iPhone user switched to Lumia 900 Pt. II

rotobadger

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I posted a thread a few days ago (that was deleted for some reason :straight:) about my move from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 900. Again, I have only used the iPhone exclusively for the last 5 years so this was a bit of a leap for me. So, as promised, here's an update on my experiences:

First, I'm starting to see that yes, it is possible for me to live in a world that doesn't start with an "i". I'm still missing certain features on my iPhone but not as much as I thought I would.

The good:

Ok, this AMOLED screen rocks! Now, when I pick up my iPhone 4 again, the screen seems a bit drab. The colors just pop against that deep black. It's addicting!

Starting to get used to the email client. I use push email as well as a couple of emails that I check manually. Still getting used to pushing the refresh button.

Ok, this was unexpected and awesome! I'm in my car and the Lumia is hooked up to bluetooth when I get a text message. Automatically, through my car system, the phone asks me if I'd like it read out loud. I say yes, it reads it, then lets me know I can send a text back by voice! Cool! I know phones can do this but I wasn't expecting it to automatically happen and work so well!

UI is great. I have seen absolutely no stutter or slow down. Very smooth and fun!

The factory notification sounds are, in general, more pleasing than the iPhone's. And I love the mellow keyboard "tock".

I'm getting used to Bing. Yeah, yeah I know...you told me so!

LTE does NOT suck! Wow! Almost Wi-Fi like at the gym (my gym is in an LTE area).

Oh, and I have to admit I am enjoying not being another one of the bazillion people toting around an iPhone. It's nice being a little different with my Lumia. It's funny because Apple used to be unique and hip and Microsoft was the uncool "Man". Now, it seems that it's shifting in the other direction. It's refreshing to see someone WITHOUT an Apple device. (Don't get me wrong...I'm still fully addicted to the Apple crack!)

The bad:

Battery life has been horrendous! I was hitting 50% before 1pm! There is no way I can make it through the day without recharging. My iPhone, with the same usage, got me to bedtime usually with about 20% to spare. I don't know what the problem is but I'm guessing it's not the phone's design rather it's a battery vampire somewhere. I use a Microcell at home and read that could be the culprit. Or maybe the Facebook app.

Oh, the Facebook app. Sucks. Big ones. I don't know why a decent Facebook app can't be designed for Windows phones.

No Pandora.

I've tried a couple of music apps (Mixtape for one) and the volume was so low even at the highest level I couldn't use it at the gym.

All in all, a very good experience so far but for the battery issue. I will post one last time after a week or so has elapsed (if anyone cares :lol:).

Thanks for reading and for all the advice and tips I've gotten from members here so far!

rutvik19

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
No Pandora.

Pandora has publicly stated, even after a fair amount of backlash, that they do not have any plans to develop an app for WP. As I've stated elsewhere in the forums, this is quite a shame for a company that has a primary business model of expanding its user base.

Therefore, I have chosen to give my money to Spotify. Although they don't really have a "radio" functionality. To fill that void, I have MetroRadio. It's a 3rd party app that connects to Pandora.

Hope that helps.

rotobadger

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Pandora has publicly stated, even after a fair amount of backlash, that they do not have any plans to develop an app for WP. As I've stated elsewhere in the forums, this is quite a shame for a company that has a primary business model of expanding its user base.

Therefore, I have chosen to give my money to Spotify. Although they don't really have a "radio" functionality. To fill that void, I have MetroRadio. It's a 3rd party app that connects to Pandora.

Hope that helps.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll try MetroRadio.

xpxp2002

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Oh, the Facebook app. Sucks. Big ones. I don't know why a decent Facebook app can't be designed for Windows phones.
I couldn't agree more. The UI design is wonderful, but it is painfully slow. The Twitter app was the same way, but an update that just (finally!) came out about a week ago fixed that. That being said, I think you'll find 90% of what you want to do on Facebook (sans liking comments on posts) can be accomplished through the integrated Facebook support in the OS, so it should be less of an issue than it would be on iOS or Android where the app is an absolute must. Alternatively, if you don't want to use the app but want an iOS-like experience, try browsing to https://touch.facebook.com.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Your thread is here, maybe it just got moved:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-900/193690.htm

This is also handy though most of it is already obvious:

Cell Phone Battery Life | Windows Phone 7 Battery Life | Increase Battery Life | Windows Phone 7

The most likely killer is background processes. Go to settings, swipe to the right, go to background tasks, and disable the ones you don't need running all the time. I've heard the facebook app uses a lot of battery, you might consider just checking facebook updates in the people's hub unless you need additional functionality. Yes I've heard microcells drain the battery a lot as well. Also if you use auto-brightness try setting it to low or medium first and then turn auto-brightness back on. It actually adjusts the auto brightness default and maybe you don't need it so bright.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My 8 Background Tasks are responsible for 7-8% of my battery per day (after extensive testing). My 5 email accounts (push(3), 30m,2h), another 5-6% per day. So these are not killers.

Your Microcell on the other hand, has been reported to squeeze juice from your LTE device like a sponge. Sit your phone down in Microcell range (keep it asleep) and check your battery percentage (using the Battery Saver applet) before and after. Depending on your background tasks, email setup, shouldn't be more that 1-3%. A weak signal at work or wherever is the second biggest culprit.
There is usually a logical explanation for everything.

I have read about Facebook eating battery several times now, so think it will be the basis for my next battery test. I expect it will prove otherwise.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

RoccoI

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had my phone for one full day, battery was better than my bb9360.
Probably will get better after a few cycles. I got 3 email accounts, facebook, twitter and a weather app. Today I switched to the white background, want to see if there is a big difference in battery drain.

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with others that the Microcell is most likely your biggest battery drain. The only work around that I have found is to turn off your cellular data when you are on the Microcell. This however does not allow you to get any toast notifications or VVM. I have noticed that the Facebook app also appears to have some issues with the latest update where it drains the battery more quickly, but it is nothing compared to the Microcell.

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The Microcell is basically a mini cell tower that AT&T sells. You connect it to your home internet and it gives you better reception if you do not get good reception at your home. At my house I get almost no cell service without it.

rotobadger

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
The weird thing is that I had absolutely no unusual battery drain from the microcell with my iphone 4. I've just been turning cellular data off when at home for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3