Looking for advice. Broken display w/complications

gravitywell

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I've lurked for a long time, but this situation has finally pushed me to post.
I dropped my White Lumia 900. It fell about 2 feet onto hardwood floor. (Fell out of my pocket as I was standing up.) It landed face down, and I heard a sickening *pop* as it landed. It does have a screen protector on it, but it didn't help.

I contacted Asurion (ATTs insurance, which I have) and they informed me of the $125 deductible and inquired if my phone was black, or cyan. I informed her it was white, and she told me that White wasn't in her system, so that wasn't a color they even carried to replace.

After this, I put the replacement on hold. I purposely waiting to upgrade to get my White Lumia. I contacted Nokia, inquiring about their repair service. Since I dropped it, they could only recommend a 3rd party company. According to that company's website, it's approximately $202 to fix it.

I ebayed for the display assembly, and the only one I can find is $180. (compared to most other phones at $60-90).

So, my question is this. What would you suggest be my course of action? I want my white phone. I'm kind of upset that ATT's insurance doesn't even have a direct replacement for my phone.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I've lurked for a long time, but this situation has finally pushed me to post.
I dropped my White Lumia 900. It fell about 2 feet onto hardwood floor. (Fell out of my pocket as I was standing up.) It landed face down, and I heard a sickening *pop* as it landed. It does have a screen protector on it, but it didn't help.

I contacted Asurion (ATTs insurance, which I have) and they informed me of the $125 deductible and inquired if my phone was black, or cyan. I informed her it was white, and she told me that White wasn't in her system, so that wasn't a color they even carried to replace.

After this, I put the replacement on hold. I purposely waiting to upgrade to get my White Lumia. I contacted Nokia, inquiring about their repair service. Since I dropped it, they could only recommend a 3rd party company. According to that company's website, it's approximately $202 to fix it.

I ebayed for the display assembly, and the only one I can find is $180. (compared to most other phones at $60-90).

So, my question is this. What would you suggest be my course of action? I want my white phone. I'm kind of upset that ATT's insurance doesn't even have a direct replacement for my phone.

If you are paying for insurance then they have to replace it...call them back. Keep complaining until they do it. Call AT&T as well. File a complaint with the better business bureau, or a least inform Asurion that your next phone call after hanging up with them refusing to replace your phone will be to the BBB.

You are paying for insurance so unless you can find some fine print that says they have some right to not give you the exact same phone color that you have insured then you have all the power.

I would fight this to the bitter end. Get on the phone and start escalating your case asap.

gravitywell

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to drop you an update. I talked to a few more Att reps and ended my spree with another call to Asurion. The Ash rep went through my information and said he was Pretty sure' he's seen White available. My claim is in limbo atm, I have to submit some proof of ID which I'll get motorized and submitted tomorrow. He stated that until that paperwork is in, he has no way to see phone inventory. So, I'll post back in a day or so with another update. Thank you for the encouraging words. I'm usually not this persistent, I guess it's a lesson learned, don't mess with a guy and his WiPho. Lol

caspian1010

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You are paying for insurance so unless you can find some fine print that says they have some right to not give you the exact same phone color that you have insured...

Unfortunately, that is EXACTLY what their fine print says:

"Once your claim is approved, the replacement device is shipped to you and received overnight in most cases. Claims may be fulfilled with a new or remanufactured device. Colors, features and accessory compatibility are not guaranteed."

Taking it a step further, Asurion doesn't even have to give him a Lumia 900 (as features and accessory compatibility are not guaranteed!).

Of course, I'm sure they'll try their best to give back the same device, but fine print like this is what always makes me shy away from buying these sorts of "insurance" plans.

The full terms are here: http://www.phoneclaim.com/documents/ATT/Terms-And-Conditions-20111004.pdf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2