Nokia Lumia 900 Audio Problem

edgewood guy

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia 900 has a number of audio problems I believe are all related:

1. The ear speaker does not work during phone calls. The mic does not work unless the phone is in speaker mode. In speaker mode, the phone functions as it should (I can both transmit and receive voice). As soon as I switch out of speaker mode, I can no longer transmit at all and can only hear calls if head phones are plugged into the jack.

2. The tones associated with dialing phone numbers or typing text messages, and various other tones when switching screens, etc. only work after performing the DTMF test in the Diagnostics app. As soon as I dial a new phone call and the call answers, all the tones are gone again until I repeat the DTMF test.

3. When I complete the Diagnostics app, all tests pass, even the Audio Loopback tests. The only fail is the Headset Detection test. The phone thinks a headset is connected when there is none.

So my guess is that since the phone thinks headphones are plugged in all the time, there is probably a hardware malfunction with the headphone jack. But even if the phone thinks there is a headset plugged in, my mic should still transmit, but it doesn't. That last part is a mystery to me. I attempted to clean out the jack the best I could to no avail.

I've already checked with AT&T and with Nokia. My phone is out of warranty, so they will be no help. I have completed both soft and hard resets of the phone and reinstalled all the latest updates. Nothing works.

Any ideas out there to get this phone working properly? There is a really good video on YouTube of how to take the thing apart. I'm considering replacing the phone jack.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
But even if the phone thinks there is a headset plugged in - A headset has a microphone built in, so your device's mic is not interested in listening to you.

A possible solution is a bluetooth earphone.

edgewood guy

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
When I said headset, I meant headphones, i.e., earbuds, so there is no mic other than the one on my phone. That mic should still work when I have earbuds plugged in during a phone call, but it doesn't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo