Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SnailUK

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Somebody mentioned in another thread that they think the real reason we aren't getting WP8 is that Microsoft didn't make any money on it.

So, the question comes up. If Ballmer, or whoever, came up to you and asked for... say... 50$ and you'd get the full Windows Phone 8 experience, would you agree to it?

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    No, I didn't really care about 7.8 to begin with. I was already planning to get a new phone anyway because I wanted better hardware.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goff256 View Post
    Somebody mentioned in another thread that they think the real reason we aren't getting WP8 is that Microsoft didn't make any money on it.

So, the question comes up. If Ballmer, or whoever, came up to you and asked for... say... 50$ and you'd get the full Windows Phone 8 experience, would you agree to it?
    Simple, no.

We aren't sporting Android devices here. No one is saying I'll make compromise X to have feature Y. I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there thought about and perhaps even figured out a way to get most if not all of the features of WP8 on a custom ROM. However, the point of WP8 and new hardware is to further the OS and get wider adoption. Yeah, we're going to make money on this says Microsoft. What business isn't out to make money?
    I would pay for it, but that isn't the reason we aren't getting WP8 (neither is hardware incompatibility).

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    arguably the 820 is very close to the 900 in terms of specs, with the CPU being the main difference. When XDA figures out a way, they will have that ROM running flawlessly on the 900.

I would pay for a proper update, it seems like fleecing but whatever. 7.8 is just window dressing.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I don't think they'd actually do it.

I was just asking a hypothetical.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    Nokia at the very least should do something like this:

Motorola details trade-up program, updates Jelly Bean rollout schedule

$100 is a pittance but it would be worth the good will and guarantee they would go to new Nokias instead of HTC or Samsungs.

Global Posts
    2,092 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    Nokia at the very least should do something like this:

Motorola details trade-up program, updates Jelly Bean rollout schedule

$100 is a pittance but it would be worth the good will and guarantee they would go to new Nokias instead of HTC or Samsungs.
    Didn't HTC do one awhile back?
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Global Posts
    32,438 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    I would not pay for WP8 on my current device, but I would probably consider upgrading to a new device if I received a trade-in offer.

Global Posts
    2,572 Global Posts
    not for Windows Phone devices that I'm aware of. But if you send in an LG Quantum for repair the bastards will give you an Android phone of some sort I hear.

Don't think so.

My HD7 is getting very long in the tooth. Compared to modern phones its a slow brick, with a useless camera.
    rdubmu likes this.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,278 Global Posts
    I just paid for Windows 8 so I wouldn't have any reservations about paying for WP8. However, I'd wait to see how sluggish WP8 would be on my 900.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    I just paid for Windows 8 so I wouldn't have any reservations about paying for WP8. However, I'd wait to see how sluggish WP8 would be on my 900.
    That's probably the route I would go, if I were to pay at all.

I'm iffy, I'd have to first see how well 7.8 fits my needs.