11-07-2012 06:17 AM
- I picked up a new cyan Lumia 900 this Friday. Like the build and color. I also like the People Feed. Typing a text is easy too. The Live Tiles are pretty sweet. But, I'm undecided if I should keep it. See, I own the Galaxy Note, iphone 4s (ipod actually), and a Blackberry Bold 9900. Why so many? I like different stuff. Not a fanboy of any OS. Each of the previous has something the other doesnt. I previously owned a Focus and a Titan Windows phone. Liked them but parted ways because of well....I can't put my finger on it as I can't put my finger on why now after only a few days I'm not happy with my 900. Here's what I use mostly on my phones: texts, emails, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube. I don't edit documents or even use Office. So, should I give my 900 another few days of hard usage or put it on CL? BTW, the Windows 8 Tablet looks awesome!:P11-04-2012 08:29 PM
- I picked up a new cyan Lumia 900 this Friday. Like the build and color. I also like the People Feed. Typing a text is easy too. The Live Tiles are pretty sweet. But, I'm undecided if I should keep it. See, I own the Galaxy Note, iphone 4s (ipod actually), and a Blackberry Bold 9900. Why so many? I like different stuff. Not a fanboy of any OS. Each of the previous has something the other doesnt. I previously owned a Focus and a Titan Windows phone. Liked them but parted ways because of well....I can't put my finger on it as I can't put my finger on why now after only a few days I'm not happy with my 900. Here's what I use mostly on my phones: texts, emails, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube. I don't edit documents or even use Office. So, should I give my 900 another few days of hard usage or put it on CL? BTW, the Windows 8 Tablet looks awesome!:P
I don't like the black rubber/plastic around the screen because it gets pushed in way too easily. I have a few spots where I'm like "how the **** did that happen?". My Lumia is actually running slow as of late and I don't think I can blame rogue apps. I did all the required updates on the Lumia but I've had to reboot many times. I also cannot explain the random slowness I get after 4-6 hours of general use. It stutters until I turn it off, then I turn it back on a couple of minutes later and its happy for several days.
I was thinking about picking up a Blackberry 9900 locally to give that whirl - or trading evenly for an Atrix HD and going back to Android.11-05-2012 09:09 AM
- I hear you. I dont have a problem with the screen poking out. I dont have a problem with the cyan color. I think i have an issue of what it "doesnt" have. Like instagram. I think the OS ia just really different from android and ios. My brain cant wrap aroind the tiles moving. Lol. Maybe i need to give it a week and play around with it. I wish i could figure out how to assign text tones.
A blackberry 9900 isnt bad either. Love the buttons and notification light. But the screen is much to be disired. It works yes but its not for all day use.11-05-2012 11:02 AM
- I miss having a physical keyboard, but I'm willing to let that go if the on-screen keyboard doesn't limit functionality. I can type accurately on the Lumia 900 and would even argue that this is the fastest on-screen typing experience that I've had with a device.
I cannot relate to the Instagram situation by and large because I cannot get into an app that just adds a multiude of effects to age, distort, etc. a digital photo and share it with others. Thumba Photo Editor does a lot of that and more, and while it isn't free I prefer supporting a developer of an app that does more than the typical Instagram-y stuff. Nokia Camera Effects is another example and is also free.
I miss having a notification light on my phone, but why should I see a constant reminder that I'm tethered to various devices. Shoot, I disable push email and check hourly if that. If someone wants to get a hold of me they can text me or even *gasp* call me. I'm on a 15GB plan for Family Share and I've at most used 8GB between two lines. If I didn't have my wife on the plan I would drop to the 10GB plan. I might even get away with a smaller data package if my usage continues to drop off.
I'm mad there isn't a good Dropbox client for Windows Phone that is actually made by Dropbox. Then again, Skydrive for me works better. I've left Evernote and now use OneNote to organize projects. I might not edit Office documents on my phone, but having access to them through the cloud in their native format is nice to have. I don't need a seperate app to balance my budget, I can edit an Excel file that's the same on my desktop.
I made out good making a switch from Linux/Android to Windows:
Windows 8 - $70 shipped
Lumia 900 - $50
Office 2010 - $10 + $15 for media and shipping
I went with Android / Linux because I was getting tired of pirating software. I could have easily kept Android and pirated Windows and Office but this was my chance to go full legit and with one unified system for everything.11-05-2012 11:21 AM
- Nice transition. I was/am really considering transitioning my portable gadgets to windows. I own a ipad2 and blackberry playbook. I'd like to get a Surface RT tablet but there are sold out locally. I may wait until I feel comfortable with this Lumia before ordering one from Microsoft online. Or wait for Black Friday sales. I'm really digging the build quality of this phone along with the People hub. I tried Nokia drive this morning on my way to work. Its pretty cool. Just doesn't announce the street names. Maps however does. I want to go play with a 920 when they are released. I've been eligible for an upgrade for over two years now! Almost blew it on iPhone 5 but something's telling me to hold on to it.11-05-2012 11:42 AM
- I like my Lumia. In the end it does things most of the other phones I bought couldn't for very long - work. So when something isn't broke, why fix it? For starters, it isn't shiny and new now that the Lumia 920 is going to be released. There are issues with the software that I didn't have with Android or BlackBerry but that I have here with Windows Phone. Sometimes, using the phone is more of a chore than it is a means of improving communication. Now, I can take that statement and flip the OS's around and it would once again be an accurate statement. (At least for me)
I need to stop playing with my phones. The Windows Phone OS lends itself to that - it really is a glance and go experience. No emails? No texts? No missed calls? OK, time to leave. My head can't wrap around that fully yet. I think that is my main issue.11-05-2012 01:45 PM
- I haven't found anything wrong with my 900. Its not even a week old actually. I can't stop picking it up and looking at it. The app selection doesn't appeal to me as the weight and design. Its different from all the other iPhone look a likes. Sort of like my Bold 9900. They just look elegant.11-05-2012 08:38 PM
- I just can't decide if I want to keep it!!! Went to at&t a few mins ago to inquire about the 920. No dice but they did have a cyan bumper on sale for $5 so I bought it. As i was paying the sales clerk asked why i was using Windows OS when they aren't selling and the is is plain. I smiled and said im almost 40 and like plain stuff. He pulls out is Galaxy Note to show me his screen. Well i whipped mine out too. He was shocked! He was like wait you have both? Yes. Why would you go backwards with that Nokia. Lol11-06-2012 11:33 AM
- It's a shame people haven't taken Windows Phone seriously. It all goes back to a perception issue, which is only going to be fought fairly with someone using their device of choice side by side with a Windows Phone. Then you'll see more of the "Oh, it can do that?".11-06-2012 12:27 PM
- At least in my circle people jump on what's popular and familiar. IOS and android are what's to have. Anything else and they give you a snicker. Even that sales rep has to ask what I liked about windows phones. When I asked the release date of the 920 he said he has no idea. Probably not until Black Friday. I didn't say anything. I just smiled and paid $5 for my Lumia bumper that is clearly marked for sale to make way for the 920 accessories.11-07-2012 06:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD