Nokia showed Apple how to build a phone!

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, the iPhone 5 is mostly a disappoinment. Sure, the thing is thin, but that's about it. It has some oddball non HD resolution. A new connector that is sure to annoy people to death. An aluminum shell that is sure to scratch easily. nothing much to say about the camera, which pales in comparison to the 920. No NFC. No wireless charging. The 920's display sounds much better.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Agree with everything above. But the iPhone 5 is only 7.6 mm thick and weighs only 112 gms! And we thought the Galaxy S3 was light at 135 gms. It is a remarkable achievement any way you look at it.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Agree with everything above. But the iPhone 5 is only 7.6 mm thick and weighs only 112 gms! And we thought the Galaxy S3 was light at 135 gms. It is a remarkable achievement any way you look at it.

Yes, and using premium materials. And usable with one hand.

Nokia used their own odd screen resolutions for like a decade and no one complained. The PPI is still retina level and is no one else getting tired of these huge phones. I miss my 4" devices, personally.

NFC has thus far proven to be almost useless its taking so long to go mainstream Apple can afford to skip it. Pass book will become useful in months but in a year we may still be waiting for NFC at walmart...

I'm not buying the phone, though. Just the touch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and using premium materials. And usable with one hand.

Nokia used their own odd screen resolutions for like a decade and no one complained. The PPI is still retina level and is no one else getting tired of these huge phones. I miss my 4" devices, personally.

NFC has thus far proven to be almost useless its taking so long to go mainstream Apple can afford to skip it. Pass book will become useful in months but in a year we may still be waiting for NFC at walmart...

I'm not buying the phone, though. Just the touch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Well if Apple had included NFC, that could have made it mainstream.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It may be thin, but not after slapping an otterbox case on it like most of the iPhones I've seen have.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's nice, but not a leap by any means.

The iPhone4 and 4S seem more attractive because of their lower price points.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say, the iPhone 5 is mostly a disappoinment. Sure, the thing is thin, but that's about it. It has some oddball non HD resolution. A new connector that is sure to annoy people to death. An aluminum shell that is sure to scratch easily. nothing much to say about the camera, which pales in comparison to the 920. No NFC. No wireless charging. The 920's display sounds much better.

Its a galaxy SIII now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It has some oddball non HD resolution.

I think they had a good reason for going with this oddball resolution. Their goal was not to change the devices width, so it wouldn't be harder to hold in one hand, particularly for those with small hands.

As a result, they kept the horizontal resolution the same and just added pixels to the displays top/bottom. That sounds like a good idea to me. It is a good example of caring more about usability than specs.

However, not everyone wants the same size screen, and some people actually do have bigger than average sized hands (as hard as that is to believe). Apple's problem is that they just aren't giving consumers any choice in the matter.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
But if my hand isn't wide enough to use the wider phone with one hand, it sure as heck isn't going to be long enough to go the height of that phone.

Also, with that width, they can't do HD (720) video. That seems kinda major to me.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But if my hand isn't wide enough to use the wider phone with one hand, it sure as heck isn't going to be long enough to go the height of that phone.

Also, with that width, they can't do HD (720) video. That seems kinda major to me.

I don't know how you hold your phone, but most people hold their phones on the left and right sides, not on the top and bottom.

If, when looking at the iPhone5's display, your eyes can't tell the difference between 640 and 720 pixels in horizontal resolution, then what is the benefit of adding those extra 80 pixels? As far as I can tell that is an irrelevant issue, not a major one. IMHO those extra 80 pixels only make sense on phones with larger/wider displays where PPI would fall below 300 without upping resolution.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the iPhone5's display myself and I'm just trusting Apple when they say the human eye cannot discern the individual pixels at the display size and resolution they've chosen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb