Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    The Lumia 900 is similar to my prior android smartphone, the Motorola Atrix, in one respect: the front camera with only a fraction of the megapixels of the rear camera is way more foolproof, and tends to take better snapshots that the rear camera. For the life of me I cannot figure this out.

My 900 has the Tango update, and my quick judgment is there may some overall improvement with the automatic settings. The rear camera has always been capable of producing nice, contrasty shots under outdoor, well- lighted conditions. But indoors, unless there is very good light, or you are close enough to the subject that the flash will help, the results are not very pleasing. Bright areas tend wash out and also tend to produce a kind of effect that I would call a halo. Even outside, a bright portion of a scene exudes this halo, and it can sometimes not be corrected by changing the fiddling with the controls.

The front camera, on the other hand, does not have those problems. It does better in normal indoor light, and tends to produce a nice, snappy, contrasty snapshot. Turn the camera over and shoot with the rear camera, and you tend to get a blurry, washed out kind of effect. I am attaching an example of the same subject, one shot with the rear camera with no flash, default settings, and the other shot with the front camera. No post exposure editing has been done on either. Note the results.

Rear Camera

Front Camera
    Last edited by mobilelawyer; 08-23-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: photos do not display
    mobilelawyer
    at your service
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    I hope you're wearing clothes in your example!

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Totally non- risque. Both are pictures of my office phone. Is the link not working?
    mobilelawyer
    at your service

one thing I have found, is that the way I cradle the phone in my right hand, my index finger is right over the rear lens. It gets oily and looks just like your shot. When I clean the lens, good pics

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VineRider View Post
    one thing I have found, is that the way I cradle the phone in my right hand, my index finger is right over the rear lens. It gets oily and looks just like your shot. When I clean the lens, good pics
    Cleaned the lens with a soft cotton cloth tonight, and it did in fact seem to have a positive effect.

Will shoot the same shot tomorrow at work to gauge the improvement. Thanks much for the tip!
    mobilelawyer
    at your service

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I think it did help, but I believe that the rear camera could not be further improved with additional software adjustments.
    mobilelawyer
    at your service

yep :-)