Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Any chance of the 920 coming to tmobile or at least sporting their aws band for hspa+?

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts
    No 920 for Tmo :(

At least that the thread I read on Weave today from the Parent company rep. More then likely they will get the 820 and HTC devices.

http://wmpoweruser.com/deutsche-tele...kia-lumia-920/
    Last edited by Ebaneeezor; 09-13-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Dang I'm really wanting this phone. Maybe they will have their 1900 band refarmed in my area so it will work on 4G. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebaneeezor View Post
    No 920 for Tmo :(

At least that the thread I read on Weave today from the Parent company rep. More then likely they will get the 820 and HTC devices.

Deutsche Telekom confirms they will not be carrying the Nokia Lumia 920 | WMPoweruser
    ...which would be why I am most likely going to be switching from t-mo to either AT+T or Verizon (whichever one gets the red 920).

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    I'll be waiting for the deployment of the new 1900 band (end of Q4) and buying a 920 direct from Nokia and use T-Mobile's $30/month plan which is 5GB 4G data, unlimited texting and 150 minutes talk time. Considering that free VOIP calling will be supported by WP8, 150 minutes is all I'll ever need.
    Last edited by vp710; 09-13-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    Thanked by:
    MAERSK 
    MAERSK likes this.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    that's the plan I have. Only its 100 minutes not 150. Unless they changed it.
    Thanked by:
    vp710 

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminatorbob View Post
    that's the plan I have. Only its 100 minutes not 150. Unless they changed it.
    Yeah you're right it's 100 min.

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts
    You could always buy out of contract and unlock it - I do think ATT and Tmobiles networks are compatible - I remember that the Galaxy Note buyers were doing this.

Global Posts
    2,146 Global Posts
    You could always buy out of contract and unlock it - I do think ATT and Tmobiles networks are compatible - I remember that the Galaxy Note buyers were doing this.
    The voice networks are compatible and the 2G networks are as well. But the 3G/4G networks are not. Yet. T-Mobile is currently refarming their spectrum to become compatible with AT&T's frequencies. So later this year and into 2013 you'll be able to bring an unlocked AT&T phone to T-Mo and use it perfectly.
    Lumia 635

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    The voice networks are compatible and the 2G networks are as well. But the 3G/4G networks are not. Yet. T-Mobile is currently refarming their spectrum to become compatible with AT&T's frequencies. So later this year and into 2013 you'll be able to bring an unlocked AT&T phone to T-Mo and use it perfectly.
    If this is true, then an unlocked 920 is my next phone.

ATT is expensive.

If the 920 comes out in Nov and T-Mobiles spectrum is suppose to be complete this year, then this could be good timing.

Global Posts
    2,146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrc717 View Post
    If this is true, then an unlocked 920 is my next phone.

ATT is expensive.

If the 920 comes out in Nov and T-Mobiles spectrum is suppose to be complete this year, then this could be good timing.
    Not if it's true. It is true. It's happening right now. So start saving your money for an unlocked 920. Though I am not sure if you'll get LTE on it. I don't know the answer to that.
    Lumia 635

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Not if it's true. It is true. It's happening right now. So start saving your money for an unlocked 920. Though I am not sure if you'll get LTE on it. I don't know the answer to that.
    I think you might get LTE since AT&T does use both 700Mhz and AWS for LTE, and T-Mobile plans on deploying LTE on AWS also (though I don't think LTE will launch until next year).

I think the bigger question is whether AT&T will allow for unlocked Lumia 920's. Remember the Lumia 900? People couldn't get unlock codes for that because of AT&T. I think only the Canadian Lumia 900 was unlockable, and the European version was unlocked, but was sans LTE.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    Villain likes this.

Global Posts
    2,146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    I think you might get LTE since AT&T does use both 700Mhz and AWS for LTE, and T-Mobile plans on deploying LTE on AWS also (though I don't think LTE will launch until next year).

I think the bigger question is whether AT&T will allow for unlocked Lumia 920's. Remember the Lumia 900? People couldn't get unlock codes for that because of AT&T. I think only the Canadian Lumia 900 was unlockable, and the European version was unlocked, but was sans LTE.
    Yes, I think you're right about LTE. I just did some searching and T-Mobile is definitely going to deploy it, but it doesn't look like it will be done anytime soon. I suspect it'll be done sometime by mid 2013. But the 4G HSPA+ will be done sooner.
    Lumia 635

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    I have been reading about using straight Talk pre paid. From what I understand you can use either tmobile or att signals depending on what phone you have. I wonder if the lumia would still have to be unlocked to work?

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    I have been reading about using straight Talk pre paid. From what I understand you can use either tmobile or att signals depending on what phone you have. I wonder if the lumia would still have to be unlocked to work?
    You choose either a T-Mobile SIM card or a AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk.

If you choose the AT&T version, it does not have to be unlocked. You won't get LTE though on Straight Talk. And I think you need a microSIM.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    You choose either a T-Mobile SIM card or a AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk.

If you choose the AT&T version, it does not have to be unlocked. You won't get LTE though on Straight Talk. And I think you need a microSIM.
    How fast are AT&T's hspa speeds? If they are reasonably quick no lte wouldn't be a deal breaker. For 45 a month you get unlimited everything with no mention of data throttling from what I have found.

I'm on tmobile prepaid right now and the speeds are blazingly fast in my area.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    How fast are AT&T's hspa speeds? If they are reasonably quick no lte wouldn't be a deal breaker. For 45 a month you get unlimited everything with no mention of data throttling from what I have found.

I'm on tmobile prepaid right now and the speeds are blazingly fast in my area.
    Depends where you are and on network congestion. With full signal strength on a good day, I seem to get 4-5mbps down (at least I did on my iPhone with the speedtest app, and whatever the WP equivalent was that's now gone), but normally I get 1.5-3mbps on an average day. You'll probably get faster speeds on T-Mobile.

It's actually not unlimited everything, Straight Talk used to actually deactivate people's data if they thought they used too much, then if you called up and got your data reinstated and got caught using too much data again, eventually after a certain number of time's they'd just cancel your account, no refunds.

That's changed now, they appear to be throttling instead. I think if you use too much data and are throttled, you can call in, and they'll fix it but it'll only last for a day. The next day you'll be throttled again and I think this would last until the next billing cycle.

I use Straight Talk, but haven't run into these problems, but I have read about them from others who have. It's hard to recommend them because of the data thing, if you're a heavy data user, it's hard to recommend ST. Plus, if you really like T-Mobile's speeds, even though ST's speeds are decent, it's probably not close to T-Mobile (what are your speeds btw?).

What T-Mobile plan are you on if I may ask?

And you can read more about Straight Talk here if you want. Lots of information, but you kind of need to look for it.

Straight Talk

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts
    good point, I remember it only going to 2g, people saying slow as heck and not worth it.

Global Posts
    2,146 Global Posts
    good point, I remember it only going to 2g, people saying slow as heck and not worth it.
    Correct. 2G speeds are horrible and I would not pay for them either.
    Lumia 635
    vp710 likes this.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    For 45 a month you get unlimited everything with no mention of data throttling from what I have found.
    On ATT? What plan is that? Is it a prepaid one?

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    On ATT? What plan is that? Is it a prepaid one?
    It's Straight Talk. Data isn't actually unlimited.
    Thanked by:
    vp710 

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    It's Straight Talk. Data isn't actually unlimited.
    Thanks!! Yeah, it seems there are a few restrictions with straight talk: MMS support not guaranteed (for example you have to jailbreak an iPhone to make them work), 100MB/day and 2GB/month data caps (not confirmed) and above all, no tethering. This is a deal breaker when you live in Louisiana and are at the mercy of hurricane induced power outages. Tethering from my 710 was a life saver after Isaac.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Thanks!! Yeah, it seems there are a few restrictions with straight talk: MMS support not guaranteed (for example you have to jailbreak an iPhone to make them work), 100MB/day and 2GB/month data caps (not confirmed) and above all, no tethering. This is a deal breaker when you live in Louisiana and are at the mercy of hurricane induced power outages. Tethering from my 710 was a life saver after Isaac.
    Yeah if you rely on data then it's hard for me to recommend Straight Talk. If they think you use "too much" they'll throttle you for what I heard is the rest of your service cycle (each service cycle being thirty day periods).

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Data is essential in those cases I mentioned. Let's just hope T-Mobile hurries up the refarming.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    Depends where you are and on network congestion. With full signal strength on a good day, I seem to get 4-5mbps down (at least I did on my iPhone with the speedtest app, and whatever the WP equivalent was that's now gone), but normally I get 1.5-3mbps on an average day. You'll probably get faster speeds on T-Mobile.

It's actually not unlimited everything, Straight Talk used to actually deactivate people's data if they thought they used too much, then if you called up and got your data reinstated and got caught using too much data again, eventually after a certain number of time's they'd just cancel your account, no refunds.

That's changed now, they appear to be throttling instead. I think if you use too much data and are throttled, you can call in, and they'll fix it but it'll only last for a day. The next day you'll be throttled again and I think this would last until the next billing cycle.

I use Straight Talk, but haven't run into these problems, but I have read about them from others who have. It's hard to recommend them because of the data thing, if you're a heavy data user, it's hard to recommend ST. Plus, if you really like T-Mobile's speeds, even though ST's speeds are decent, it's probably not close to T-Mobile (what are your speeds btw?).

What T-Mobile plan are you on if I may ask?

And you can read more about Straight Talk here if you want. Lots of information, but you kind of need to look for it.

Straight Talk
    I average probably 16 down and 1.5 up.

I'm on the 30 dollar a month pre paid plan. 100 minutes, unlimited text and 5gb of 4G data.

Thanks for the link! From the sound of it u might be better off keeping what I have.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast