Carriers and question

truthteller10

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks..I want to move on from Android and the 920 looks absolutely fabulous so I have some questions.

What carriers in the US will it come to?

Can you do the same things that you can do with android such as rooting and getting free tethering? Can you use different keyboards to your liking and load custome roms for different looks and performance?

Thanks

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, we know the 920 will come to AT&T (tentatively November 2nd, subject to change), but beyond that we're not sure due to previous exclusive deals.

For the 820, we've heard rumors about T-Mobile (Very Likely) and Verizon (Possibly), but no definitive dates yet. Personally, I expect we'll hear dates by the end of September.

For rooting... no, not the way you see in Android. There are several unlocking mechanisms, but not for every phone, and WP8 is expected to bring extensive security to prevent it.

WP8 sounds as though it will be possible to alter the keyboards, but there's nothing confirmed yet. That said, I met a few folks from Microsoft last week and said that it's a highly desirable feature if they want to bring Android users in.

Custom ROMs are available on some devices, but see the comment on rooting above.

Bottom line... you definitely give up some flexibility and customization freedom coming from Android, but overall the platform and the devices are much more stable than Android. If you're coming for a 920, you'll gain a lot more customization and functionality than we currently have on WP7, so it's a definite win.

truthteller10

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, we know the 920 will come to AT&T (tentatively November 2nd, subject to change), but beyond that we're not sure due to previous exclusive deals.

For the 820, we've heard rumors about T-Mobile (Very Likely) and Verizon (Possibly), but no definitive dates yet. Personally, I expect we'll hear dates by the end of September.

For rooting... no, not the way you see in Android. There are several unlocking mechanisms, but not for every phone, and WP8 is expected to bring extensive security to prevent it.

WP8 sounds as though it will be possible to alter the keyboards, but there's nothing confirmed yet. That said, I met a few folks from Microsoft last week and said that it's a highly desirable feature if they want to bring Android users in.

Custom ROMs are available on some devices, but see the comment on rooting above.

Bottom line... you definitely give up some flexibility and customization freedom coming from Android, but overall the platform and the devices are much more stable than Android. If you're coming for a 920, you'll gain a lot more customization and functionality than we currently have on WP7, so it's a definite win.

Ok thanks..The only way i'd move is if it was Tmobile so hopefully they make that happen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon