| | 06-02-2012, 10:28 AM #1
Okay, trying to move away from my blackberry torch and purchased a Lumia 900. I also own an EVO 4g android (and will keep for the time being). My first thoughts and impressions (I may be missing some ways to do some of these things, so I hope I'll get tips back). I will keep reading old posts on this forum to pick some things up!
1) I have always loved auto-text on blackberry. Nothing is quite like it - I'm in a field that I need to do some canned/long responses and auto text is perfect for that. Also things like date and time (ld and lt on blackberry inserts them). I figured out a way to do it on android using smartkeyboard app. Wishlist #1: auto-text like feature for windows phone.
2) Voice: Maybe it's me, but voice sucks. On android, I can say "this is a test period call me later comma or i will call you" and it will come out as "This is a test. Call me later, or I will call you". On the Nokia - it comes out "this is a test period call me later ocmma or i will call you". Seriously? It doesn't understand punctuation? Wishlist #2: More dynamic voice dictation or a good app that does that.
3) Google Maps - can't install it on the AT&T Lumia 900? Come now..
4) Nokia Drive - Pretty cool. Does almost everything I need instead of google maps/navigation. However, with android, I can push the voice button and say "navigate to 900 east west street in Denver" and it will fire pu navigation and stick the address in there. Sweet. Can't see if it works with Nokia Drive.
5) When I turn on phone, I see the tiles and clock in upper right. That's it. No signal meter? No type of connection? Is it a setting somewhere?
6) Apps: Kinda of light in capability. For example, I use pulse on pc, android and laptop. Pretty cool that they are all synced. Pulse has app for Nokia, but no sync option. Guess time will fix some of these issues - it is a new phone after all. Can't wait for some of the other browsers, like Dolphin, to come to the platform.
7) Documentation on voice transcription would be nice. Manual shows about voice commands, but searched left and right to find out if the punctuation feature even exists (see above). Forgetting that for a moment, documenting the different aspects of this phone fully would be nice.
8) Calendar: When I open calendar, I get the agenda. I like it (need to read up on what the icons all mean). I push the calendar item and get the month (not real useful except showing the month!). No week view?
9) outlook: e-mail shows sender name, subject and first line of text. I can't see where that is configurable? I really would rather not see the text and get more emails on thes creen. Need to look at fonts also - a bit large, but think that is easy to set.
Okay, that's my first blush at this thing. Will play with it some more. Over-all, I am very impressed with the phone. I think it is has some serious potential!