iPhone 5 or Lumia 920?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I seen photos of some with a HOLE at the top and light shines through it when in the dark. WTF. Sloppy manufacturing.

Now that's funny.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is not build well, numerous reports of ratling, light bleed, scratches out of the box or easy scratches on the back etc. I know Nokia has a good reputation so i will definitly go for the 920.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered an iphone 5 on verizon (Switched carriers from Sprint in the process).... I have had the 16GB white iPhone 5 for myself a week now to play. I am not all that impressed.

I got a black 16GB for the wife. She's indifferent. Reminds her of the Palm Pre. Matter of fact, her quote was, "Oh, it has screens of icons like my little pre".

I gave up on my HTC Arrive for the carrier switch. SPrint just had gotten bad here. So the carrier switch was the MAIN thing for us. Secondary was devices. Of course, the only choice was iphone or Droid.... with that said....

I miss my WP.

I really think I will be getting a WP8 on Verizon launch and selling off my iphone 5 to pay for it since I'll most likey have to pat full price.

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 4S (and have also owned the 4 and 3gs) so it would just be easier for me to get the 5, but nothing about that phone excites me. It just seems "okay" and thats it. The Nokia 920--wow! It looks awesome! I just don't know if I can lug around a phone that big. I had the 900 briefly. Loved the UI but hated the camera so I returned it. I though that phone was a little too big, and I believe the 920 is even bigger. Right? I'll just have to wait and see one when they come out. I think for the most part, unless I stick with the iPhone, I'm going to end up with a bigger phone one way or the other. Thats the trend now so until they start going the other way I'll just have to suck it up. I'm just glad my upgrade isn't until November so I'm not tempted by the iPhone 5 hype when the Lumia 920 is just around the corner. I'm sure there are a ton more of apps available now than when I had the 900 too, so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't care if I have to re-buy apps on a new platform. I just wish the darn thing would come out so I can get my hands on a demo!

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is tempting because of the 4" screen. I hate how manufacturers are going larger and larger and leaving their middle tier phones to a smaller screen. I want a 4" screen with high PPI (no pentile) and all the same features as the 920. I can't be the only one that wants a 4" screen on a phone???

I wouldn't call that a true 4 inch screen though. In portrait mode it is exactly the same as the 4s except you see more at the top and it is harder to use with one hand. In landscape it is vertically challenged.

So I would say that it is more like a 3.7 inch screen which is ironically the same size as the Lumia 800.

The 820 and 8s are the closest to what you want but they are both low res. Still better than the iphone 5 though with that disgrace of a deformed screen no matter how sharp it is.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
How many users reported this out of the sold devices? 100, 200, 500, 1,000,000?

No one knows for sure. Let's just say enough for the media to make a big deal about it and the fact that almost every single review unit having the dent and flaking issue is quite a strong indicator that it is at least somewhat widespread.

Also my friend who brought his 4s in for an issue saw someone go through brand new ones before finding one without a scuff. Anecdotal evidence for sure but enough reports like these to indicate that there is substance to the reports.

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I already have an iPhone 5 and while I am in love with aesthetically and love the app ecosystem. I'll probably still buy a 920! I just hope that WP8 has some kind of new notification system more like Android & iOS.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Its its your first iPhone I say go for it. But if you've had previous iPhone, then you should definitely go Lumia. I've had so many iPhones that I left after the 4 and I have no plans on going back unless they release something really magical. The iPhone 5 wasn't it, for me. But I've been with window phone 7 since day one, and its just as fresh as it was the day it released.

krispy_mobile

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
For instance I prefer being able to operate my phone with one hand which is why, I'd take a high-end 4 inch or less Lumia any day. Seriously, the iPhone's dimensions are perfect...in my opinion.

I recently picked up an iPhone 5. I had been using a Galaxy Nexus (4.65" screen). When comparing them, I was very surprised to find the Nexus was more comfortable to use one handed and seemed more stable in my hand. The straight edges, lack of curved back, and narrow, somewhat bookmark-like dimensions of the iPhone seemed the culprit.

Granted, the small size of the iPhone did make it much less noticeable in my pocket and somewhat more portable.

I ended up returning the iPhone and am considering the 920 as my 2nd phone (still keeping an android phone regardless). The iPhone really felt like going backwards in tech and capabilities. If I only talked and texted on my phone I may have kept it. But, I am on the web quite a lot, watch video, view documents, manage stock trades, and more with my phone. These things were definitely a poorer experience on the new 4" iPhone.

No, I'm not an apply hater. I own an iPad 3 and Macbook Air. Yes, I realize this is my opinion. That is self-evident.

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm using my iPhone for over 2 years now, and before that I was even a apple ******. I have got a Macbook Air at home as my laptop, and a Mac Mini as home theatre server for movies with plex and other stuff. It's really hard to break the cycle...

BUT the reasons I bought the following three:
1) It was until that day impossible to buy an iPhone if you were no telekom client.
2) the new iPhone 4 looked incredible compared to the iPhone 3GS
3) I was so happy with the apple products I had

2) was the main reason to be honest.
But now, with the Update to the iPhone 5 I am so disappointed. The iPhone looks just like the iPhone 4, but a little bit longer and thinner. That's s so ****ing Boring. In addition to that, everyone in Germany is having an iPhone 5. boring too....

Now THIS phone, actually it's a little bit TOO big for me, but I'll at least give it a try if it's out and have a look at it in some store...

The OS looks awesome, sadly no matt cyan :(

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Id love 920 specs in the 800 body, perfect phone. Buy that's my preference! I'm sure it won't take long to get used 4.5".

If they built that, I would literally buy it tomorrow.

But the giant XL brick phone? Not so much. I can stick with my 900 and wait for something better.

If I HAD to get a new phone tomorrow, it would be the 820, but I would not be excited about 800x480 resolution and no Gorilla Glass. :dry

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If I HAD to get a new phone tomorrow, it would be the 820, but I would not be excited about 800x480 resolution and no Gorilla Glass. :dry

That's why I would not choose the 820... I want the camera, I want the better resolution, I want gorilla glas for sure.

So 920 is the only choice right now, and I'll give it a try at least. If it's too big in the end, I'll sell it...

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just sold my iPhone 4s and currently using an original Samsung Focus. Note impressed with the iPhone 5 and very interested in the 920. Hopefully Windows 8 phone OS turns out great. There are definite things I hope they improve on. I just wish the 920 had a real button for the Windows key that can turn on the phone. Just way more convenient. That and hopefully vendors improve their apps. Just because an app might be on the Windows Marketplace doesn't mean much if it is missing half the features of the iPhone version.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I already have an iPhone 5 and while I am in love with aesthetically and love the app ecosystem. I'll probably still buy a 920! I just hope that WP8 has some kind of new notification system more like Android & iOS.

Notification is the same as before (WP7). You get the notice on top edge of the screen and then the Live Tile gets updated.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
To me the iphone 5 is boring ... i find myself using my 808 more often than the iphone, and I suspect the 920 will be better than both of them.

ozziegt

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, MS announced on Monday that you will be able to sync all your iTunes music (and I assume movies as well?) with Windows Phones, so I don't think there is anything to worry about on that front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss