Anybody recently bought a Lumia 900? Thoughts?

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Not everybody has the budget or needs to spend $$$ on the latest WP8 devices like the HTC 8X or Lumia 920. I'm sure some ppl are perfectly fine with their Lumia 900. If you are one of those people, how do you like your experience?

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I love my L900. It's a fantastic piece of hardware. Saying that, I have talked about a few issues I've had that seem rather widespread after searching the Nokia Discussions board and also after speaking with Nokia directly.

The vibrate feature on the phone produces an increasingly annoying rattle. Mine started off very slightly but has gotten worse. This is a hardware issue - it's either a camera mechanism or the SIM card mechanism.

The screen is not as fluid and responsive as you may be used to. This seems to really be a difference in manufacturers. We've had 3 Samsung Windows Phones in our house and never noticed any screen lag whatsoever. This will be more apparent when playing games like Wordament, etc.

The back button on the bottom of the phone is horrible! When trying to back out of a game or movie, it will CONSTANTLY open up the multi-tasking interface instead of backing out of the app you are using.

Again, these are widespread issues that have been acknowledged by Nokia and they say they are working on them. I honestly don't expect the upcoming update to fix any of these issues as that update is already completed. That's not to say it won't be but I don't know.

Overall, it's the best phone I've ever hard. It's bold, unique, and amazing. There are just a few issues and almost all phones have at least a couple.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
the noise when its on vibrate which is a vast majority of the ime while I'm in court and meetings it's rather loud but its not like something is loose and vibrating all the time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a 900 to 920. As much as I love the 920, the 900 has its own unique charm. I kinda miss using it, especially that gorgeous AMOLED screen. I think the 7.8 update will make 2nd gen owners fall in love with their devices all over again. I didn't realize how much the new start screen added to the user experience until I got to try it out for myself.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a 900 to 920. As much as I love the 920, the 900 has its own unique charm. I kinda miss using it, especially that gorgeous AMOLED screen. I think the 7.8 update will make 2nd gen owners fall in love with their devices all over again. I didn't realize how much the new start screen added to the user experience until I got to try it out for myself.

I feel the same way. If 7.8 had been out, I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the 920.

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a few months now and have yet to have any of the problems listed above. It seems to be a pretty solid device. I have more of an issue with which color to use. Lol. Other that, I've done some research on the N9 (Symbian device), which similars in hardware -thanks to Nokia. If Symbian wasn't utterly dead, I'd really give the N9 a go. I had the Nokia E71 and the flexibility is almost unbeatable. So my issue isn't with the Lumia 900 as it is with having to go through Zune for everything. iTunes was 1 reason I took my iPhone back. Other than this, though, I really like the device. It's a keeper for sure.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

LongLeggs

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
that vibration rattle is the dumbest case of OCD I have ever heard. the phone still works right? it's like the people who get one little nick on their phone and suddenly the phone is no good anymore because of something cosmetic. if it were that big of deal or an actually hardware issue, they would have recalled it.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I was going to purchase either a Lumia 900 or 920 off contract, and even visited ATT about 3x to check out the L920(that red one sure is pretty). It boiled down to what 7.8 was going to offer, and based on the previews, my assessment was that 8.0 wasn't a significant enough difference to warrant me purchasing a Lumia 920. and since neither can best my Nokia N8 when it comes to day time photos, I purchased a new Lumia 900 (white). It's been six weeks, and it has been and continues to be a really wonderful experience. I just purchased a new Cyan L900 for a family member and will gift it to them in a few days once the phone number is ported.

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine in April, but I still generally like mine. Just patiently awaiting 7.8.

I do have a few problems, like the microphone not picking me up unless my mouth is right near it. I also have the issue with capacitive buttons triggering automatically.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have more of an issue with which color to use. Lol. Other that, I've done some research on the N9 (Symbian device), which similars in hardware -thanks to Nokia.

N9 is not a Symbian device. It runs the published version of Meego (which is not in fact Meego.) And its hardware is not similar to Lumia 900. There are a lot of different components between the two models.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since April, and I love it. I haven't had any of the hardware/software issues mentioned. Since it is working well for me, I haven't had a reason to upgrade to the 920 at this point. I might even keep the 900 until I'm able to upgrade my contract and then get whatever new Windows Phone device I like that is available this fall/winter or next year.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
that vibration rattle is the dumbest case of OCD I have ever heard. the phone still works right? it's like the people who get one little nick on their phone and suddenly the phone is no good anymore because of something cosmetic. if it were that big of deal or an actually hardware issue, they would have recalled it.

Or what you are experiencing, if you are experiencing the rattle, isn't nearly as bad as what users such as myself are? The rattle is EXTREMELY frustrating. My phone literally doesn't hardly vibrate - it sounds like a baby rattle. Also, when speaking on the phone, when the other talker speaks the phone rattles. Another OCD issue? Whatever man. Thanks for adding a ton to the thread, however.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Do not worry. The 900 will be supported by Nokia. It is a point of pride with them and something they use to entice new owners. It is a solid device. I have a Samsung Focus S, and I am keeping my eyes open for a cheap 900. I want Nokia support and imagination, and I want a company that believes in WP. Nokia is that company.

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Do not worry. The 900 will be supported by Nokia. It is a point of pride with them and something they use to entice new owners. It is a solid device. I have a Samsung Focus S, and I am keeping my eyes open for a cheap 900. I want Nokia support and imagination, and I want a company that believes in WP. Nokia is that company.

Oh yeah I hear ya, I had a Samsung Focus 1st Gen before and the difference with the Lumia 900 is noticeable. You won't regret it, the build quality, faster processor and the bigger screen really made a difference for me. I bought the phone brand new for only 200$ this week and it's easily the best purchase I made in a long time. Also for a phone that was announced at CES just last year it's really a good price. Only thing I really want now is the 7.8 update

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
N9 is not a Symbian device. It runs the published version of Meego (which is not in fact Meego.) And its hardware is not similar to Lumia 900. There are a lot of different components between the two models.
Yes, Meego. My error. However, from all the comparison reviews I've read, the 2 similar in hardware. I don't design or build smartphones so I wouldn't know what components make the 2 differ besides ram and such... Lol.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Hupsakee

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just got one for my wife, it is a great phone. I have a lumia 822 from work and like the 900 better. After the 7.8 update it will be even more solid.

We bought hers to bridge about 4 month to replace a failed blackberry, with the idea to get 920 in April when she can upgrade.

I don't think she wants/needs to seeing how nice the 900 is.

Martinus83

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi phatboy66,

I dont say that i have bought my Lumia 900 a day before because thats not right. I bought it half a year ago in the summer 2012. And i must say love it so much my phone, does all the thing i wish, its a fantastic phone with all kind of technique skill a phone must have. The Iphone 5 for me as Nokia Fan is the worst phone of all phones it gives on the technique market. So i can soothes say buy the phone if you have enough money its the best phone ever.

Why is say that to you. Hmmm...not difficult for me to say because in Austria where i live i had the Windows Phone Lumia 820 in my fingers. You know the new phones from Nokia especielly the Lumia series with 920 and 820. I must say i am very dissapointed of both of them because they dont be so different between my Lumia 900. The only thing is that they had a other hardware inside them, other processor and so on but not really big things for me to buy such a phone like the lumia 920 or Lumia 820

My phone i have, i hope the Upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 will come soon to us in Austria, is a technological wonder.

Hope to help you with a few things about the Lumia 900 and if you have any question to me do not hesitate to ask me.

Best regards and good night

Martin S.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I am on the same boat. Purchased Lumia 900 4 months back and got 920. Both have the their own charm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3