Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Updating unlocked Samsung Omnia 7 on T-Mobile in the US right now - 2 Updates Completed.

Nothing yet on an Unlocked LG Optimus from Telus Mobile

Will try unlocked Samsung Focus later tonight.

finally, airplane mode trick worked. if you disable the wifi too quick, it will say can't connect with the error code and if you wait too long, it would say up to date. so just try different wait times. for me i think it was about 3-4 seconds.

lumia 900 ATT

Quote Originally Posted by blushrts717 View Post
    if you get the message you can't check for updates you are pulling the cable too fast, if it says you are up to date you are leaving it in too long. I started counting 1 Mississippi, and if I got the can't check for updates, I did it again and counted to 2. I did this until I got the message I was updated (4 Mississippi) then pulled when I got to 4 Miss (about 3.25 seconds I guess) and it worked.
    Wierd, I updated, and it wasn't 7.8. It was some update for phones without a camera button. So I went to do the cable trick a second time and this time I had to pull the cable after about one second. I'm now loading 7.8. AT&T Lumia 900.

Just to confirm there are 3 updates to go through?

I'm currently installing the third (the one that says realizable tiles and all that)

When you say disable WiFi, you mean my laptop? My phone is already in airplane mode and connected via USB.

ATT
    Nokia Lumia 900
    Windows 7

Definately reconnecting the network helps.
    Lumia 900

I did the Zune trick.
    Airplane Mode
    When I got the long wait, I plugged the network cable back in, and it found the update

Quote Originally Posted by Sam C View Post
    When you say disable WiFi, you mean my laptop? My phone is already in airplane mode and connected via USB.

ATT
    Nokia Lumia 900
    Windows 7
    You want to disconnect your computer from the internet. If you are using a wired connection you can either pull out your ethernet cable or disable the network adapter. If your computer is connected to the internet through wifi then you can disable wifi.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,375 Global Posts
    I am getting the 7.8 update on my German unlocked/unbranded HTC 7 Trophy.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

In which order? Do I hit look for updates and then unplug or unplug then hit look for updates?

Look for updates, wait a few seconds (general consensus seems to be 3-4 seconds), and then disconnect from the internet on your computer.
    Thanked by:
    Sam C 

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    hit updates count to 5 then pull the connection and when it says there is an update pug back in to the network and click update.

Mind did two updates and can’t get it to do a 3rd. I am on ATT in Chicago

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I had wifi off on phone and airplane mode. Using Corleones method, I kept switching from update to any other and turning off wifi on the computer. I really didn't think it would work. About the 5th try it did. Good luck! Did not update to 7.8, I have 8783.12. Okay, leave the wifi on the computer off, ohhhhhh. I only received 2 updates. But I am done, thank you forum!
    Last edited by itsall4tay; 01-30-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Got it. It shouldn't work logically but it works. Thanks!
    zinrai likes this.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Got it working, yay, had to force it unfortunately.

The trick for me was to make sure to run the check one time completely, before disconnect my network.
    So basically:
    • put phone in airplane mode
    • check for update in zune
    • check for update again and disable my Ethernet port
    • bamn, had to do this twice for my lumia to get the two updates.

Quote Originally Posted by YingTK View Post
    Finally got the update with the tips from previous posts...
    (Lumia 900/ AT&T)

Remember to:

(1) Put your phone to airplane mode
    (2) Unplug the cable physically! (Turning off wifi did not work for me)

Other than that, if you see "can't check for update @!#$#@", that means you're unplugging it too soon, and if you're seeing "your phone is up to date", then as mentioned in previous posts, you didn't do it quick enough. There seems to be a specific unplugging timing for you to get the update, not too fast, but not too slow either.

Be patient guys!
    I took YINK TKs advise. I was patient and finally notified of an update. The process took around 1/2 hour. But I noticed something weird. It just said "Nokia Update for windows phone". (no os # or anything.) Then, in the description it had two items: 1) Provides support for phones without a physical camera button. 2) Provides other windows phone improvements. TO MY SHOCK, THE UPDATE FINISHED "SUCCESSFULLY", AND NO NEW START SCREEN OR ANYTHING OTHER VISIBLE!!! NOW I JUST WANT TO SMASH THE PHONE. ANY HELP?????

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Took a few tries but I got the Zune trick to work. It's on the first update (phones without physical camera buttons). Hopefully it goes through all the updates without me having to do the Zune trick each time.

Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    Please remember for AT&T L900, there are two updates to get you to 7.8. I saw someone posted that for Rogers L900, there are three updates to get to 7.8.

Your final OS version shoud be 8858.

Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kashk5 View Post
    Took a few tries but I got the Zune trick to work. It's on the first update (phones without physical camera buttons). Hopefully it goes through all the updates without me having to do the Zune trick each time.
    You have to. First time, I have to wait about 3 to 4 seconds. Second time, I have wait only about 1 second.

I'm here in SoCal, AT&T Locked Lumia 900, Zune tricked worked. Only got two updates, second one was 7.8, but Bluetooth Share and Ringtone Maker from Nokia will not install on my phone. Ideas?

Mango trick finally worked!
    Blackjack 2 - Epix - Focus - Lumia 900

Do the same thing again. There are 2 updates. I have to do this too. It can be frustrating but it is easy to fix.

are they in the marketplace?

One more cabletrick, and your there. Had to do it three times, one for each update on HTC HD 7.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by konaitor View Post
    Got it working, yay, had to force it unfortunately.

The trick for me was to make sure to run the check one time completely, before disconnect my network.
    So basically:
    • put phone in airplane mode
    • check for update in zune
    • check for update again and disable my Ethernet port
    • bamn, had to do this twice for my lumia to get the two updates.
    Thanks this worked for me and my 900. I'm located in Baltimore, MD on AT&T. Go Ravens!
    Last edited by bpmurr; 01-30-2013 at 05:45 PM.

connected with Zune with no problem; all updates completed; looks nice...especially after I resized the tiles. Then went to marketplace and updated any apps that indicated availability. Nice & clean.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast