Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree1Likes
  1. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #1  
    UPDATE 6-8

    Ok, the discoloration and marking is not from the cheap cloth like I thought. I have many marks, smudges, and streaking on the back of my white Lumia now. Its happened over the past few days.

    I thought maybe it was pen ink since I write a lot during the day and it gets on my fingers. But it doesn't wipe off of the phone. I noticed that the original marks from a couple weeks ago have faded a bit so maybe these new marks will too. Regardless, its still frustrating. I love the phone and don't want to give up on it so I may just put a case on it an move on.

    Any suggestions on what to try as a cleaner? I just am using water now.







    Help!

    I've had 2 white 900s in a week. Same issue. The first one I got and activated at night without much examination. I noticed the next day that their was a small (1/2") round spot on the back that looked like the white was rubbing off and turning gray. Tried to wipe it off but it was in the plastic. I returned it to ATT for another white one. This time I inspected it and it was flawless. Well, 3 days later it has 2 gray streaks in the plastic!

    if I wasn't so careful the last few days with it (read anal..:-) ) I would say maybe I did something. My hands have always been clean when using it, I use a clean cloth (from my HP Touchpad..no such issues) to wipe it clean of fingerprints etc, and generally have been very careful with it.

    I will return for Cyan one now. I don't want to use a case. I like the feel of it sans case.

    Anyone else have similar issues with theirs?
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 06-08-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Update
  2. danwc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #2  
    No. I had my white for two weeks. No issue with the finish whatsoever. Back on a cyan now. I do think the white is a sharper looking phone. The curves show up more and it just feels thinner to me. Either way its the same damn good phone underneath.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
  3. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #3  
    Interesting. Being polycarbonate, the color (or lack of color with white) should be the same throughout. Are you sure the gray spots are not stain. Polycarbonate is pretty tough stuff, but white is the toughest (and most expensive) color to produce.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Thanked by:
  4. Jrexxx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Interesting. Being polycarbonate, the color (or lack of color with white) should be the same throughout. Are you sure the gray spots are not stain. Polycarbonate is pretty tough stuff, but white is the toughest (and most expensive) color to produce.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Why is white more expensive and tougher to produce?
  5. chrisz5z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #5  
    doesn't the white one have a glossy finish? (haven't seen one in person). If so maybe the white is apart of the coating that makes it glossy white, with a grayish color plastic underneath
  6. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by danwc View Post
    No. I had my white for two weeks. No issue with the finish whatsoever. Back on a cyan now. I do think the white is a sharper looking phone. The curves show up more and it just feels thinner to me. Either way its the same damn good phone underneath.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    I agree that white is the sharpest of the three. A bit slippery to handle but still..The white contrasted against the jet black of the screen is really sharp.

    Trying to get past these minor 'blemishes' cuz I really want to stay with white. Just concerned that if this is what it looks like after a couple days, what about a month, a year..ect
  7. iloveamystery's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #7  
    I've had my white one for about a month with no discoloring whatsoever. I'm not sure what could have caused yours.
  8. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    Interesting. Being polycarbonate, the color (or lack of color with white) should be the same throughout. Are you sure the gray spots are not stain. Polycarbonate is pretty tough stuff, but white is the toughest (and most expensive) color to produce.

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Really hard to say if its a stain or a developing blemish. I mean, since I inspected it before I bought it Im sure its something thats developed in the last 3 days or so. But what? Its driving me crazy..Really appears to be 'underneath' the gloss of the finish as its not dull where these stains are.

    I even thought that maybe something was on the cloth I use but I also use it to clean my tablet which had a poly back as well (black ) and no issues with that. Its also a pretty new cloth and only used to wipe phone and tablet off..

    Agree that polycarbonite is tough and should have a consistent color throughout.

    I'll probably just get over my hesitancy to use a case, buy one, and just move on..
  9. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisz5z View Post
    doesn't the white one have a glossy finish? (haven't seen one in person). If so maybe the white is apart of the coating that makes it glossy white, with a grayish color plastic underneath
    Its very glossy. I don't know the process how they do it but its a bright eggshell white with a mirror-like gloss finish to it. Very sharp. That's why I dont wanna give up on the white.

    I will say that its slippery to handle. Not like the soft-touch Cyan or Black one, which is easier to grip.
  10. chrisz5z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jefbeard911 View Post
    Its very glossy. I don't know the process how they do it but its a bright eggshell white with a mirror-like gloss finish to it. Very sharp. That's why I dont wanna give up on the white.

    I will say that its slippery to handle. Not like the soft-touch Cyan or Black one, which is easier to grip.
    I have a black one. After about a week that soft touch wears off and its more of a slippery hard plastic. Sucks cause I liked that soft touch feel
  11. oldpueblo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    696 Posts
    Global Posts
    857 Global Posts
    #11  
    Where do you keep it usually, where does it rest when you aren't carrying it, etc?
  12. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,297 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,524 Global Posts
    #12  
    @jefbeard911 is it possible to post a picture of the discoloring? Thanks!
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  13. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    Where do you keep it usually, where does it rest when you aren't carrying it, etc?
    Its on my nightstand, on a book or on top of the cleaning cloth. (Yeah, I know...)
  14. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    @jefbeard911 is it possible to post a picture of the discoloring? Thanks!
    Give me a day or two and I'll take some pix of it. Thanks for the suggestion
    palandri likes this.
  15. baseballbert's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,556 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,089 Global Posts
    #15  
    Thought about white, but didn't want it to get a yellow hue to
    It like my iPhone 3GS did. Batman blue is serving me well!
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....
  16. Kredrian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jefbeard911 View Post
    Help!

    I've had 2 white 900s in a week. Same issue. The first one I got and activated at night without much examination. I noticed the next day that their was a small (1/2") round spot on the back that looked like the white was rubbing off and turning gray. Tried to wipe it off but it was in the plastic. I returned it to ATT for another white one. This time I inspected it and it was flawless. Well, 3 days later it has 2 gray streaks in the plastic!

    if I wasn't so careful the last few days with it (read anal..:-) ) I would say maybe I did something. My hands have always been clean when using it, I use a clean cloth (from my HP Touchpad..no such issues) to wipe it clean of fingerprints etc, and generally have been very careful with it.

    I will return for Cyan one now. I don't want to use a case. I like the feel of it sans case.

    Anyone else have similar issues with theirs?
    No problems here, I got mine a week after launch and its still bright glossy white. :D
    --
    "A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession."
    Albert Camus
  17. Kredrian's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    Thought about white, but didn't want it to get a yellow hue to
    It like my iPhone 3GS did. Batman blue is serving me well!
    My understanding is Nokia spent 2 years coming up with the formula to make sure the white Lumia's don't look yellow, there white all the way through. Still, you can't go wrong with the Cyan either.
    --
    "A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession."
    Albert Camus
  18. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kredrian View Post
    My understanding is Nokia spent 2 years coming up with the formula to make sure the white Lumia's don't look yellow, there white all the way through. Still, you can't go wrong with the Cyan either.
    I'm sticking with white after all. I just like it too much...
  19. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,359 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,438 Global Posts
    #19  
    It really sounds to me like somehow it got something on it that penetrated the pores of the polycarbonate which seems kind or strange as you would think it was sealed.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
  20. oldpueblo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    696 Posts
    Global Posts
    857 Global Posts
    #20  
    Yeah I was wondering if there is some kind of chemical that he regularly comes into contact with or something.
  21. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisz5z View Post
    I have a black one. After about a week that soft touch wears off and its more of a slippery hard plastic. Sucks cause I liked that soft touch feel


    I don't know what you're doing with your phone, but I got mine the second they were available on pre-launch and the entire surface feels exactly the same as when it was new.
  22. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #22  
    this is going to sound dumb, but u don't happen to live around some sort of exotic radiated area that would alter things and create beings like spiderman could you? :P

    may be get it plastic wrapped and see if the color still changes (just for temp)
  23. prodwel2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jefbeard911 View Post

    I use a clean cloth (from my HP Touchpad..no such issues) to wipe it clean of fingerprints etc,
    What color is the cleaning cloth? It isn't black or gray, is it? I had a green microfiber cloth once that would very slightly "stain" the surface of what I wiped using that cloth. Maybe it has a dye that is rubbing off...
    Thanked by:
  24. jefbeard911's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by prodwel2 View Post
    What color is the cleaning cloth? It isn't black or gray, is it? I had a green microfiber cloth once that would very slightly "stain" the surface of what I wiped using that cloth. Maybe it has a dye that is rubbing off...
    Hmmmm, You might be on to something. It is black. Here's what may have happened then. I actually have two black cloths. One that I got with my HP. It is very soft and I have been using it for months. But, I also received another one (which is also black) as a "free gift" at a BJ's store the day before I got my first Lumia. It's cheaper and probably not of the best quality.

    Here's the thing now that I think about it. I Keep the cheaper one in my company car and used it to wipe both of them when they were really new, which is when the streaking/discoloring happened. I havent used it recently and no new streaks have appeared.

    Wow. Maybe that's it! Its been driving me crazy. Now I have to decide if I want to take back my 2nd one for a 3rd. If it turns out that's what has been happening then I guess its not Nokia's fault...Moral dilemma ...:dry

    Thanks!
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 05-31-2012 at 10:37 PM.
  25. yuerolling's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #25  
    thanx god i haven't encountered the same question !! maybe you get get your refund back !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions