Lumia 900 vs HTC Titan II

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I like the lumia design and screen much better, but I cannot seem to get one that works well. I'm on my third, and I think I may be done trying...

I moved to the Titan II after my second L900 left me stranded without a phone. I know or hope this was an isolated case but I just can't have my phone dieing when all I did was turn it off. The L900 is superior in some ways but build quality doesn't seam to be one of them. The TII is the better device for me. Anyone thing of changing from the L900 to the TII will be getting a different device with the same WP goodness so don't be scared to make the change. My opinion is you can't go wrong with either device. After 2 tries with the L900 I decided it wasn't worth the hustle looking for a good one when the TII was right there ready to go. After 3 weeks with the TII I haven't had one single issue.

That's nice that you feel that way. However its a proved fact the Lima's screen is much better. In fact it's the best of them all and I have science to back that up, not just opinion.

See for yourself:

Tablet and Smartphone Displays Under Bright Ambient Lighting Shoot-Out

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

This and durability are the only places that the L900 beats the TII. Don't get me wrong the difference isn't enough to make me want the L900. The Clear black technology used it the L900 does makes the it the clear winner in this category. Size and Price, these devices are almost the same size so don't worry about the TII screen making it a bigger device the difference is minimal, but the TII does cost $100 more.

If build quality, camera and screen size are important to you get the TII. If screen quality and durability are what you need get the L900 just be prepared to go through a couple of device looking for a good one. Many people get a good one first time around it just didn't work that way for me. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones and get a good L900 first time around.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Man, these L900 vs. T2 threads are getting old. I own a L900, but will admit both phones have their advantages, so it's your choice.

It seems there are about a dozen or so WPC users who have had "real" problems with their L900s (notice the s). (About half that many at XDA). And you know that people with issues speak the loudest. One was resolved by Nokia (great story) recently. I wish Nokia could take care of the rest, with QC certified devices. Wouldn't cost any more than a few emails and some free shipping. For every one problem user there are most likely 10 or 20 lurking around with beautifully different original L900s. Just gets tiring posting in every thread, "my original L900 works great".

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

nlocurto

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
That's nice that you feel that way. However its a proven fact the Lumia's screen is much better. In fact it's the best of them all and I have science to back that up, not just opinion.

See for yourself:

http://www.displaymate.com/Mobile_Brightness_ShootOut_2.htm

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

The HTC One X screen is by far the best screen on any mobile device. Read any review tech site and you will see whatevr proof you need.

..Gromet

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Man, these L900 vs. T2 threads are getting old. I own a L900, but will admit both phones have their advantages, so it's your choice.

It seems there are about a dozen or so WPC users who have had "real" problems with their L900s (notice the s). (About half that many at XDA). And you know that people with issues speak the loudest. One was resolved by Nokia (great story) recently. I wish Nokia could take care of the rest, with QC certified devices. Wouldn't cost any more than a few emails and some free shipping. For every one problem user there are most likely 10 or 20 lurking around with beautifully different original L900s. Just gets tiring posting in every thread, "my original L900 works great".

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Ditto..Original Lumia 900 no issues.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The HTC One X screen is by far the best screen on any mobile device. Read any review tech site and you will see whatevr proof you need.

..Gromet

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Review? My Review is in store test and looking at it directly under sunlight it failed. Other than that, I didn't notice much difference.

Plus Lumia is outselling HTC-X one....have fun.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Socialcarpet, either your reading comprehension has failed or you are being intentionally misleading. That test was under high ambient lighting conditions. In other words, bright sunlight. This is not where most use occurs. If you look at both devices under normal lighting conditions, you will see the T2 is obviously brighter under these typical conditions.

Am I saying the T2 is better, not exactly. Overall, the Lumia display is better because of black blacks, vibrant colors, and outdoor view ability. The T2 is better in typical use brightness and typing with larger hands, like mine. Reading text on the T2 is immensely better because of this.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

I see, so the T2 is brighter inside under normal lighting.

I'm not really quite sure how that's an advantage when I've never seen a single phone that wasn't bright enough to view very comfortably when you're sitting inside.

My personal experience has been that most phones are very easy to read inside under normal lighting and in the dark. I've never heard anyone complain about a phone screen not being bright enough and before now, I'd never heard anyone brag about how awesome it is that their phone screen is so bright. If you're citing that a "plus" in the Titan II's column you're really reaching.

However, I have heard a lot of people complain about the visibility of a phone screen outdoors in sunlight.

I guess we'll have to let each person decide on their own which is more of an advantage in the real world.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
One X far from perfect. I traded my lumia in at day 29 for a one x and regret it. Wifi flakier than lumia's was before the update. Update promised at end of month. Overall experience doesn't compare. I think the grass always looks greener. Even the camera on the One X, while nice, isn't perfect.

I think Nokia is bringing a lot to the table, pushing the WP7 ecosystem forward. I'm selling the One X and coming back to WP7. I think it's all about finding what works for you. Maybe there are more "features" in Android, but to me the overall experience is nowhere near as tied together and functional for my day to day use. I enjoy android on my tablet (though I'm looking forward to the WP8 tablets coming) but not on my phone.

You mentioned WP8 tablets and I drooled a little bit....:D

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
While its pointless and indeed, childish to argue which phone is better, the good thing I like about it is that people are passionate about Windows Phone, or whatever it is that they are using.

algs26

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the L900's screen and chassis design are better than the Titan II's. The One X's screen on the other hand, has an AMOLED-like quality about it; sharp, very colorful and bright. The polycarbonate body looks great too.

Hoping Nokia will port some form of its PureView camera tech from the 808 into a WP8 model.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

If I wanted too, I could pull up 2x that many threads about the L900 but not gonna waste my time, so your point is mute, the sad part is when somebody has to return the phone 2-3 times and still doesn't have a perfectly working cell phone. I know you will say the phone has sold 10-1, does that include all the phones people have had to return? I talked to somebody at At&t and they told me, the Lumia is a product nightmire. They never have had this many returns on one single phone in the last 3 years.

Honestly the Titan II is a much better working cell phone for meAfter having two L900, I was tired of having to return it. If I have to return a phone more than once, it isn't for me. Not if I am have to sign a 2 year contract to have it at the contract price. Never been happier with the Titan II.

About the screen, the L900 has a much better screen. Especially in direct sunlight. I was so surprised i could see it on auto-brightness. The only complaints is in low light situations the screen was too bright. I found that some reds/blue and greens in the games i played were over saturated. I didn't see this when I watched videos thou. Still think thou overal the L900 has a better screen.

The Camera on my L900 took okay photos during daylight hours, during low light situations when I would be most likely take a pictures because I will be out with my Fiance or friends at a restaurant. it took horrible pictures. It is missing a BSI Sensor so it can't be fixed by any software. The Titan II camera is by far the better camera, it just isn't a little bit better, it is a lot better.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If I wanted too, I could pull up 2x that many threads about the L900 but not gonna waste my time, so your point is mute

Moot. The point is moot, is what you meant to say. Moot means "open to discussion or debate, doubtful". But you're wrong. My point was simply that all phone have problems, not just the Lumia. That point is definitely not moot. All phones do have problems, not just the Lumia. That is a fact, not "open to discussion or debate or doubtful".

I'm sure you can pull up 2x the number of threads about the L900, and again, we all know that the L900 outsells the Titan several times over. So in all actuality, your insinuation that there being more complaint posts about the L900 than there are about the Titan II is an indication that the phone itself is less reliable is actually the point that's "moot" here.

And that's the whole reason I inserted myself into this debate. I'm tired of some Titan II owners implying that the Titan II is some paragon of reliability just because the the handful of people who bought one don't post about it as much as the 100's who bought Lumia's. Coorelation does not imply causation and all that. Your anecdotal experience, while unfortunate, does not equal empirical evidence and a representative sample of one, is statistically meaningless. If you had an equal representative sample of and appropriate size for both phones and the sales were about equal, then you might be able to establish one's reliability over the other. But you don't, therefore your conclusion is erroneous....and your point is moot. :) This is something better left to Consumers Reports, not a seat of the pants theory.

the sad part is when somebody has to return the phone 2-3 times and still doesn't have a perfectly working cell phone. I know you will say the phone has sold 10-1, does that include all the phones people have had to return? I talked to somebody at At&t and they told me, the Lumia is a product nightmire. They never have had this many returns on one single phone in the last 3 years.

Agreed, that sucks and if I had to return my phone 2-3 times, I'd be pissed. Again, your experience might be coloring your judgement here. One guys experience and some conversation with one guy at AT&T doesn't mean much to me. I won't deny that the Lumia has had launch issues, everyone knows that. I'm just of the opinion that it's been blown way out of proportion by a very vocal minority.

Honestly the Titan II is a much better working cell phone for meAfter having two L900, I was tired of having to return it. If I have to return a phone more than once, it isn't for me. Not if I am have to sign a 2 year contract to have it at the contract price. Never been happier with the Titan II.

I understand this completely. It's very likely I would have done the same thing in your shoes.

The Camera on my L900 took okay photos during daylight hours, during low light situations when I would be most likely take a pictures because I will be out with my Fiance or friends at a restaurant. it took horrible pictures. It is missing a BSI Sensor so it can't be fixed by any software. The Titan II camera is by far the better camera, it just isn't a little bit better, it is a lot better.

I believe you. I think a software update will only be able to do so much. That said, I've seen lots of cameras without BSI sensors that could still take good low light pictures, better than the L900 does now for sure. BSI sensors were relatively uncommon up until a couple of years ago and many phone cameras still don't have them. It's not as if no digital camera took good low light pictures before then.

That said, I am a little disappointed in Nokia too, especially considering the quality of their phone cameras is one of the things they are known for. I think in the end it's just one of the compromises they felt they had to make to keep the price of the phone down and hit that $99 mark. I'm not too worried about it because I don't take a ton of important pics with my phone. If I'm going to a beauty spot or on a trip I have a digital SLR for that which no camera phone is going to replace.... at least not until Nokia inevitably introduces a Lumia with a PureView camera, which is going to make the Titan II's camera look like a Polaroid One Step. I can wait. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb