why so many problems with your 900

deecoop539

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Everytime I visit this forum all I see is alot of problems and I was wondering wtf is going on
I have a lumia 900 (black) and I have none of these issues. Are you guys doing something different with your phone or what? I mean screen not working, random restarts, search button not working. If I didn't have this phone I would say its some crap reading you guys complaints. The thing I do every morning is restart my phone when I get up. A smart phone is nothing but a pocket computer it needs to reboot every once in a while. Maybe some of you need to try this and see if it's makes a difference. Try it and let me know.

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
You need to remember that all forums like this whether it's Nokia, iPhone, Android is that people having issues are going to be a lot more vocal than people who aren't. So you will inevitably see a lot more people posting with problems rather than how few problems they are having or how much they like their phones.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The forum is a great place for people with issues to come and get answerers. It may seam like there are a lot of complaints about the L900 but this is just a small sub section of L900 users that are posting questions. Its better just to try to help those in need and don't expect to find a bunch of threads praising any device.

deecoop539

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a great place to find answers and post your problems I was just saying reboot your phone once in a while it makes a difference. I had iPhones, All types of androids and I like the lumia the best but they all needed to be rebooted to keep them running smooth with minimal issues.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I know this is a great place to find answers and post your problems I was just saying reboot your phone once in a while it makes a difference. I had iPhones, All types of androids and I like the lumia the best but they all needed to be rebooted to keep them running smooth with minimal issues.

I agree with that an occasional reboot wont hurt anything and can improve performance.

Budule

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
hmmm.....i've had mine for a couple months now and i dont think its ever been off or rebooted.....use it all day, charge it all nite.....

TeamCharles

May 29, 2012
Visit site
You need to remember that all forums like this whether it's Nokia, iPhone, Android is that people having issues are going to be a lot more vocal than people who aren't. So you will inevitably see a lot more people posting with problems rather than how few problems they are having or how much they like their phones.

Bingo. This is also true of all internet forums you see, not just phone related ones. I've seen the same pattern on video game, car, and bike forums.

I've had my Lumia 900 for over a month now and I have nothing but positive experiences.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
To be honest my White Lumia is my third one. The first two (Cyans) had their "problems". But this one is a charm. Works perfectly. Camera is top notch (if I use it correctly). The phone has only one problem and it's a WP7 software issue (the wifi/cellular bug). And yup, you're right, I reboot every couple of days just for good measure. Read my sig; I absolutely love this phone. I'm keeping it till sometime next year when WP8 hits the streets. And that phone will be a Nokia. Nuff Said.
-joe-

Last edited:

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
It all depends on how you use it. You could replicate some of the issues that people complain about on your phone (like the capacitive buttons only registering long press when using Zune to play music) but if you don't use your phone in that way you'll never notice it.

My first Lumia was a pre-order - I pre-ordered it in an AT&T store and received it via UPS the Friday before it was available in stores. That specific device had several problems:

• The data problem that everyone fell victim to during the first week: after a day or two, the Lumia 900 would lose the data connection and was unable to reconnect to the cellular data network unless you performed a hard reset. Thankfully Nokia released an update very quickly but I had to hard-reset my device once, and then instead of hard resetting my device for a second time, I just went without cellular data for two days. It was pretty frustrating but like I said, an update was released pretty quickly.
  • Even after the cellular data bug was fixed via an update, my first Lumia 900 had a very flaky WiFi connection. WiFi would work fine sometimes, and other times it wouldn't. The phone would indicate that it was connected to a WiFi network but nothing would load; I had to go into Settings and turn WiFi off and then back on before web content would load again. Nothing would load until you did that. I'd have to do this on a daily basis, and sometimes more than once a day.

The WiFi bug was so irritating that I exchanged my first 900 for a new one in early May. It's the device I currently have. WiFi has worked perfectly on this device, but a new problem appeared that wasn't present in my first Lumia 900: the purple screen bug!

I use the auto-brightness feature because medium or high brightness is just too bright indoors, where the lowest brightness setting is perfect. The problem with the new Lumia is that a certain shade of gray that was ubiquitous throughout the OS was showing up as purple. It was a huge shock when I first noticed it as I got in the car after exchanging my device at the AT&T store. Lots of people on this forum/site downplayed the significance of this bug but for an OS that prides itself in its clean, modern, and deliberately subdued Metro UI, the purple tint was a huge annoyance for me. An update that fixed this issue was eventually pushed out to all phones but only after several weeks.

And I'll only touch very briefly on the camera. It stinks. Others have mentioned that you have to use it "properly" to get good pictures. You know what phone takes great pictures right out of the box? My fiancee's Evo 4G LTE. Takes amazing pictures using the default settings with no fiddling with the settings. Those who say you have to "learn how to use the camera correctly" are the same hypocrites who laughed when Steve Jobs told iPhone users that they were holding their phones incorrectly. The camera is bad, but I've come to terms with it.

Thankfully, right now all the above issues have been rectified (except the camera obviously) and I'm really enjoying the phone. I just flashed Tango and it's actually made a huge difference, especially with Notifications and applications running in the background. I had been getting a few "You have too many applications open in the background" notifications in Baconit and some other apps before I flashed Tango; now they've disappeared and everything is running great. So if you haven't flashed Tango yet I strongly suggest you do so.

The phone is still beautiful. The screen is still amazing to look at, and the OS is still silky smooth and very fast. If I had to choose a phone TODAY, would I still choose the Lumia 900 over something like my fiancee's Evo 4G LTE? Definitely. But that's mainly because Android is still bloated and laggy, and because of how much I like Windows Phone.

How about: would I still buy the Lumia 900 over something like the Titan II? The answer to that question is most likely no. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the screen on the 900; I absolutely love the SAMOLED+ panel. Otherwise, the Titan II has a better camera and the screen is more responsive, especially when scrolling through the Start menu. If you've ever put the two phones side by side you'll know what I mean. HTC has some of their own exclusive apps, but it's not like I'm even using any of the Nokia Apps on my 900.

tl,dr: Some of us who pre-ordered the Lumia 900 were essentially beta testers and had to suffer through several bugs that were eventually fixed. These were well-documented bugs that were not the fault of the user. After exchanging my device and after several updates from Nokia, and after upgrading my device to Tango, I finally feel like the Lumia 900 is firing on all cylinders and working very well. I just wish it would've shipped this way back in April, but I guess early adopters should always expect to work through bugs, even if Nokia claims the Beta Test Is Over.

TMavZR1

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Everytime I visit this forum all I see is alot of problems and I was wondering wtf is going on
I have a lumia 900 (black) and I have none of these issues. Are you guys doing something different with your phone or what? I mean screen not working, random restarts, search button not working. If I didn't have this phone I would say its some crap reading you guys complaints. The thing I do every morning is restart my phone when I get up. A smart phone is nothing but a pocket computer it needs to reboot every once in a while. Maybe some of you need to try this and see if it's makes a difference. Try it and let me know.
No problems other than data issue during intial roll out. Other than that, I am happy with Lumia 900. Love the customer service and how we get all the cool apps. :)

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Personally I have posed more than just problems here. But Yeah, my L900 was defective and I was trying to find answers. I found some alternatives but no real answers to the problem i had and its not just here. People post issuea abour lots of phones everywhere. Unfortunately the L900 does have some common issues.

No matter, were all part of the wp family :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

This is correct.

Just for the record, I've had zero problems with my Lumia 900. I wasn't even affected by the data issues. It's been smooth sailing for me. :cool:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is correct.

Just for the record, I've had zero problems with my Lumia 900. I wasn't even affected by the data issues. It's been smooth sailing for me. :cool:
I never had the data issue, or any other issues. I got mine the first day it was available here. The AT&T store was closed on Easter, so I got it the day after. I was the first customer in the store that morning.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The amount of reported problems have gone down tremendously since launch. I'm guessing the first bad patch has (almost) made it's way through and the current Lumias are much better.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Not all devices are the same, there are always going to be issues with any phone.

If somebody is looking for help, where they gonna go? Of course to a Windows phone forum first.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No problems with my pre-launch L900. Never had the data bug, but I do appreciate the $100 credit. My take on the number of people with issues is that a lot of L900s got sold. So that fact that there are issues is probably indicative of brisk sales.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros