Capacitive Buttons Issue

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I'm not having an issue with the capacitive buttons at the bottom, but at points my screen will get ultra sensitive. Keyboard button presses will sometimes double or it will act as if multiple different keys are pressed all at once. Scrolling gets jumpy or scrolling will zoom in/out on zoomable content. At first I thought it was maybe something on the screen, but cleaning it doesn't help. I have to do a restart. Anyone else experience this? I got the phone Wednesday night and this has happened once a day so far. :( wondering if it would get fixed in tango or if it's something I should exchange it over?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
FWIW - My first 900 didn't have this problem. I got a replacement from AT&T (first one was tragically lost in a car accident) that saw this problem occur very frequently. I took that one in and got it replaced under warranty and the new one does not do this. So, I definitely think it's a hardware issue and one that you should work w/ AT&T to get replaced.

nez99

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Dang, you might be on to something. The only time my phones acts up is when I use my headphones. Well, this is only when I go to the gym. Some exercises, I tuck my phone in my waistband so I don't crush it, and it comes out wet. I just wipe it off. I have noticed moisture in the 2nd camera. I will experiment with this.

Holy moly this dude may be right. I thought his suggestion was ridiculous but I just wiped the capacitive buttons clean and its not happening anymore ... yet :p

nez99

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Holy moly this dude may be right. I thought his suggestion was ridiculous but I just wiped the capacitive buttons clean and its not happening anymore ... yet :p
I'm getting this thing replaced anyway from Nokia direct, based on what a lot of people are saying here and in the Nokia forum, some don't get this symptom at all so it must be faulty.

nez99

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
So after convincing Nokia Care it was a hardware fault this is the defect description she wrote on my form that I need to send into their fault technician:

"ignored the concern above, teh customer said that when he is not touching the phone the voice command launch by itself even if he is using the loudspeaker it activated the voice command"

Seriously wtf? I had to painfully explain the fault to three different people, none of them had any idea what any of the capacitive buttons did. In fact I don't think any of them actually understood what a capacitive button is!

I'm including a highly detailed fault description of my own but I'm still not hopeful the technician will be able to replicate it if he's as special as the three people I've already talked to :(

nez99

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokia are so useless. 3 phone calls later. I've sent it to them for repair and included a detailed description of how to replicate the issue as well as citing this thread and others that back it up. They returned it to me, "updated software, factory reset, working fine". *sigh*. Called them back and talked to Complaints and got very angry with them. Now rather than sending to Australia they will send to an American technician. Still not hopeful, despite my efforts I'm sure it will be returned saying, 'fine'. So annoying being without your phone for extended periods of time. This would NEVER happen with Apple.

nez99

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, trust me this is NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE. I had all the same symptoms as people have mentioned here. First time I sent it away I put detailed instructions on various ways to reproduce it as well as citing this forum and the Nokia one.

First time it was returned back to me after having been updated and factory reset which was EXACTLY the state I sent it to them in.

Obviously I was fuming and lodged a formal complaint. So rather than send it to a two bit dumb *** technician in Sydney, Australia they sent it to the United States where AT&T send their Nokia phones for technical assessment. 9 days including a weekend later it was shipped back to me in New Zealand good as new.

They replaced the entire touch interface including the capacitive buttons and the bottom speaker. Pretty much replaced the entire guts of the phone.

Works fine now, very pleased.

So yeah just to reiterate, this is NOT a software fault. If you have this, your phone is broken!

simzzdev

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! Hardware issue! I dropped my Lumia (I have a thread about it in this forum) and replacing the digitizer/lcd FIXED the capacitive buttons issue.

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Agreed! Hardware issue! I dropped my Lumia (I have a thread about it in this forum) and replacing the digitizer/lcd FIXED the capacitive buttons issue.

well that sucks. Ive had this problem since the L900's launch. Just noticed this weekend that my upper left corner is slightly cracked. So, if I wasnt SOL on warranty grounds before, I am now. And to be honest, as much as I like the 920, I just dont know if i can be an early adopter for Nokia anymore. Despite how much i disliked the feel of my Focus and Focus S, I may go back to Samsung...boooooooooooooooooooo

Lottie Ward

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I opted for the Lumia 900 for one of my upgrades. I noticed that the capacitive buttons did tend to act on their own. Did some research and decided I did not want to get a replacement or send it in. I found that a few people had removed their screens and placed foil between just under the screen making a barrier between the buttons and the speaker. Evidently there is some sort of malfunction due to the magnet in the speaker causing the buttons to act up. Putting the foil in as a barrier has stopped the issue. My phone seems to be working perfect now with no issue with the buttons at all. It took me 5 minutes to fix.

Hope that may be of help to some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99