Sim Error - Sim Missing/Invalid - Lumia 900 Permanently Locked?

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Help,

Before I moved overseas I got the Unlock code from ATT and tried it with my new sim. I was told by ATT that all I needed to to was insert new sim, power on, and the phone would ask for the unlock code. When I did it, it was asking for a PIN#. I entered the unlock code but it kept saying invalid. I got down to "4 attempts left" and gave it to someone at the local carrier. They gave it back to me unworking and now it says "sim error - sim not installed or is invaid. Emergency calls only. The sim is good and I have verified the correct unlock code with ATT.

Anyone know what to do? Is is a brick now or can it be fixed?

Thanks

Howard Kao

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the PIN for the SIM card may be different from the att unlock code. The PIN is specific to the SIM card you are using, and can be unlocked with the PUK (PIN unlock key) code if the SIM card has been locked by multiple failed attempts at the PIN, should be an 8 digit numeric code provided on the card that your SIM card came in. Not sure where to find the SIM's PIN, however, but try contacting your service provider. Good luck.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - I think I've got the PIN/PUK number thing sorted out. The problem now is that my 900 is not recognizing the sim anymore. I even bought another one just to make sure it wasn't the sim. Same error message -" Sim Error. The sim is not installed or is invalid."

I also have taken it to Nokia Care and they say there is nothing they can do. The phone has gone past its 10 attempts at unlocking. Went to another mobile store that unlocks phones and they say its done too....Just hoping to find a back door solution before I trash it.

YingTK

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I am at the exactly same situation here. AT&T provided me wrong unlock code which a supervisor then confirmed with me, and my phone won't take any sim card from at&t anymore, and the store I went to told me the phone is dead in their opinion... This really sucks, at&t!

girishlingamaneni

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I am eagerly waiting for a solution from you guys. Please help. Nokia customer care center people are saying that they will do only authorized phones, As this phone is from US it can't be done by them. Expecting the response from you friends

jaqbk

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem "sim error - sim not installed or is invaid. Emergency calls only." anybody knows solution ? thanks in advance

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys....Sorry but I am still stuck (see my original post at the top).

Nokia Viet Nam has tried very hard to get the phone unlocked but they were unsuccessful. It turns out that the phone is permanently locked to my original carrier(ATT) do to one of their reps giving me the incorrect unlocking instruction. Lumia's only allow you 10 unlocking attempts before they are 'permanently' locked to the original carrier ATT.is unwilling to help me. So I'm back on Android..

.If you wanna know how I got Nokia to be so helpful I emailed Elop! (CEO of Nokia). He emailed me right back and put me in touch with Nokia Care Viet Nam who was very helpful (they had my phone for a month), or at least they tried very hard. But still no luck...

I did find a YouTube video that shows you how to "short out" (i guess) the sim and it will unlock the phone. Haven't tried it yet and on't know if it just does a 'normal' unlock or if it will actually fix this...here's the link for you that want to try....

How To Unlock Nokia Lumia 900 To Any Network For FREE - YouTube

By the way. It starts out by saying "here's the way to remove the screen" but stick with it, you have to remove the screen to get to the sim area.. Good luck

I will be back in touch if I find a solution.

Last edited:

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
ATT does really suck. I intentionally did 'live chats' with their agents to have a record of our conversation. They took no responsibility whatsoever for providing me the incorrect instructions. See my new post below - maybe it will help.

PS- I ran up $1000 in roaming charges before it cut out. Good luck ATT getting it..hihihi

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but like I said about the phone is permanently locked by the carrier. Nothing can be done unless the carrier agrees to unlock it, which they wont. Besides, ive moved on. rockin an HTC 8S which is great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos