| | 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM #1
I went to the Beyond the Tiles experience here in Boston tonight, and while there I finally got a hands-on with the Lumia 900. I hadn't even seen the device up to this point. My thoughts:
1) It's big. Holy cow, it dwarfs my HTC Surround. The first thing the guy beside me said when they handed them out was, "It's huge". It's much larger in RL than it appears in pictures.
2) The screen is absolutely gorgeous. Just amazing. They didn't have an HTC Titan II there for comparison, although a video they played at the beginning of the presentation had them side-by-side for a moment. From the looks of it, the screen on the Titan II is very much like the screen on my Surround, which is perfectly fine but the colors aren't saturated at all. Meanwhile, the Lumia 900 screen has really deep blacks and saturated colors that pop off the screen. I sat there and performed meaningless tasks on it just to watch the screen do its thing.
3) The Gorilla Glass felt great to swipe on. It's hard to explain, but I felt like I had just the right amount of "grip". A very smooth browsing experience overall.
4) I wasn't a huge fan of its non-rounded corners. When I held the phone in my left hand, the bottom-left corner tended to poke my palm a bit, which was a bit annoying.
5) I also wasn't a fan of its case texture. It was really slippery, and would defiinitely need one of the gel cases in order for me to grip it without dropping it constantly. I felt like I was holding a really expensive bar of wet soap.
6) The cyan color didn't wow me like I thought it would. I really didn't like the color at all, actually. One of the reps there had a white one though, and holy crap that thing looked AWESOME. That's definitely the color I want, which is not at all what I expected.
7) I thought the placement of its power button was strange. I'm used to iPhones and HTC phones that have the power button on the top left/right of the device; having it on the right side (and in the middle, no less) just seemed weird.
Overall I have my gripes, but the Lumia 900 is one sweet phone. Having a look at it in person totally sold me...that screen is just too beautiful to pass up. Any thoughts of picking up a Titan II just went out the window.