Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1.    #1  
    Can someone with experience / memory of past "exclusive" hardware roll-outs hazard a guess as to when we might be able to buy an unlocked 920 in the US? Does history tell us what 3G / 4G frequencies it might support?

I'm currently on TMO/3G, and took a quick look at ATT's data plans - ridiculous.

I suspect that if I buy an unlocked 920, I'll be stuck on EDGE until TMO gets AWS rolled out. Does that sound about right?

And this'll would my first "factory unlocked" purchase - most of the stores I've heard about indirectly are UK based - are there US based stores that are equivalent in terms of stock / reputation?

Thanks much!

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Screaming Bagel View Post
    Can someone with experience / memory of past "exclusive" hardware roll-outs hazard a guess as to when we might be able to buy an unlocked 920 in the US? Does history tell us what 3G / 4G frequencies it might support?

I'm currently on TMO/3G, and took a quick look at ATT's data plans - ridiculous.

I suspect that if I buy an unlocked 920, I'll be stuck on EDGE until TMO gets AWS rolled out. Does that sound about right?

And this'll would my first "factory unlocked" purchase - most of the stores I've heard about indirectly are UK based - are there US based stores that are equivalent in terms of stock / reputation?

Thanks much!
    Yeah ATT's plans are outrageous rip-offs.

T-Mobile should have their network refarming done by early 2013 in major cities. Until then, yes EDGE. (there are a few threads about this already like this one).

I'm curious as well about unlocked device availability. I'm not buying subsidized devices anymore, it really is a scam.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Yeah ATT's plans are outrageous rip-offs.

T-Mobile should have their network refarming done by early 2013 in major cities. Until then, yes EDGE. (there are a few threads about this already like this one).

I'm curious as well about unlocked device availability. I'm not buying subsidized devices anymore, it really is a scam.
    Thanks, VP.

I read through the thread you pointed me to. Good stuff. It sounds like 4G is important to you, but I wonder if I could just get along on Straight Talk's 3G if I'm not too worried about using lots of data.

It looks like I wouldn't get LTE off of AT&T's network with a Straight Talk AT&T/TMO SIM, but reading between the lines I think I would get 3G - which is good enough for me.

Whaddya think?

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Well, actually, tethering is important to me and it's not supported on Straight Talk whereas 4G is, especially if you bring an ATT device. Not sure about LTE though.

Still, 4G is a speedy technology: it's 6X faster than 3G when LTE is "only" 2X faster than 4G, or 12X faster than 3G.

I think if tethering isn't something you need, you will most probably be happy on Straight Talk.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,300 Global Posts
    I'm so tired of paying AT&Ts outrageous pricing that I'm finally willing to live with Edge until their network is refarmed. Sadly, I can't leave because there are no unlock codes for the 900. I was tempted to try Straight Talk but I don't want to give up my current number and the instability with MMS would be annoying because I use MMS all the time.