GPS takes forever to lock in

Teamteal

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
hi guys,
Recently i noticed it takes forever for the gps to lock in a location while offline. It would literally take 5 mins sometimes.
A couple times i tried restarting the phone and it would lock in a location within a min or so. but that obviously defeats the purpose if i have to restart it every time.

i tried contacting nokia about this and they said they would have the senior tech give me a call but i have not received a call. and another option they gave me was to send the phone in and they would check it out. turn around time would be 7-10 days.

anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do? would a hard reset make things better?

thanks

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have both noticed the same thing in the past few months. In our case it is even worse. For instance, I was driving in the mountains with Nokia Drive (offline maps). All of a sudden the GPS lost it's lock, and after several minutes it hadn't come back. I rebooted the phone, and it connected right away, within 30 seconds. I drove another 10 minutes, and lost it again. It did this 2 more times before I got to my destination. Then on the drive home, it worked all the way (an hour drive), except it lost it one time, curiously enough on a perfectly flat area with nothing in the sky.

Teamteal

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I have both noticed the same thing in the past few months. In our case it is even worse. For instance, I was driving in the mountains with Nokia Drive (offline maps). All of a sudden the GPS lost it's lock, and after several minutes it hadn't come back. I rebooted the phone, and it connected right away, within 30 seconds. I drove another 10 minutes, and lost it again. It did this 2 more times before I got to my destination. Then on the drive home, it worked all the way (an hour drive), except it lost it one time, curiously enough on a perfectly flat area with nothing in the sky.

i have noticed that a few times as well. its rather frustrating to be restarting the phone just to get a GPS lock.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem when I made a trip to my neighboring country about a week ago.

I was taking a coach up to the capital city so I thought I test drive the Nokia Drive app on my 900. To my disappointment, the GPS takes like forever to locate me, the msg bar keep displaying "Looking for GPS" until my 900 warmed up, I juz give up and exit the app as I am afraid it might drain my battery.
It really defeats the purpose of having this "Offline" feature if you cannot use it in another country. I really hope someone at Nokia see this thread and response/rectify the problem.

Karl Grabe

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here: Hi was happy to get my Canadian Nokia Lumia 900 unlocked to take it to Europe. We had some big driving planned, and having a second GPS would have been handy.

First I tried in Holland, never really connected, even with a T-Mobile SIM and data plan.... grabted, I couldn't be bothered to wait 5 minutes for it to lock onto a satellite. Here in Canada this works in seconds, why so different in Europe? Tried again in Italy, Germany, Switzerland and France, same issue.

Very frustrating.... not happy!

:unhappysweat:

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've also noticed this and its probably happening because MS is not using the cell towers in combination to GPS to lock down location, once they start using the towers it will lock in faster. hopefully that comes in on 8.1 or some where down the line on GDR3

William Krause

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I find that I can't get a GPS signal anywhere on the road between NYC and Boston. This was also true for my (Symbian) 5800, so I doubt that it's a MS problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon