible on this screen...

Global Posts
    8,061 Global Posts
    I read somewhere that it's a battery saving feature, and Samsung, who made the AMOLED panel, has a feature to turn it off in their settings on Windows Phones. Nokia doesn't have the option so you're forced into it.

It's mainly because an all white (or mostly white even) screen on an AMOLED display is a huge battery drain.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Do you also have the purple hue issue too?

This is a well known problem for AMOLED screens. They don't reproduce whites with accuracy and are generally oversaturated in color. If you are looking for true whites go the SLCD route as on the Titan. The upside is colors pop but its a constant trade-off against whites and creating the hues you see on your screen.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    Last edited by WPDiddy; 04-28-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    dumb phone > Palm Pre > Palm Pre+ > HTC Arrive> HTC EVO LTE > No more Windows Phones until WP gets Swype.

The reason is that OLED (AMOLED) displays, when displaying a white screen, consume 4-5 times more energy than they do on average when displaying a colored screen.

Think besides the OLED display, you're going to get a little bit reduce of white from the ClearBlack technology which makes everything else just pop out of the screen.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    White looks perfect on the 900 when you put a Samsung next to it.
    Press it...press it for glory!
    L900W: 8779, warranty replacement from Nokia
    Former: Focus S, Focus

I have battery saver on, but I haven't really noticed. No purple hues either.