Saying goodbye to my Lumia

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Today, I decided to say good bye to my Lumia 900. After 4 devices (primary phone + 3 replacements) and one failed repair via Nokia Resolution, I've had enough.

Some back story, I bought my phone from at&t shortly after they were released to the US market, and in October 2012 had it swapped from at&t warranty due to the camera, then again from Nokia Resolution. After I received it, I noticed a far more frustrating issue.

*from my letter to a few people*

When the device is asleep, and you wake it, then slide up to unlock ? the back button does not work. For example, if you resume from standby into an app, the capacitive back button will not activate for several button presses ? or ? it will move you to the WP7 multi tasking view. Additionally, the Start / Windows flag has a similar reaction, it will either not take you back to the home screen or will activate the voice activation feature. Coincidentally, if this happens, and you attempt to tap back, it won?t let you out, and for around a minute or two you?ll be stuck/trapped in Voice Activation mode. The capacitive search feature also has similar actions.

So, I sent the phone back to Nokia, only to have them send it back with "no fault found".. essentially the phone is a frustrating piece of metal, plastic, and glass that I hate using every day. Now, I've decided to give the device back to Nokia.

You see, I'm not out for a refund, or another replacement, or early upgrade. I no longer wish to own the device as a result of this fiasco, and what I could "earn" from selling the device on craigslist or ebay (or similar) is irrelevant.

As such, today I wrote Stephen Elop (yet again) to request an address where I could send the phone. I cc'ed the letter to a few people at Microsoft, not to get a reply, just to say "Hey here's a partner of yours who has made my life miserable. Thought you should know. "

I'm not sure what device I'll use, perhaps none at all. I have a Zune HD for music, and can use that with my Zune/XBOX Music Pass.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I found this happens with a specific app, but nothing else on the phone. Did you try seeing if it was related to a specific app causing this issue?

For me it was a 911 scanner I downloaded just to see how well it worked.

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Nah, it's not an app. It's the device. Even if there's nothing running in the background, or otherwise dehydrated, and you resume straight to the start screen, the phone's response to taps on the capacitive buttons is present. I thought it was an app, so I nuked the phone and was able to replace the problem 100% of the time.

edit: to clarify. When I say "when you resume" - that means, the phone is "powered on" but in standby. and you quickly press the power on/off/standby/wake/sleep button on the right of the phone, above the camera button, then take your finger and from the bottom of the screen - slide up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)