Anyone else sticking with their 900 for a while longer?

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Been there, done that, got the receipt . Got the 920 at launch and returned it yesterday. Solid hardware, fantastic (back) camera (didn't get to play w/ wireless charging :( ) but the software wasn't enough of an upgrade and the overall experience (including several steps backward) wasn't enough to warrant an off-contract purchase. for the way that I use my phone, the new start screen was actually the biggest UX improvement for me and that will be coming to 7.8.

I sincerely hope that by the time im eligible for an upgrade, ms gets their act together w/ WP8 and how it works with W8 (and nfc is fully realized). I'm not losing much by waiting for a better crop of hardware running better software to come out.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I had every intention of waiting. The only reason I got a 920 is that I unfortunately dropped my 900 hard, on concrete several weeks ago and it put a big crack all the way across the screen. :(

I was planning to wait though, in part because I knew there would be a few bugs and there wouldn't be a ton of new WP8 exclusive software out for a while anyway.

The 920 is an awesome phone and I love it, but if you've got a 900 and you don't have an upgrade yet, I'd just sit tight. By the time you get yours they will have any issues ironed out, plus there should be a nice selection of apps out that will really take advantage of the new hardware.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
One point though, if you bought your 900 in April like I did, you should be eligible for an early upgrade discount of $100 from AT&T, I was... so there's that. ;)

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Despite my lusting for the 920, I may have to stick with my 900 for awhile as the off-contract 920 is retailing around US$750-850 in my home country. That exceed my budget by US$250-350.
My only consolation is that the 7.8 update maybe coming earlier than expected. Praying hard for that!

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Aah...the FM radio. Always the crowd pleaser, isn't it?

of course ;) FM radio >>>>> camera OIS.... Lol.....

Anyways, with all those details about 7.8 and a post 7.x update it doesn't seem so bad now. Well get a much more mature OS, more apps (c'mon no Tango video calls for WP8???), and of course FM tuner :p. I'd say by the time we're ready to upgrade WP 8.5 will be right around the corner putting us at perfect timing.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am for one reason alone. There is no "goldilocks" phone, IMO, for the Windows Phone 8 launch. Every single phone has a major problem with it.

920: I take more day photos than night, its thick, heavy, and has too large a screen
820 (and variants): These are close, but their low resolution screens and meh cameras are deal breakers.
8X: This is the perfect device minus one (sort of two) glaring flaws. The price/capacity ratio is unjustifiable. I will not pay $200 for it with 16 GB or $100 with 8 GB (which simply isn't enough memory) when the 920 is $100 for 32 gigs. I'd take the 8X at 16 GB for $100, especially if AT&T improves color selection (yellow or red 16 GB plz?)
8S: Same complaints as the 820
Ativ S: unavailable and too large. I really don't like monster phones/phablets. 4.0 is the sweet spot for me. I'll go as big as 4.5 but no larger, and I'd take a 4.3 over a 4.5

So, I will stick with my 900 and wait for a price drop on the 8X, a high spec smaller screen phone with decent resolution, or a better PureView (808 with WP8 plz). then I will gladly get a new phone.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch and wholeheartedly agree with others about the WP8 situation. The hardware is unquestionably better on the 920:
-It's FAST, especially surfing the web. The combo of the new processor, new OS, and IE 10 make it really fly.
-The screen is amazing. Yes the blacks aren't as black, but that's not the end-all-be-all of screen quality. It's brighter, the auto-brightness adjusts quickly, and the resolution is a real step up. And this might seem minor, but I feel like the oleophobic coating is much improved. The 900 was a smudge magnet. The 920 seems a lot better in that regard.
-It's bigger and heavier. I don't mind it. YMMV
-I like the port on the bottom.
-Inductive charging. No brainer improvement
-The camera is a mixed bag. Most of the pictures I want to take are flashless indoors, so I like the OIS. Outdoors are not stellar, but I don't think worse than the 900
-32 GB storage

All that being said the music player is atrocious. One of the big uses for me is as an mp3 player and I HATE what they've done to a perfectly good Zune system. It's so bad that I've strongly considered going back to the 900. It's so bad that, if you've never experienced the 920, I would say don't upgrade. However, after using the 920 for a month and experiencing the speed of it and the screen I can't deal with the 900 anymore. Mine was definitely laggier than the 920 and I can't go back. However, as I've said, if you already have the 900 and are thinking about upgrading, I would say don't do it, especially if music and music syncing are important to you. You won't miss the hardware upgrades if you've never experienced them.

(And I still use my trusty 900 as a Bluetooth-enabled mp3 player in my car. That is SO ridiculous that I need to do that.)

-R

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess guess lot out there are like me. I think I have 1 too many, though. Lol. The only thing I'm going to have a problem with is losing internet sharing when I ditch AT&T for Straight Talk. The 920 may be like the 900 in that regard. I don't think my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket would lose this functionality.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm just waiting for a Surface Phone announcement either way. If the answer is no then I'll keep with Nokia and get a 920.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Indeed! I just purchased a new Lumia 900 (White) two weeks ago, and I am thrilled, I tell ya! It was beyond time for me to sideline my N8 (although it works perfectly); Symbian is capable, but not engaging or joyous to use. So it came down to getting either a Lumia 900 or a Lumia 920, off contract. I just didn't see where the $200 price difference between the two were with regards to software - 7.8 will provide me roughly 80% of what WP8 will, and I have a plethora of accessories to choose from AND get to keep my FM radio :) Neither device can best my N8 for daylight photos, which is what I snap 99% of the time anyway, so it was an obvious choice for me to get the Lumia 900.

Next year around this time, I will upgrade to the new Lumia 9XX that Nokia will release.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I was going to hold off, but my tech addiction got the best of me. I bought an 8x. I still have my L900, and its still active with the sim we use for our "home" phone. But, the 8x is now the WP device in my daily carry bag. Now, to replace the Galaxy S2 with the Note2.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am actually getting a 900 in the mail to replace my Focus 2 that has seen the end of it's life cycle early-on. I passed my OG Focus onto my Wife and that thing is one of the most solid phones I've ever seen or used. I loved it...she loves it. I got rid of my iPhone 4s to go back to Windows Phone but this Focus 2 has been a disaster!

Anyways, I feel weird jumping from Samsung to Nokia but could anyone let me know what to prepare for? How is this in comparison to many of the Samsung Windows Phones for those of you that know? Also, are any of the Nokia-specific apps working on the 900?

Thank you very much for any information!

Back on subject, I think my above post pretty much points to me being perfectly happy with my WP7/WP7.5/WP7.8 (hopefully) phone for quite a while until all of this WP8 comes into fruition.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am actually getting a 900 in the mail to replace my Focus 2 that has seen the end of it's life cycle early-on. I passed my OG Focus onto my Wife and that thing is one of the most solid phones I've ever seen or used. I loved it...she loves it. I got rid of my iPhone 4s to go back to Windows Phone but this Focus 2 has been a disaster!

Anyways, I feel weird jumping from Samsung to Nokia but could anyone let me know what to prepare for? How is this in comparison to many of the Samsung Windows Phones for those of you that know? Also, are any of the Nokia-specific apps working on the 900?

Thank you very much for any information!

Back on subject, I think my above post pretty much points to me being perfectly happy with my WP7/WP7.5/WP7.8 (hopefully) phone for quite a while until all of this WP8 comes into fruition.

You can expect a heavier thicker feeling device that at first will feel difficult to use compared to Samsung devices. However, the grade is for pure classy materials. Nokia devices feel top notch in the hand, especially moving from the plastic feel of Samsung. I had a focus and switched to the 900 and have never looked back. The weight and sixe is a no issue unless you use your phone to workout or running. Also on a software side, Nokia just cares more, they have to, the updates come fast and app support keeps growing. I don't care much for the app part but Samsung will not update your phone as quickly. Neither will HTC, but that seems to be changing, while Samsung are yet to truly release a wins 8 phone. Hope that helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99