Considering switch from Android to WP7

scmurphy13

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using a Galaxy Nexus, and I love Android, but the Lumia 900 has caught my eye. I've used the HD7 before and I really enjoyed WP7, but I missed Android. Maybe it was because it was an HD7. WP7 is elegant, while Android can be considered a bit of a mess at times. I've been using Android pretty consistently since the G1, and while I have tried BB and iOS as well as WP7, I've always gone back. I guess what I'm getting at here is has anyone switched from Android to WP7 and never looked back? I'm being offered a 2 week old black Lumia 900 for my Galaxy Nexus.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've come from Android and never looked back. But then again, it was 2 years ago when I left and did not have a Nexus. So my experience with Android was probably a lot worse than yours.

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had all types of Android phones from the G1 also to the Galaxy Nexus. I've had all 5 generations of iPhones also.

I use the Lumia 900 as my main phone these days.

It all depends how much you rely on apps. Windows 7 phones are just not there with apps. But everything else is smooth.

The Galaxy nexus drove me crazy with random reboots. There is still a little lag even with pure Google. I had the Verizon version and we all know how bad LTE battery life is on android. Windows 7 lumia 900 LTE battery life is much better than any android phone.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I was running a rooted Inspire 4G for over a year. I moved to the Lumia a few days after its launch and haven't missed the Android at all. As a matter of fact, I broke out the Inspire today because I didn't want to take the Lumia to the beach. I couldn't wait to pop the sim back into the Lumia.

yeahbuddy78

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat as you OP. I bought a GSM GNEX the day it was available (and paid over $650 for it) and have been happily using it ever since. I like it, don't get me wrong, but I also picked up a slightly busted screen Focus locally and have been toying with WP7. So far, I have put my SIM in the FOCUS for a few days here and there to "warm up" to WP7 and have been happy. I used to use Nokias in the past and always liked their Drive app, as I have not owned a standalone GPS for many years.

I got the itch to get a Lumia over the weekend and snagged a black one on eBay for $280. Pretty good price and I don't have to burn my upgrade on one. Even free would make me worry as we *still* don't know about the future of the Lumia's OS/updates. /sidebar

The biggest thing I am concerned with about the platform switch is my deep ties to the Google ecosphere. I use Google for literally everything and the apps I use daily aren't on WP7 (2Do, Alarm Clock Extreme, Chase Banking, Goole Voice, Google video talk, Google +, various other apps, etc). Yes, I can limp by on WP7 with substitute apps, but having them natively on Android has become second nature. Also, Google navigation, although not totally offline, is superb. Nothing can beat saying "Navigate to 1100 E, 435 S" and off you go. Drive may be able to do this, but having to type it in is a nuisance. Also, transit directions and live updates are just better on Google Maps. I use the MAX in Portland a few times a year, so I'm not very familiar with it. Nothing beats using Maps to track my progress and stops in real-time. It has saved me some serous frustration. Nokia Transit doesn't support Portland (yet?). Also, Whatsapp, while on WP7, is pretty bad compared to the Android version. Slow to open and laggy when loading messages. It's sometimes a chore to use (and I use it many times a day). Lastly, I have two original batteries for my GNEX and usually don't ever need the second one. It lasts a full day easily (stock, rooted) but it's nice to know I have a spare in my pocket. Yes, a seperate battery pack would work, but it's far less elegant to have something protruding from the top of the phone.

I think my curse was I have the GNEX with stock Android 4.0.4. I (and most everyone) would find "dumping" Android much easier if I had a crappy Android phone with manufacturer OS skins and still running 2.3 or something. ICS really is very smooth and doesn't suffer many of the issues that people ***** about with Android. It's silky smooth in every respect.

All of that aside, I really want to like WP7 and hope the Lumia works out. In case it doesn't, I have a microSIM adapter ready if I give up. I can put my SIM back into my GNEX and eventually sell the Lumia if the "beta test" fails. I'm 50/50 now. Time will tell.

Last edited:

clockworksnarf

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Long time ios user here, I switched after getting fed up with the staleness of the interface and lack of any real changes.

I love windows 7.5 mango, it nicely integrates int my social network, its interface is neat and clean, and the Lumia is one sexy phone

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

scmurphy13

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the responses. People here seem to be a lot friendlier than the people on xda.

Anyways, I am also very reliant on Google for everything. I have 3 different Gmail accounts, I use Google Calendar for my day to day organization, Google Voice, Google+, etc. I also use Dropbox and Chase Bank. If I need an app, I can find it on Android. I almost did the trade tonight, but I chickened out. I'm just not sure about doing the switch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the responses. People here seem to be a lot friendlier than the people on xda.

Anyways, I am also very reliant on Google for everything. I have 3 different Gmail accounts, I use Google Calendar for my day to day organization, Google Voice, Google+, etc. I also use Dropbox and Chase Bank. If I need an app, I can find it on Android. I almost did the trade tonight, but I chickened out. I'm just not sure about doing the switch.

Sounds like to me you shouldn't make the jump if you're that dependent on the Google ecosystem. If you're curious it's probably better to find a cheaper phone at a used price to test out not only the OS but to find app alternatives to your liking before jumping full on.

chrisz5z

May 14, 2012
Visit site

there are alternatives for the apps you listed:

Google Docs = GDocs
Google Voice = GoVoice
Google+ = G+ Launcher
Google Calendar = eCalendar
Dropbox = BoxFiles

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Why not try the MS ecosystem, as well? By that I mean, open a Hotmail account and link your Gmail accounts to it. Ditch Dropbox and give Skydrive a go whilst enjoying MS Office on the cloud. You could be surprised.

Just 'sayin. :)

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a Galaxy Nexus, and I love Android, but the Lumia 900 has caught my eye. I've used the HD7 before and I really enjoyed WP7, but I missed Android. Maybe it was because it was an HD7. WP7 is elegant, while Android can be considered a bit of a mess at times. I've been using Android pretty consistently since the G1, and while I have tried BB and iOS as well as WP7, I've always gone back. I guess what I'm getting at here is has anyone switched from Android to WP7 and never looked back? I'm being offered a 2 week old black Lumia 900 for my Galaxy Nexus.
Yeah, I was an Android guy for awhile. I must admit that I liked it a lot until I discovered how well things can really work together. Believe it or not, I first figured this out when I bought an HP Touchpad (webOS) 6 months ago. webOS is amazing. It just works! So intuitive. Check out user reviews if you're curious..

Anyway, I had my eye on the Lumia 900 for awhile and finally got tired of all of the Android crashes and reboots. So I got a white one last week. Its amazing! I'm so over Android now.

If you just want your phone to work and not have to tweek it all the time and are getting tired of the inconsistency of the OS and how apps run (quick example. Using Skype on my Inspire sometimes the emotion icons would be large, sometimes they would be small. You never knew) get a WP7 phone, the Lumia 900 is great.

Go for it! Good Luck.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
List down your essentials, see if WP7 has it, and then make your decision. Ignore the riff raff mumblings about how "broken" Android is, how "stale" iOS is, or how "void" WP7. Obviously those are just biased views based on THEIR user experience. It's about YOURS

AMPed126

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If you just want your phone to work and not have to tweek it all the time and are getting tired of the inconsistency of the OS and how apps run (quick example. Using Skype on my Inspire sometimes the emotion icons would be large, sometimes they would be small. You never knew) get a WP7 phone, the Lumia 900 is great.

Go for it! Good Luck.

Amen brotha, I feel the same way.

Not sure if you have made your decision yet, but....

I've had a lot of Android phones in the past, 4 in the last year alone, and I just got so tired of having to tweak everything, and just how many force closes I was getting. I made the switch to the Lumia 900 and I have not looked back at all. In fact I highly recommend it to my customers, and I got my gf to switch to it from an Iphone 4 (she loves it), and I got my mother on it, and even my dad is wanting to switch to it when he's eligible (he's rocking the Moto Atrix). In the end its all personal preference, so if you can just play around with one and see if its something you'd really want. Besides you get 30 days after your upgrade as a trial, if you don't like it return it.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
there are alternatives for the apps you listed:

Google Docs = GDocs
Google Voice = GoVoice
Google+ = G+ Launcher
Google Calendar = eCalendar
Dropbox = BoxFiles

I hope you won't mind me using your list.

Google Docs = GDocs - doesn't allow editing unfortunately.
Google Voice = GoVoice - I like MetroTalk better personally. Very friendly and accommodating developer. Very reliable app.
Google Calendar = eCalendar - what's wrong with the integrated calendar in WP? (except you can't see gcal attachments)
Dropbox = BoxFiles - great app but I end up using skydrive more, maybe because I've put my dropbox folder inside skydrive (cloudception anyone?)

Gaiking

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have tried every popular os...Android, BlackBerry, IOS,WebOS and WP and I find Windows Phone to be the best for what I want. I like the unobtrusive notifications and the way Live Tiles keep me updated in a very quick and simple manner. The social integration is the best of any OS and the way all the apps have a "windows phone" feel to them it gives a very clean and universal OS feel to it that is pleasent to use.

All isn't perfect though. If you enjoy the tweaking and almost total control of the device that Android gives you then WP7 may be tough to adjust to. Right now you can't use custom notification sounds and are pretty much locked to the way Microsoft wants the phone to operate.

Even though the customization isn't even remotely close to what you can do with Android, I still find WP to be more fun to use and the straight forward ease of use cant be beat.

scmurphy13

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I decided to try to go through with the original trade. It turns out the Lumia he tried to trade me was scratched up and in bad shape, so I didn't do it. I did end up trading my Nexus for a 32gb iPhone. Yeah, shoot me, but I like phones and I enjoy switching it up. It's not my first run with iOS, but after using it for a few days, I remember why I left it. I did end up, however, trading a lower-end, never used netbook I had lying around for a brand new Samsung Focus a friend of mine won at one of those Windows Phone challenges. I haven't put my SIM in it yet, but I have been tinkering with it on WiFi. I would like to have a Lumia, but other than the beefed up processor speed, is it worth trying to get? The Focus is pretty fast on 7.5, but I know it's not getting WP8. Does anyone even use the Focus anymore?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Processing speed isn't that big of a differentiator between the handsets--you've noticed the Focus is already fast. The differences between the Focus and Lumia are design, size, etc, not what's under the hood.

I still have a Focus for backup incase I lose/break my Lumia. It's *the* first generation handset to have, no doubt. It's an awesome phone in its own right.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I decided to try to go through with the original trade. It turns out the Lumia he tried to trade me was scratched up and in bad shape, so I didn't do it. I did end up trading my Nexus for a 32gb iPhone. Yeah, shoot me, but I like phones and I enjoy switching it up. It's not my first run with iOS, but after using it for a few days, I remember why I left it. I did end up, however, trading a lower-end, never used netbook I had lying around for a brand new Samsung Focus a friend of mine won at one of those Windows Phone challenges. I haven't put my SIM in it yet, but I have been tinkering with it on WiFi. I would like to have a Lumia, but other than the beefed up processor speed, is it worth trying to get? The Focus is pretty fast on 7.5, but I know it's not getting WP8. Does anyone even use the Focus anymore?

I'm still rocking my Focus. I keep toying with upgrade ideas, Lumia 900, Titan II, even an Android phone but I keep coming back to my Focus. It just works and does so well. Its a nice size, fits well in the hand and the screen is awesome. Takes great pictures as well. Plus its fully flashable with custom ROMs to get full unlock and then you can really enjoy the homebrew scene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3