Will AT&T control OTA updates for Lumia 920?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Or does WP8 allow Nokia and MS to completely by pass the carrier and push updates directly to the phone like Apple does with the iPhone?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No.

Apple is the only company with the power to push the carrier around. Carriers will have Microsoft by the balls with WP8, until its as popular as Android.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here is the difference. The carriers will push out the official updates but if you are willing to sign an agreement with Microsoft (assume email login here or something simple like that) you can receive updates when they are released affectively bypassing the carriers.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is the difference. The carriers will push out the official updates but if you are willing to sign an agreement with Microsoft (assume email login here or something simple like that) you can receive updates when they are released affectively bypassing the carriers.

Can you elaborate on this a bit on how this works? What do you mean sign an agreement with MS? Don't they already have your hotmail/other email address when you setup your phone?

I'll sign anything if I can bypass the carriers.

tapiocamilktea

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Why doesn't Google do this? I'm sure 99% of people would sign anything immediately to bypass carriers.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

I remember Microsoft mentioning something like this during their Summit in June I think. Personally think it's a lot better than waiting on the carrier. Me likey.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Its basically for developers (and somewhat enthusiasts). It allows developers to make sure their apps work with the latest updates without having to wait for carriers to update their phone. The alternate is developer phones which can be too pricey for hobbyist developers.

experiment 626

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Why doesn't Google do this? I'm sure 99% of people would sign anything immediately to bypass carriers.

Google does do this with their GSM Nexus phones. But CDMA land is a whole different ball-game.Also the Android manufacturer OS overlays(Sense,TouchWiz,Moto-Blur) need to be reconciled with each Google OS update so that adds a layer of red-tape.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3