Should I even attempt to film a live band with my L900?

idahoprime

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll be going to a very loud rock n roll show tomorrow night at a small bar... while im not really worried about the video quality, i am concerned about the audio. Has anybody tried to record anything loud like this? If its going to be crazy overblown then im just gonna focus on taking pictures instead. ANy opinions? thanks

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I did for a live band playing at a park from a distance, and the sound was blown out in some circumstances. I'd say the best thing to do is just to do a short clip and see if your Lumia does it too.

idahoprime

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I did for a live band playing at a park from a distance, and the sound was blown out in some circumstances. I'd say the best thing to do is just to do a short clip and see if your Lumia does it too.
Thanks. im gonna be pretty darn close so im not keeping my hopes up at all. How did your video turn out? I dont think ive ever even shot a video on this thing yet ha

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. im gonna be pretty darn close so im not keeping my hopes up at all. How did your video turn out? I dont think ive ever even shot a video on this thing yet ha
video was pretty nice imo, but the autofocus was a little aggressive and there was no way to lock it from what I can tell. It wild refocus sometimes but I don't think it's enough to ruin the video.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

leosoybean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
If you anticipate it being loud, especially in a small bar (read: space), expect soundwaves bouncing all over the place before landing into your phone. The audio won't be pretty no matter what.

Windowsphone7

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I used my 900 for a loud band in a small club and... mud. Almost unrecognizable as music, and the band was electric violin so the music was actually pretty tuneful. So I'd suggest... shoot one short video, just to make yourself thankful later that you didn't try to shoot the whole show, then either take stills, or better yet ignore your gadgets and dance and have a crazy good time.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I recommend that you forget about it and just enjoy the show. This is what will happen when you record with the Nokia Lumia 900 when the audio is too loud
Nokia Lumia 900 @ London the Summer Musical 2012 - YouTube

Alternative get Nokia 808 pureview. You will fall in love to Nokia Rich Recording
Nokia 808 Pureview - microphone test at concert - YouTube

What happen if u have a phone without rich recording?
T.M. Stevens at Reigen - part 2, May 23rd 2012 (Vienna, AUT) - YouTube

That's the same thing that happened to me, about the same distance as well. Wonder if its software or hardware related. I just tried recording some music being played rather loudly off my laptops speakers, and putting the phone right next to it, and the sound wasn't blown up like it was recording live music. I'm not an expert at these things, so I was thinking it was the loud volume of concerts that caused the distortion or something, but I'd assume that pumping the volume up and putting the mic right next to it might be loud enough to replicate, but apparently it isn't.

Last edited:

algs26

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Out of all my phones, the Nokia N8 is the only one that seems to be able to cope with loud concerts. Loud bass seems to be the 1st to distort (clip?) in my experience.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGKGlPpRws[/YT]

After reading comments, I'm not going to even bother with my Nexus or Lumia. FYI, I've read the same about the S3 and One X.

Rich recording (and PureView tech) can't come soon enough to WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3