Why I didn't wait for WP8

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I sit here thinking of the spanking new Cyan Nokia Lumia 900 being set aside for delivery to me by the middle of next week and I cannot help but to smile. I was able to come up with a masterstroke of a plan to break free from my current carrier, (Verizon), so that I can finally be re-united with the best mobile phone operating system on the planet today.

I absolutely HATED the fact that Verizon had such a ho-hum attitude about the ONLY WP handset they offered, the well loved but VERY LONG in the tooth Trophy. I was sick and tired of Verizon's lack of support and their ridiculous offering of ONE WP phone that is so OLD it makes a mockery of what Moore's Law is supposed to be about.

I digress...anyway I jumped ship from Verizon to AT&T and I am one happy camper because I FINALLY will have a (new to me) WP handset that is very well executed and a refreshing upgrade all the way around from the ancient mariner that was my Trophy.

Now some might be saying: why the **** would you chose to adopt a WP 7.5 phone that is basically 'obsolete' due to the impending Apollo update? Its simple really.

For one, I did NOT want to wait another four months time to get my new WP handset fix. I just couldn't do it. I have waited long enough. Impatient? Perhaps. However I have done the research and have concluded that the hardware and software upgrades are REALLY OVERBLOWN when observed in the context of the WP ecosystem. Think about it. The Lumia does EVERYTHING I need a smartphone to do and a little more already. The 7.8 update will only make it better. My need for a competent new WP handset really outweighed all of the potential goodies waiting for us in Apollo.

If I may use a basketball analogy; I basically decided to draft a kid that was a four year starter in college, who was the MVP of the NCAA tournament champions, and who graduated with honors, over the 18 year old high school phenom. Sure the high school kid may turn out to be a Kobe Bryant,(WP Apollo), but my choice, (WP 7.8 Lumia), is averaging a double-double night in and night out and plays vicious man to man defense to boot. The Lumia is the SOLID player that will get the job done with no frills night in and night out.

Nokia promises a minimum of 18 months of support post-Apollo and that's plenty for me. By the time my first upgrade kicks in, I will be more than happy to step up to Apollo.

So for all of those tech writers and assorted naysayers crying about how Microsoft shafted early and not so early adopters, I simply say: WHATEVER!

The Lumia is a SOLID, SOLID device that will perform VERY well for me for the next couple of years and that's all I need it to do. WP 7.8 will handle the rest. When you love an OS as much as most WP users do, its not so much about the hardware, its the total package and right now the BEST package out there is the Lumia 900.

Looking at it another way, all of the 'improvements' spec and hardware-wise that Apollo brings look nice but they in no way detract from the experience of the thousands of WP users out there now. When customer satisfaction is around 93% it speaks VOLUMES.

Man...can't wait for that Lumia to arrive.

Cheers;)

Adyhooper

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Nice sound... Nokia Lumia 800 is a running on Windows 8 operating system and it is really nice phone but if you select Nokia Lumia 900 that nothing wrong in that because it is also very nice phone. Both Windows phone are running on different type of version but both are nice.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
That's taking matters into you own hands and thinking for yourself. Well done. And enjoy your L900.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys! When you consider that WP 7.5/7.8 is still the most intuitive OS for a mobile phone, PERIOD, it ended up being a no-brainer for me. :happy:

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend that needed a phone, I gave him an old HTC Surround I had lying around. He is in love with Wp now. He does not care about upgrades or not, only that the phone works, giving him zero problems, and he was able to use it with AT&T's GoPhone service.

It just shows though that a lot of people do not care about what so many are heart broken over.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Ummm, ok. :straight: My Trophy seems to be running along just as smooth as silk AND I have coverage everywhere I go with Verizon. My Trophy is a solid device. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Guess there are more important things in life to me, but to each his own. Just think, we've waited this long for a new WP on Verizon, what is another couple months going to hurt?

But hey, good for you!!

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Just switched and ordered my new 900 too. I've been doing my research and I'm really liking this windows os. I as well could not wait for windows 8. When that time comes, if it worth it to me, I will upgrade. I don't mind waiting a few extra months for bugs to be worked out and features to be added. So excited, I can't even wait the three to five business days it takes to ship.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Just switched and ordered my new 900 too. I've been doing my research and I'm really liking this windows os. I as well could not wait for windows 8. When that time comes, if it worth it to me, I will upgrade. I don't mind waiting a few extra months for bugs to be worked out and features to be added. So excited, I can't even wait the three to five business days it takes to ship.

U won't regret it.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
wbdillworth,

Not hating on the Trophy by any mean. My wife still uses hers and its basically and extension of her right hand. To say she loves it is an understatement. Most of my antipathy was directed toward Verizon. Their infamous issues with Microsoft alienated a ton of current and potential WP users. I always thought that they were selling WP way too short by limiting WP to ONE phone on their network. With their added reach and support for WP I think the platform could have taken off. Imagine if Verizon worked with HTC or Samsung to develop just ONE new handset for use on their LTE network. The ripple effect would have been a tremendous boost for a platform that is flat out better at mobile phone function than iOS & Android. Just my opinion but opinions matter when over
90% of Lumia 900 users LOVE their phone and more importantly the OS on it.:cool:

bmccafferty

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I just got a new lumia 900 upgrading from an HTC wildfire and this phone is amazing. It does everything I want I agree with the post above I could of waited for WP 8 but the lumia is fantastic today. Just thought I would add my support :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
wbdillworth,

Not hating on the Trophy by any mean. My wife still uses hers and its basically and extension of her right hand. To say she loves it is an understatement. Most of my antipathy was directed toward Verizon. Their infamous issues with Microsoft alienated a ton of current and potential WP users. I always thought that they were selling WP way too short by limiting WP to ONE phone on their network. With their added reach and support for WP I think the platform could have taken off. Imagine if Verizon worked with HTC or Samsung to develop just ONE new handset for use on their LTE network. The ripple effect would have been a tremendous boost for a platform that is flat out better at mobile phone function than iOS & Android. Just my opinion but opinions matter when over 90% of Lumia 900 users LOVE their phone and more importantly the OS on it.:cool:

Hey, I'm right there with you on Verizon's lack of support for WP7. It ticks me off to no end that At&T has a slew of phones and we have one. Would I have gone with the Trophy if there had been more than one choice? Not if another option with a larger screen was available. But, I'm quite happy with the Trophy. I will never switch to AT&T, so I will stick it out with my Trophy, heck I'm not even close to being able to upgrade so it's not a big deal to me to have to wait. I'm confident we'll see some WP8 handsets on Vzw soon enough.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Hey, I'm right there with you on Verizon's lack of support for WP7. It ticks me off to no end that At&T has a slew of phones and we have one. Would I have gone with the Trophy if there had been more than one choice? Not if another option with a larger screen was available. But, I'm quite happy with the Trophy. I will never switch to AT&T, so I will stick it out with my Trophy, heck I'm not even close to being able to upgrade so it's not a big deal to me to have to wait. I'm confident we'll see some WP8 handsets on Vzw soon enough.

I have to stick with Verizon too and am very happy with my trophy. I went up the AT&T store and looked at the N900. It is a beautiful phone, but a little bigger than I would want. Surprisingly, it seemed like the Trophy was about as smooth and fast as the 900. Well, hopefully Verizon will get a WP8 but the Trophy is great for me.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I love my Trophy and Verizon's coverage. Hate their pricing. While I love AT&T's phones, there is no chance in h3ll, I'd ever switch to them. Hate their network more than I hate Verizon's pricing. Though, the 900 almost convinced me to make the switch. It is a beautiful phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05