Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree28Likes
  1. ridie1389's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I'm a 17 year old guy with Asperger's Syndrome and if any of you know what that is, than you probably know that people with Asperger's Syndrome usually hyper-focus on on area of expertise, mine so happens to be Smartphones and other Mobile Devices. So in April I bought a Nokia Lumia 900 so I could try Windows Phone 7 and expand my horizons, and there are major flaws with it, but over all I thought that getting Windows Phone 8 would remedy these problems. Well guess what? That's not happening, and to make matters worse, my Lumia is having major problems like constant freezing, rebooting, giving various errors when I attempt to download apps and part of the screen popped out for no good reason. So I contacted AT&T a month ago and they told me that they would excuse the Early Upgrade Fee and that I could buy another phone for normal 2-year contract pricing. And about a week or two later I called back because the upgrade eligibility had not shown up on the account, only to be told that I actually couldn't do that and that I would have to pay the $350 Early Upgrade Fee and that in order to repair the Lumia I would have to pay $200, and I'm a 17 year-old with a family struggling to pay bills and having saved up for a month only to have $50 for a new phone. I spend all the time I'm not in school on my phone because I do not have any social life whatsoever and no money for gas to even leave the house since mid-October besides for school. My phone is my entire life, and can't give me any kind of break, my phone has been the only thing keeping clinical depression in check and be able to cope with the world, because it allows me to feel like I'm actually stuck in my room every single minute that I am not in school.

    Thanks Nokia and AT&T, you've helped so much -_-

    Sorry WPCentral Users, but it is reasons like this that people hate big companies who don't care about there customers.
  2. #2  
    Oh how sweet. You threw yourself a pity party on an internet forum.
  3. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,124 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    #3  
    So you have windows phone 8 now? If so why would you not just exchange it? And if you just want out of your contract early.....why is it at&t's or Nokia's fault that you feel the need to break your contract early?

    I'm not trying to be a **** but your rant seems a little unfounded. At&t and more so, Nokia have given me stellar support with my Lumia 920.

    If your that ocd about your phone and wp7 didn't cut it for you then you should have researched the operating system a bit more to make sure it meets your needs.

    Your post just sounds like you think your entitled to have special rules for you because of your disorder, sorry but the real world won't just cater to you, gotta do your homework, your only 17 though you have another year to learn. ;)
  4. ridie1389's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
       #4  
    No, I have the Lumia 900 with Windows Phone 7, and they would not let me exchange without a massive fee, and I never said that I needed to break my contract early. But usually when somebody from a company tells you that something like that and then turn around and say no something like that is frustrating. I did do my research, but at the time, nobody new that legacy hardware would not be receiving the update, so there was no way I could have expected that to happen. And I'm sorry if it seems that I said that and it came across that the world revolves around me, but when a company makes a shotty product and then don't back up the support and the carrier lies to you and tells you one thing may happen and then go back on that word, it makes customers upset, no?
    Thanked by:
    Jmaxim 
  5. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,124 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ridie1389 View Post
    No, I have the Lumia 900 with Windows Phone 7, and they would not let me exchange without a massive fee, and I never said that I needed to break my contract early. But usually when somebody from a company tells you that something like that and then turn around and say no something like that is frustrating. I did do my research, but at the time, nobody new that legacy hardware would not be receiving the update, so there was no way I could have expected that to happen. And I'm sorry if it seems that I said that and it came across that the world revolves around me, but when a company makes a shotty product and then don't back up the support and the carrier lies to you and tells you one thing may happen and then go back on that word, it makes customers upset, no?
    email at&t mobility CEO

    That's how I was able to price match my 920 to the black Friday price after many unsuccessful attempts with at&t customer service.
    Last edited by palandri; 12-10-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Removed email
    Thanked by:
  6. ridie1389's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin792 View Post
    email at&t mobility CEO

    That's how I was able to price match my 920 to the black Friday price after many unsuccessful attempts with at&t customer service.
    Thank you, very much appreciated. It's unfortunate when a company doesn't keep their word, but now that I have vented. I realize that most every company does this unfortunately
    Last edited by palandri; 12-10-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: removed email
  7. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,124 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ridie1389 View Post
    Thank you, very much appreciated. It's unfortunate when a company doesn't keep their word, but now that I have vented. I realize that most every company does this unfortunately
    yea when they pull those shenanigans go straight to the top ;)
  8. rmichael75's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #8  
    send a mail to Stephen Elop too. They may be able to help you.

    But one thing i learnt when each rep has a way of handling things.. so when a person says that we will waive you this fee, ask him to do it right away and upgrade. Coz when oyu call bakc it is someone else and you end up getting a worse deal
    Thanked by:
  9. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,124 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmichael75 View Post
    send a mail to Stephen Elop too. They may be able to help you.

    But one thing i learnt when each rep has a way of handling things.. so when a person says that we will waive you this fee, ask him to do it right away and upgrade. Coz when oyu call bakc it is someone else and you end up getting a worse deal
    Last edited by irvin792; 12-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.
  10. inteller's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,531 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    #10  
    First World Problems (aspergers or not)
  11. 920Walker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    #11  
    You're 17. Get off the electronics once and a while. Don't let your disorder hold you back from being outside, with people or not.
  12. contributorM's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by 920Walker View Post
    You're 17. Get off the electronics once and a while. Don't let your disorder hold you back from being outside, with people or not.
    Quoted again for eemphasis.
  13. Klevis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    12 Posts
    #13  
    A lot of negative people in this thread. It is almost disgusting when you hear people who protect AT&T and Nokia and Microsoft without caring that they step on people's heart and emotions. I am a big fan of Microsoft and especially Nokia and I hate Apple and Google (not professional at all, the most sneaky corporations in the world), but this is too much. The guy gives reasons why he is so attached to his phone and why it is a much bigger deal to him than other people. Instead of people trying to give suggestion and help (even if he might be wrong), they speak idiocies.
    I, as Micheal, would suggest to write an e-mail to Stephen Elop. Don't expect too much because Nokia is not directly responsible for your situation, but there are some stories that contacting Stephen Elop has resulted in answered prayers. :P
    Thanked by:
    1jaxstate1 and Superboy Micah like this.
  14. #14  
    Try again with AT&T customer care. The ability to waive the early upgrade fee is at the discretion of the CSR and his/her supervisor. I talked to multiple CSRs before one was willing to provide me with an upgrade. They can be quite understanding if you explain the situation that the L900 came out this year with a push by AT&T, and shortly thereafter they announced that the L900 would not get updated to WP8, and that it would be outdated by the L920. We are all human, and some CSRs are more willing to work with you if they relate to the situation of feeling like you got screwed because of timing. My last CSR was so helpful to the point that I made it point to call her boss on her behalf for the help.

    Having said that, this is a perk. To be perfectly honest, this is not something to be expected. When you purchased that L900, you signed a contract with no uncertain terms as to when your upgrade window opens. The contract makes no provision for "the latest and greatest." What you got at that time was an L900 with no guarantee that Microsoft, Google, or Apple would not drop the next great thing in the tech world. That is what your contract is for. There is no blame to AT&T or Nokia for trying to hold you to your contract. I hope you get the upgrade, but they do not owe you anything except continued wireless service as agreed upon.
    HeyCori and Klevis like this.
  15. SinisterDuck's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 920Walker View Post
    You're 17. Get off the electronics once and a while. Don't let your disorder hold you back from being outside, with people or not.
    You obviously don't know about Aspergers. Telling one afflicted with it to just go out and play is like telling someone suffering from depression to cheer up and smile more.
    Thanked by:
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
  16. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,318 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterDuck View Post
    You obviously don't know about Aspergers. Telling one afflicted with it to just go out and play is like telling someone suffering from depression to cheer up and smile more.
    Probably easier for the person with depression.

    Aspergers isn't a temporary thing. It's part of who you are.
    Thanked by:
  17. juanitoriv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    990 Posts
    #17  
    I got my HTC Radar in April. Day after Black Friday I dropped and spider webbed my Radar's screen so horribly I had to tape on a screen protector to keep the glass in. I knew my $130 deductible to replace with a refurb. Eligible for upgrade in December '13, ETF of $200 I called T-Mo , and got a hook up on this sweet 8X I'm writing this on. I was going to help you in your approach, in fact I had all my text in, ready for submit, but a few something's caught my attention. Let's back up. Make sure to read all the way to the end now.....

    Now first off, your 900 should be covered under warranty and exchange, as an unfortunate 17 yo such as yourself surely got your phone on contract, not, what $500+ on an unlocked 900. So yes, should definitely be covered if the screen did indeed pop out for "no reason". And here I thought the 900 was a TANK!! But then again, my Radar DID pop out of my hand for absolutely no reason when I was out partying. Yes that was tacitly sarcastic.

    Now, I MAY be wrong here, but ....
    Seriously, I've a theory, which IS THE basis for the rest of this comment. Its a story, as your self proclaimed "expertise" leads me, involving rooting, flashing, eventual bricking and an ill attempted self fix that voided your warranty and has you SOL now. Otherwise why no warranty swap? Because this isn't your fault, right? Just happened? Yeah..

    That being said, I can't get down with your pity party. I don't care about 17 and Asperger's. You're putting out an aura of entitlement, of poor me and are actually playing to that for sympathy. You're claiming NO responsibility in this matter. You're trying to deceive the folks that YOU signed up with, to do them dirty to the tune of $300. Cause you got in over your head. And then whine about it because you're not getting your way.

    People, now before you yell at me.. Know i only try to be helpful and respectful here. Now, I know I might, might be wrong, but the dots are . Connect them. Makes sense now, huh. Why didn't you see that?

    Now....

    I'll still tell you what to do and to say, because we help each other here on WPC. But only if you put on your big boy pants, and take responsibility for your part,if only to the audience you so tried to garner sympathy from, and not act like a 3year old girl who lost her lollipop. Like Judge Joe Brown says "Man up!!!"

    I honestly hope I am wrong. I do. If not, you'll be glad one day I called you out on your BS.
    Oh, and Ridie is right, go outside, do something. Walk, its good for you. Whether you have options or not. I walk an hour to work..
    From the CO and my 8X
    Thanked by:
  18. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,318 Posts
    #18  
    I think you guys are being too hard on the guy. He's not upset because of a sense of entitlement. He's upset because an AT&T CSR told him that they would do something, and then when he tried to get it done, he was told he couldn't. Basically, he was misled by a CSR. That's horrible customer service, and it's perfectly normal to be upset.

    Imagine planning a trip to a restaurant. You call ahead of time and negotiate a deal where they'll give you a discount on your order.

    So then you go there and they say that you don't get a discount.

    Wouldn't you be peeved?
  19. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #19  
    I'm sorry but I don't see how on earth is this by any definition fault of Nokia's? It's AT&T's policies that are in effect here and Nokia has absolutely nothing to do with those.

    And another thing: For the love of Zeus, stop e-mailing Stephen Elop. You're ruining a good thing by *****ing about every little problem directly to him. Word's gotten around that he's some sort of magical Santa Claus that can fix everything and I'm sure if he's not already ignoring these kinds of e-mails he will start soon simply because they will take all of his time. There might have been a couple of occasions when writing such an e-mail has been the correct choice, but this is not one of them.

    When you have a problem with your carrier, you talk about that with your carrier, not Stephen Elop!
    Thanked by:
    aximtreo likes this.
  20. z33dev33l's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    830 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    #20  
    My cousin had a similar issue, emailed Stephen Elop, they upgraded him to the 920 from his 900 for free and sent him this crazy looking BT headset.
  21. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,046 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,080 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ridie1389 View Post
    So I'm a 17 year old guy with Asperger's Syndrome and if any of you know what that is, than you probably know that people with Asperger's Syndrome usually hyper-focus on on area of expertise, mine so happens to be Smartphones and other Mobile Devices. So in April I bought a Nokia Lumia 900 so I could try Windows Phone 7 and expand my horizons, and there are major flaws with it, but over all I thought that getting Windows Phone 8 would remedy these problems. Well guess what? That's not happening, and to make matters worse, my Lumia is having major problems like constant freezing, rebooting, giving various errors when I attempt to download apps and part of the screen popped out for no good reason. So I contacted AT&T a month ago and they told me that they would excuse the Early Upgrade Fee and that I could buy another phone for normal 2-year contract pricing. And about a week or two later I called back because the upgrade eligibility had not shown up on the account, only to be told that I actually couldn't do that and that I would have to pay the $350 Early Upgrade Fee and that in order to repair the Lumia I would have to pay $200, and I'm a 17 year-old with a family struggling to pay bills and having saved up for a month only to have $50 for a new phone. I spend all the time I'm not in school on my phone because I do not have any social life whatsoever and no money for gas to even leave the house since mid-October besides for school. My phone is my entire life, and can't give me any kind of break, my phone has been the only thing keeping clinical depression in check and be able to cope with the world, because it allows me to feel like I'm actually stuck in my room every single minute that I am not in school.

    Thanks Nokia and AT&T, you've helped so much -_-

    Sorry WPCentral Users, but it is reasons like this that people hate big companies who don't care about there customers.
    I am sorry that you are having a problem and for the interplay with AS. I feel obliged to point out though that any reasonable cognitive and behavior therapy that would be part of treatment for AS should emphasize lessening obsessive behavior, not encouraging it. The fact that you identify yourself as having a family and struggling to pay your bills makes it even more important that you work with the root manifestation rather than cater to it. This may not be what you want to hear but you are conveying a much more important problem than whether a wireless company will let you upgrade out of cycle. I really am sorry for your situation, but having much experience dealing with cognitive and behavioral disorders among several people very close to me, I must say you are not helping yourself (and are not being helped by those around you) by allowing a symptomatic/obsessive manifestation of AS control your life.
  22. #22  
    An enthusiastic chap like you who is obsessed with smartphones did not research what Lumia 900 was and what Lumia 920 is? Please if it all works out with AT&T for Christ's sake DONT email Elop. Swap your 900 for an iPhone5 or SGS3.

    I'm not techy or obsessed at all compared to you, but I can tell WP isn't for you.

    Also, I agree, when you know your family struggles with bills, fancy phone collection isn't a therapy that needs encouragement. Use those savings to seek "real" medical help!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  23. abhishek8605's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    196 Posts
    #23  
    It baffles me why on earth everyone bought a Lumia 900 in April when everyone clearly knows that new models of smartphones are typically launched during or before the holiday season? I had a crappy 3 year old Blackberry phone that needed desperate replacing this year, but I didn't flock to purchase the Lumia 900. Regardless of the fact that people thought the Lumia 900 would be upgradable to WP8, why not just wait a few months and get the newer phone? I waited and now I'm happy.

    And if you need a phone immediately because your old phone broke and you didn't want to wait a few months for the new model, just buy a cheap replacement to do the bare necessities off eBay.
  24. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    #24  
    Ok, everyone here seems to have made great suggestions. I would advise against emailing Stephen Elop. He isn't a wishing well of dreams, and shouldn't really be contacted. Deal with it with AT&T.

    Anyway, as someone else has said, try your best to refocus your obsessions. I can honestly tell you it won't be easy, but I'm slowly making progress myself. Seek cognitive behavioural therapy as well, it can work wonders. I'm speaking from experience here!

    Quote Originally Posted by 920Walker View Post
    You're 17. Get off the electronics once and a while. Don't let your disorder hold you back from being outside, with people or not.
    Not always that simple! Trust me, I'm an Asperger's Syndrome sufferer myself. I had to brute-force carve my way into social circles. Thankfully, I'm now happily within two radio groups, and a video games society group. And education people about the condition helps an absolute TON!

    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Oh how sweet. You threw yourself a pity party on an internet forum.
    Do you know how much of a jerk that makes you come across as? Sure, the guy overreacted, but to respond like that, essentially saying "You're worthless, get out of my sight" (and yes, I'm willing to lay money on he will read it as such) is only going to make him worse. Be careful what you say, cyber-bullying does lead to suicide. This in itself isn't bullying, but if you're not careful you could end up crossing the line.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:
    Gaichuke likes this.
  25. WinFan1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #25  
    Sorry it didn't meet your needs
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”- Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 05:59 AM
  2. Reasons I'm still buying a Windows Phone 8...
    By X0LARIUM in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 11:21 AM
  3. So when are you buying your Windows Phone 8?
    By X0LARIUM in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 11:34 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM
  5. Windows Phone 8 Watch & Business Phone?
    By Big Supes in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions