battery drain

Teamteal

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
hi everyone

had the cyan 900 for almost 2 months now. and i have noticed the battery life is horrible.
after i found out about killing background apps, i thought ok maybe that was the problem. but now there are no apps running, wifi obviously not connected yet when its unplugged. battery life is still draining very fast

is my battery defective or what? how should i go about getting this fixed

Thanks in advance, been lurking around here for a while now. lots of great info

Teamteal

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
ok so, i looked online and did the Nokia diagnostic test on the battery. right when i unplugged it. it shows only 97% remaining o.0 (looks like it does not charge all the way)

and it is discharging at around 130-150

i bought the phone at a microsoft store. should i take it back and see if they would exchange it?

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
ok so, i looked online and did the Nokia diagnostic test on the battery. right when i unplugged it. it shows only 97% remaining o.0 (looks like it does not charge all the way)

i bought the phone at a microsoft store. should i take it back and see if they would exchange it?

When on the diagnostics screen with wifi running and brightness at low or medium, is my drain stabilizes after 5 seconds or so at the 100 ma mark.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

It was alluded to that with the last update for the Lumia900, Nokia did do something to the stock battery percentage (as can be found in "Battery Saver" option in settings), to just go from 100% - 90% when it hits 90%. What you're probably seeing in the diagnostics app is the true behavior of the Lumia 900 and other devices in how they handle Lion batteries. Once a device hits 100%, it discharges until it gets low enough to charge up again, which would be around 95-97%, depending on what the OEM set. The reason for this is because prolonging the battery at 100% capacity is actually more deleterious of the life of the battery than it is charging it again for a little bit.
That discharge rate sounds about right, but I usually float around 90-120mA idle with wifi on.
In regards to battery drain, it may just be your location. I've noticed, if I have data on, and try to access it when I have 0 bars (it shows 0 bars oppose to the no signal icon), my phone will heat up and the drain according to diagnostics is like 400-600 mA and does not seem to idle at all back to my normal ranges. As soon as I flip the data switch off, it will go back down. No clue why it does this honestly, but that has been my experience with it. So maybe some locations you are at are contributing to the drain. My phone has been easily lasting an entire day with moderate-heavy usage, ending the day around 20-25% left. I usually have 1 bar of signal most of the day as well.

Teamteal

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
It was alluded to that with the last update for the Lumia900, Nokia did do something to the stock battery percentage (as can be found in "Battery Saver" option in settings), to just go from 100% - 90% when it hits 90%. What you're probably seeing in the diagnostics app is the true behavior of the Lumia 900 and other devices in how they handle Lion batteries. Once a device hits 100%, it discharges until it gets low enough to charge up again, which would be around 95-97%, depending on what the OEM set. The reason for this is because prolonging the battery at 100% capacity is actually more deleterious of the life of the battery than it is charging it again for a little bit.
That discharge rate sounds about right, but I usually float around 90-120mA idle with wifi on.
In regards to battery drain, it may just be your location. I've noticed, if I have data on, and try to access it when I have 0 bars (it shows 0 bars oppose to the no signal icon), my phone will heat up and the drain according to diagnostics is like 400-600 mA and does not seem to idle at all back to my normal ranges. As soon as I flip the data switch off, it will go back down. No clue why it does this honestly, but that has been my experience with it. So maybe some locations you are at are contributing to the drain. My phone has been easily lasting an entire day with moderate-heavy usage, ending the day around 20-25% left. I usually have 1 bar of signal most of the day as well.
well i usually get 2 bars. its kinda frustrating to see it drain so fast :D

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine drains at 100mA when plugged in....WTF! Getting a warranty replacement tomorrow. All of a sudden noticed that the LTE comes on...but it's wrong I don't have LTE at work...maybe they are getting service here...but it will say LTE...then a couple min later say 4G. I'm starting to get aggrevated with this thing. I cant keep a charge...literally died on me at home while it was plugged in. was down to about 17% and died a couple hours later. Battery diagnostic indicates discharge at times when plugged in.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Got my warranty replacement...so far so good. Don't know what went wrong on my original phone. But it wouldn't charge on anything. Replacement chaarges just fine. As it turns out AT&T must be moving LTE to where I am, cuz I get it sporadicly on both phones...10mb/sec down and 10mb/sec upload so far ;)

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
Got my warranty replacement...so far so good. Don't know what went wrong on my original phone. But it wouldn't charge on anything. Replacement chaarges just fine. As it turns out AT&T must be moving LTE to where I am, cuz I get it sporadicly on both phones...10mb/sec down and 10mb/sec upload so far ;)
don't be sure, this issue may happen after some time. to me it is sw related and not hw: while the battery drain issue is in progress, I see some clutter with the applications that make me think to some process taking 100% of CPU.

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
I followup again because I changed my opinion and now I turned to think it is hardware related: everytime I find a dependency with some sw issue, I raise a different behavior.

actually things get worse, even if I haven't changed anything in configuration or installed software: the smartphone goes very easily to 400mA, with strong signal and no background processes running. very often it goes to 600/700mA, specially if I have one or two apps operating in background, and the smartphone becomes really hot.

my hardware revision is 112.1914.2.0; hardware radio is 8055.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously starting to think Nokia got a bad batch of chips from Qualcomm... Poor soldiers on the connections could EASILY cause the excess heat and battery drain, as it creates resistance.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I followup again because I changed my opinion and now I turned to think it is hardware related: everytime I find a dependency with some sw issue, I raise a different behavior.

my hardware revision is 112.1914.2.0; hardware radio is 8055.
Are you connected to a MicroCell by any chance? That's a big battery drainer.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
jimski,

I read the thread about the supposed relationship between the 'battery hot drain' issue and MicroCell, but I don't believe it, or maybe there are two different issues:

first, the smartphone worked well for some weeks, then started to have the issue sometimes and now it is getting worse day after day: if the issue is related to MicroCell, it should have raised from the beginning.

second, as soon as the issue raises, I can switch data connection off, or even activate the flight mode, but the battery drain is always there: only a power cycle can resume the smartphone to a normal operation.

third, I am not sure to have MicroCell here in Switzerland, the issue you are referring to is related to AT&T US (as far as I have read).

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
I'm seriously starting to think Nokia got a bad batch of chips from Qualcomm... Poor soldiers on the connections could EASILY cause the excess heat and battery drain, as it creates resistance.
that could be an explanation and that is why I am more toward an hardware issue here.

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
that could be an explanation and that is why I am more toward an hardware issue here.

quick follow-up just to say I ended up by replacing my device and all defects are gone, battery is ok and it never go hot. I installed of the apps I had with my previous unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo