Battery died quickly today for first time

zinrai

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I went to see The Avengers today and noticed my battery lost 80% of it's charge in 2.5 hours and my phone was hot after the movie. I've had the phone for month now and have been able to squeeze nearly 44 hours of use out of it between charges before. The only apps I had running in the background were Weather Master and Cellular Data. I didn't know Cellular Data was running, so I turned it off. No clue if that was the problem or maybe the phone couldn't connect to the network correctly and kept trying to. Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Some theaters are using cell blockers these days plus being in a theater could make cellular reception hard to maintain. This defiantly could be your battery drain. I would keep an eye on it for a couple of days and see if it is better now. As for Cellular Data as a background task, I've never seen that is that an app you are using?

zinrai

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's an AT&T app. All it is is a shortcut tile for toggling your data on and off. Not sure why it runs in the background though. Also, thanks for the info. I'm going back to the theater today, so I'll try turning off all data to see if that makes a difference.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I usually put my phone in airplane mode when I hit the theater, and switch it out when the movie ends to avoid problems like that one. Once you get into the habit of doing it, it'll become second nature.

zinrai

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Put it in airplane mode the next day and had no problems. Thanks!

New question though. Does anyone think the battery could drain this fast inside of Wal-Mart (or any large metal building)? I went in to Wal-Mart today and the phone started heating up and the battery started to drain. I had to turn the phone off and on to keep it from draining. Again, I've never had this problem before and I haven't downloaded anything new.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I definitely do not think it should happen inside WalMart. Keep in mind, when your cellular signal is low, more battery will drain. This is the case with all phones. So, if you have low reception inside WalMart, that could be the case.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

_ J _

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my phone, the battery would drain within 2 hours. It was having some other issues as well and they(ATT store) replaced it for me. The reps said they had seen this a few times before.

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
After getting great full day battery life for weeks I suddenly noticed by battery life dropping by about 50%. Somewhat by accident I stumbled across the Background Tasks under Settings, and saw I had about 10 apps I'd recently installed running updates in the background that I wasn't aware of (LinkedIn, IMDS, a couple weather apps, USA Today,Engadet, Yelp etc.). After toggling them all off except for two (news & weather) my battery life went right back to normal. So it's worth checking to ensure you don't have more than a few that update, or set it to zero if you want max battery life, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of some of the live tiles...

zinrai

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my phone, the battery would drain within 2 hours. It was having some other issues as well and they(ATT store) replaced it for me. The reps said they had seen this a few times before.

Was this a consistent problem for you or was it pretty sporadic? Mine's only done this a few times, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the phone or not.

Also, thanks for the background tasks tip. I only had a weather program running though. Kinda thinking that might not be the problem. :(

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I find that if you're at the edge of 3G or 4G reception (for example, indoors and you're bouncing between one bar of 3G and one bar of 4G (or 3G and Edge), your battery will drain quite fast compared to when you have decent signal strength. The more transmit power your phone has to expend to keep "in touch" with a cell tower, the more battery life it'll drain (and other than powering a screen, this is probably the most expensive thing a battery can be asked to do). When in most high-rise buildings here in NYC for example, I can easily chew through 100% of my battery in about 6 hours. The phone otherwise easily goes 24 hours between charges.

zinrai

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Glad to know it's not just me. Hopefully there's some way this can be fixed in a software update soon (unless this is something that happens with all 4G phones).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills