iPhone 5 or Lumia 920?

Andershm

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Let me state right up front: I'm much more excited about WP8 and Lumia than the iPhone 5. I wish I could switch away from my sequence of iPhones. The problem is that I'm smothered into the Apple ecosystem (which is exactly Apple's game plan, of course). Movies and music, for one. All the movies I already bought through iTunes. It's not even clear to me how to buy movies on a Windows Phone. And then there is integration with iPad and Mac. Does Windows Phone integrate well enough with Mac (example: the windows phone help page say you have to buy movies on a PC and transfer to the phone. No mention about buying movies directly on the phone or on a Mac). And there is iMessage.

A have a few hours to decide if I should pre-order the Iphone 5, or wait for the Lumina, and I'm torn.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Let me state right up front: I'm much more excited about WP8 and Lumia than the iPhone 5. I wish I could switch away from my sequence of iPhones. The problem is that I'm smothered into the Apple ecosystem (which is exactly Apple's game plan, of course). Movies and music, for one. All the movies I already bought through iTunes. It's not even clear to me how to buy movies on a Windows Phone. And then there is integration with iPad and Mac. Does Windows Phone integrate well enough with Mac (example: the windows phone help page say you have to buy movies on a PC and transfer to the phone. No mention about buying movies directly on the phone or on a Mac). And there is iMessage.

A have a few hours to decide if I should pre-order the Iphone 5, or wait for the Lumina, and I'm torn.
well. I think waiting for the 920 is best. why?. because you'll get more of the Lumia 920 than you get from the ip5. and because since you are in the apple ecosystem which is a problem. I think just sell your ipad and mac and get a tablet PC. and you get more money from the selling and use some of it to buy a surface pro or any other tablet. the main things you need is just a wp and a windows tablet. that's it. pretty cheap I say. saves you tones of money. and since the 920 is exciting you more. in conclusion I think you should wait for the 920. because you got a perfectly working phone. the ip is not an improvement. and it depends on your excitement.

Warning: if you go iphone 5 you'll be stuck with it and say it's boring constantly.

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't quite get the point of iTunes TV & movies when they're not streaming. Amazon Prime video makes a lot more sense.

Andershm

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't quite get the point of iTunes TV & movies when they're not streaming. Amazon Prime video makes a lot more sense.

Well, if you have kids, it does make sense. Most of my movies are for my kids, who watch the same thing again and again. And streaming is not realistic in a restaurant without WiFi when you want a quiet dinner.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I would think your 4S is still fine, so why not wait for the iPhone 5 heat to die down and decide when all features of WP8 are out and you can see whether are there video downloading services straight from MS or other vendors?

Rushing into a pre-order will be folly IMO. Besides, I will think MS has a few tricks up its sleeves to try and break the Apple stranglehold.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
We really just don't have enough information to answer your questions yet. We can expect some integration with apple products but not everything has been revealed. I would suggest waiting till we have enough information available for you to make an informed decision.

I don't do the movie stuff much but I can tell you that Netflix works. I have a Slingbox so I use sling player on my Lumia. I know you can buy movies on Zune and watch them on your phone. You can also transfer video to SkyDrive then stream to to your phone. How will this all integrates with a Mack I couldn't tell you. I would suggest if you decide to wait look around for a cheep WP7 device get you a live account and start seeing what the Microsoft ecosystem is like. It is a battle of ecosystems I think in the long run they will be similar but with distinct differences. At the present time we simply don't have enough information.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

Breaking the ecosystem grip will be difficult, if you "think" it will be, its simply a mindset based in a financial point of view. It will come down to what you enjoy, what works. I Know I was also deeply rooted in iPhone with well over 140 apps, movies, and music as well, some of those apps costing 35$ each (Sg project pro for iPhone and iPad and Mac). Looking at this was exactly what I needed to do to help me realize that the one thing that was holding me there was the reason I needed to go. You see, it came to a point where iEcosystem owned me, I know longer owned it. The moment I realized that the ecosystem was driving me, I knew it was time to move on. I dont like things driving me, I use them - not the other way around. The investment part is hard to ignore because money is attached to it, but I would argue why keep digging that hole deeper? Is it not you that makes the decisions of what you do, and not an ecosystem? I personally prefer an ecosystem that allows flexibility without bias of device, and I believe Microsoft products are more flexible. When you buy a movie, isnt it yours? why "Must" it be played only on something that Apple produces? Start to use services that are cross platform or at least digital friendly like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Rhapsody and digital copy. Not that Apple is a bad way either, just never plan to experience anything else - I like choice and know that change is going to happen, so I no longer lock myself into choices that give leverage over me later. Know that when you buy an app, that it will not be forever, its simply the price of temporary entertainment to satisfy your current need only - like going to the movies.

I can sum this up in this way my undecided friend - make your choice based on what you enjoy, stick to that decision and you wont regret it ( I know I do not miss Apple one bit ) - and you can use this as an excuse to get shiny new tech toys :) but seriously - we are to love people and use things, dont love things and use people. Not that you are, I added that statement because it helped me finalize my switch - because in the grand scheme of things, it matters little anyway, that comment helped me understand that it really didnt matter, it just mattered that I enjoyed/used the device and it worked.
Good luck with whatever you choose, and enjoy it :)

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
X4xV8.png

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Unfortunately he has so much invested into apple, it would be foolish to change. However, Can't one just use their current iphone as an itouch or whatever they call those ipods nowadays and get a wp8 as the actual phone? Gosh darn I'm brilliant.

Indeed a brilliant solution. It enjoys nearly every benefit the iPhone 5 have and comes at a reasonable (for Apple) price of US$299

The iPad may be a better solution given how movies should be enjoyed on a larger screen and a WiFi iPad @ US$499 shouldn't be too hefty a price tag.

The best solution however will be to keep his current iPhone as the video player and use the L920 for tethering if needed.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you know how you get out of ecosystem A B or C? Sell it! Change your appleID email to some throw away email address, cull anything personal out of the icloud, then put it and the device up for sale! Apple says you can't do that? F them! They don't have a friggin clue who is behind the apple ID. I'm guessing those VERY few people have a heavy investment in apps most of the good ones are free and there are legal ways of breaking your media out of iTunes prison.

The ecosystem excuse is just that, an excuse. People that use it are weak.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
you know how you get out of ecosystem A B or C? Sell it! Change your appleID email to some throw away email address, cull anything personal out of the icloud, then put it and the device up for sale! Apple says you can't do that? F them! They don't have a friggin clue who is behind the apple ID. I'm guessing those VERY few people have a heavy investment in apps most of the good ones are free and there are legal ways of breaking your media out of iTunes prison.

The ecosystem excuse is just that, an excuse. People that use it are weak.

thats actually really brilliant, ive sold tons of my iPhones, but never thought about the itunes/apps....mine is currently set to my main email account, I could just update it to a random email, transfer it to that one for someone to use....very cool thought :)

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile

Andershm

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I did pre-order an iPhone 5. I was just afraid that if I didn't pre-order they would be sold out, and I would have to wait long to get one (now I have an iPhone 3GS, which is getting behind the curve). However, due to problems with AT&T server, I have until Saturday to complete my order, so I'm still thinking. Thanks for all the comments. I guess it also comes down to laziness. It's not only the money but also the time needed to change eco-systems. I may wait until my next upgrade in two years and see how things develop with Windows 8. Fortunately, my biggest eco-system investment is in Kindle books. I have consciously avoided buying any iBooks not to be even further tied down in the Apple eco-system.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I did pre-order an iPhone 5. I was just afraid that if I didn't pre-order they would be sold out, and I would have to wait long to get one (now I have an iPhone 3GS, which is getting behind the curve). However, due to problems with AT&T server, I have until Saturday to complete my order, so I'm still thinking. Thanks for all the comments. I guess it also comes down to laziness. It's not only the money but also the time needed to change eco-systems. I may wait until my next upgrade in two years and see how things develop with Windows 8. Fortunately, my biggest eco-system investment is in Kindle books. I have consciously avoided buying any iBooks not to be even further tied down in the Apple eco-system.

I'm in the same boat. I've strayed from iOS (android and WP) only to go back. The financial side of it is part of the reason, the other one is that, well, I'm a suckficial (superficial sucker) that didn't like the fact that his Lumia 900 didn't have a GD stupid piece of fruit on it.

WP is actually the better OS (Live Tiles vs Static Grid of Icons, I mean honesly, no comparison), the apps (most of which I can get in WP) are one of the reason. Particularly Square Up, I use it quite a bit for my business. I can use both phones there to run transactions, not a problem.

I'm giving the 920's a serious look because I can't justify enough of a change in the 5 to upgrade from my 4S. Plus, I'm really can't stand that EVERY person EVERY place I go HAS THE SAME phone. Plus the fanboys (which I'm definitely not! Ok, maybe a little WP, but just a little!) make me GD nuts.

I mean honestly, the new phone only has a couple of incremental improvements, is a little thinner and has .5" more on the screen. BFD right? And yet, its the greatest phone ever.

Wow, you'd never no I was on the fence talking like that!

Maybe this will help, I wrote this when the 900 came out. May help you make up your mind!
INTEGRATE Fitness 411: iPhone Convert on the Nokia Lumia 900: Not an iPhone Killer, but Definitely a Killer Phone

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
All your iTunes stuff will port straight into Zune, and whatever it's gonna be replaced with. You'll lose nothing media wise, and you'll get to watch those movies on a larger, sharper and higher frame rate screen.

diod123

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
All your iTunes stuff will port straight into Zune, and whatever it's gonna be replaced with. You'll lose nothing media wise, and you'll get to watch those movies on a larger, sharper and higher frame rate screen.
yes, once you buy something on itunes you own the rights to it. The files should be usable on W8 and WP8, so no worries there. Zune is great for music and movies.

milk242

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is tempting because of the 4" screen. I hate how manufacturers are going larger and larger and leaving their middle tier phones to a smaller screen. I want a 4" screen with high PPI (no pentile) and all the same features as the 920. I can't be the only one that wants a 4" screen on a phone???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb