wireless charging - extra cost?

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
nokia keeps talking about the wireless charging, while it's great, I think they should include at least 1 wireless charging accessory in the box - what's the point of promoting something when you need to pay extra to use it? I know bars etc will have some wireless charging spots but that's not going to come soon as there aren't many phones out there capable of doing it

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The capability is built-into the phone, but the charging "pads" are (most likely) going to be add-on accessories. It's possible that some carriers may offer it as part of a bundle, but I wouldn't take any bets on that. That said, I do agree... I think it would be great if one of the standard charging pads is included.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The fact that they showcased the Lumia 920 to have wireless charging would lead me to believe that at least the wireless charging pad will come as standard. If not why bother advertising so heavily about how Nokia wants to lead the charge in wireless charging?

I do wish they will have the stand as standard. One can't have everything. Still...

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The fact that they showcased the Lumia 920 to have wireless charging would lead me to believe that at least the wireless charging pad will come as standard. If not why bother advertising so heavily about how Nokia wants to lead the charge in wireless charging?

I do wish they will have the stand as standard. One can't have everything. Still...

exactly! but I don't see it in the box contents on their site :(

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It sounded to me like the 920 would come with a wireless charging pad, while the 820 would have an optional backing and pad that could be purchased separately.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It sounded to me like the 920 would come with a wireless charging pad, while the 820 would have an optional backing and pad that could be purchased separately.

I really hope so as that would be great, I checked the box contents on the Nokia site and it didn't list it, so I then was left to hope that carriers might do a deal on launch day as I cant see me dropping extra cash on one.
Having said that, I was browsing ebay to check on QI chargers

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh come now. Heck, why don't they thrown in that nifty NFC/wireless speaker while they are at it. Sorry for the sarcasm, but Nokia is fighting a war here. Price point is critical. I think most of us who got the L900 on AT&T enjoyed the $99 price tag. The phone should sell itself based on merit, not free stuff.

Maybe a coupon for 25% off on a wireless accessory (to sell items closer to cost) but not in the box. You are still getting a wall charger after all. But hey, I guess you could still dream.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
They could do what they did with Lumia 800 here in the states and offer it with a pair of headphones or a wireless charger. Of course no one bought this bundled L800 since it was quite pricey (also buying unlocked is unpopular in the states).

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is $200, then it should include it because it will need something extra if it I'd going tosell fit the same price as the galaxy s 3 and iPhone 5, since windows phone is not as popular. If they compete on price like the 900 did and sell at $99 then there is no way a wireless charger will be included, and that is fine.

That said, if they are going to hype the feature, it should come in box. Not including it would be like htc hyping up the built in beats audio technology then saying, "oh ya, to use this heavily advertised feature, you have to lay down another $100. So basically, if they aren't going to include it in box, they shouldn't feature it heavily in commercials or you will end up with a bunch of angry idiots who didn't read the fine print, which just isn't what Nokia or windows phone needs.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Or you can buy the phone, and then the wireless charging pad, and pretend that you bought them in the same box. You'd probably be paying the same price than if it actually came in the same box.

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
That said, if they are going to hype the feature, it should come in box. Not including it would be like htc hyping up the built in beats audio technology then saying, "oh ya, to use this heavily advertised feature, you have to lay down another $100. So basically, if they aren't going to include it in box, they shouldn't feature it heavily in commercials or you will end up with a bunch of angry idiots who didn't read the fine print, which just isn't what Nokia or windows phone needs.

my thinking exactly

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A quick look around the web shows any QI charger should work with the new Nokia phones, and both amazon and ebay have brand name pads for <?20.

Just as an example...

Linky

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe this paragraph at WMPoweruser answers the question:
Seeking to tilt the playing field a bit more in their direction and away from the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S III, Nokia is offering to give any Yahooligan who chose a Nokia Lumia 920 a free wireless charging plate.
Here is the entire article.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
sorry mate, but a phone coming out with wireless charging enabled which is being pushed and advertised heavily is different to something that's not really yet available - or comes out months after the launch

Samsung Galaxy S3 to get wireless charging dock in September? | News | TechRadar

So if Nokia said sorry, not available yet, it'd be okay for them not to include it?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how Nokia can compete on price AND include a wireless charger. They're just not going to make any money.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs