U.S. Phones Crashing in Canada?

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I wasn't sure where to post this. Ok...this is weird. I have a Lumia 900 and have never had it freeze or crash. This past week I was visiting Canada, and got a roaming data package from AT&T. The minute I got off the plane, my phone started freezing and crashing randomly. I literally couldn't use it for more than 10 or 15 minutes without need to force a reboot, and on a number of occasions, it spontaneously rebooted. I thought for sure that something was corrupted, so I tried deleting all cached files, deleting and reinstalling various accounts and apps, but nothing seemed to help. The only clue was that it seemed to crash less on WiFi than on a cell signal. When I flew back to the U.S. I was prepared to wipe out the phone and start all over again, but lo and behold, the minute I was back, all the crashing and freezing ended. Its now been 2 days and things have been perfect. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? I'm pretty tech savvy, and this doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone think of a rational explanation?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It's all part of Canada's plans to invade the US. They just did a little electronic warfare on you as part of a test against Americans' digital devices as a whole. Did you know the Canadian gov't has massed 75% of the Canadian population within 100 miles of the US/Canada border? Coincidence? I think not!! It's all preparatory work for inevitable invasion and takeover. You were a victim of the CSIS "First Wave" Electronics Assault Team. Similar to SEAL Team 6, but this team assassinates smartphones and other smart devices. Though you aren't experiencing troubles since returning to the US, you better check your phone for some Canadian spyware, just in case. Never can be too careful when it comes to those crafty Canadians.

dtshin

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problems.

Any ideas on how to fix it? It's very annoying. I've also just SIM unlocked my Lumia 900 (while in Canada), and I keep on having these random freeze-ups. I'll try with a Canadian micro-SIM and see what happens.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's all part of Canada's plans to invade the US. They just did a little electronic warfare on you as part of a test against Americans' digital devices as a whole. Did you know the Canadian gov't has massed 75% of the Canadian population within 100 miles of the US/Canada border? Coincidence? I think not!! It's all preparatory work for inevitable invasion and takeover. You were a victim of the CSIS "First Wave" Electronics Assault Team. Similar to SEAL Team 6, but this team assassinates smartphones and other smart devices. Though you aren't experiencing troubles since returning to the US, you better check your phone for some Canadian spyware, just in case. Never can be too careful when it comes to those crafty Canadians.

LoL wut?!?

And thanks for bringing this to light. You guys should definitely contact Nokia support to make them aware of the issue.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
When you go to a different country with an AT&T SIM card your carrier is going to change to whatever carrier AT&T has an agreement with. I would think you would need to run Network Setup for whatever carrier it is. I'm not positive though. It's worth a try.

Addendum:
Also make sure under Setting>Systems>Mobile Network that Data Roam is selected and look under Network Selection, maybe Automatic will work or try selecting, Press To Select.

I always grab a local SIM card when i go overseas, it so much cheaper that AT&T, plus I have voicemail from my U.S. number sent to me as an email, so I don't miss local calls.

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

What has two thumbs, is Canadian, and is laughing his *** off right now?

THIS GUY!!

Great post, speedtouch. I needed a good laugh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon