completely confused between Lumia 920 and HTC 8X

AnIrudha

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know where to post, so i posted it here. I ll list down the specs, so it could help me.

1st spec - 920 and 8X has 4.5" and 4.3" screen resp.
Though 8X has the highest PPI (341) and Lumia has 332, which 9 short of 8X's. Now with the Metro UI and not so big difference between the PPIs, hands-on which will look better, or will there be any noticeable difference.

2nd Spec - Camera
This one Nokia takes away.

3rd Spec - Form Factor
I have used Lumia 900 and 800, and absolutely loved the body. 920 has the same form factor. But, recent hands-on have suggested that HTC has a good one too.

4th Spec - Screen Quality
Ok, I think Nokia had shown something about the screen being pretty good in direct sunlight, which is a must for me. It has the so-called fastest responsive screen. Sensitivity is highest, though it doesn't matter that much to me.

5th Spec - Amplifier
Here, where it gets confusing. 920 has no special amplifier, but 8X does. Not a big fan of Dr. DRE but, a special amplifier as well as software enhancements, does look great. And I am music fan, so, pretty confused here.

6th Spec - Wireless charging
This is pretty much the deal breaker for me. But I am still confused, Wireless charging, can't be without it.

Also, to mention Nokia has a special acquaintance with MSFT, and there might be a lot of exclusivity for Lumia 920.
But, as I stated, being a music fan, HTC is making me think twice.
Though, camera doesn't matter that to me, Pureview does look better. And taking some average shots sometimes, I better take awesome shots sometimes.

I was completely bent towards Lumia, but with Beats Amp on HTC 8X, I am a bit confused. If someone could get some hands-on to see how good does the sound really get as compared to Lumia 920, it would be really helpful.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I would guess that if you're just listening to audio straight from phone speakers or a wired headset, the HTC would be better.

If you're listening through a 3rd party NFC or Bluetooth speaker, there would be no difference.

chfhyh

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
The N8 had better 3.5mm audio output than iPhone 4. Lumia 920 will not disappoint. There should not be much difference.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm all in for the 920 and here are a few reasons why:

I'm not exactly sure how the scaling will work on these new WP8 devices and legacy apps. All of the legacy apps were obviously written for a 800x480 screen, and MS has stated that they will all run on WP8 (and I have a fair amount of money invested in them, with little hope that any of them will be updated). Presumably that just means that the OS will upscale the resolution to make them fullscreen. In that respect, I think the Nokia display resolution is actually superior since it increases 800x480 by a factor of 1.6 in both the x and y axis so the scaling should be equal for legacy apps.

The 16GB on the HTC is actually a big dealbreaker to me. I have had 16GB devices for a while now and it's frankly not enough. Yes, there's cloud streaming, and there may or may not be a music locker service unveiled by MS, but there's no substitute for local storage. It's faster, it's not dependent on having a data connection, and it's friendlier to the battery (no streaming data required).

ClearBlack is another huge plus in favor of the 920. I love being able to read my phone in the sun, and I anticipate that an IPS display should be even better than the SAMOLED on the 900.

I'll reserve judgment on the cameras until I use them. In all honesty I never use smartphone cameras because the image quality and performance is so poor-- I'm a tough critic, I guess I'm just too used to my Olympus OM-D.

In terms of audio quality, I'm also a snob in that I think there should be a line-out option so you can let your fancy receiver do the processing-- that's why it costs hundreds of dollars on its own. Anything short of that is, IMO, bound to disappoint. For me obviously, the beats audio is sort of a gimmick and not worth extra consideration.

Where the 8X shines is in aesthetics-- it's smaller, lighter, and more unique colors. If I could have the Lumia 920 internals and specs in the shell of the 8X, I would be a happy camper. As it is, I'm willing to compromise those things for what I consider to be pretty significant feature advantages.

-R

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Beats Audio is more about marketing than sound quality. The only thing OEM's really need to consider when building a Beats Audio certifiable device is the discrete headphone audio amplifier (making it louder when paired with passive speakers). With that single exception, every single OEM including Nokia could easily get their devices Beats Audio certified, given the willingness to pay the annual licensing fee.

Here is one explanation of what Beats Audio actually is, that goes into a bit more detail.

Beyond being able to turn the volume up a tad louder using only passive speakers (i.e. those without a built in amplifier), Beats Audio's success can be largely attributed to the celebrities name to which it is attached. Whether or not Beats Audio actually sounds better, depends largely on personal preference and what kind of music you listen to.

My recommendation is this:

If you often listen to music straight from the phone or use passive speakers, and you equate bass-overemphasized, louder music with better music, then Beats Audio is good (although it will also drain your phone's battery faster). If you use active speakers (like these), then Beats Audio is at best irrelevant, and using the audio profile often worse.

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Beats Audio is more about marketing than sound quality. The only thing OEM's really need to consider when building a Beats Audio certifiable device is the discrete headphone audio amplifier (making it louder when paired with passive speakers). With that single exception, every single OEM including Nokia could easily get their devices Beats Audio certified, given the willingness to pay the annual licensing fee.

Here is one explanation of what Beats Audio actually is, that goes into a bit more detail.

Beyond being able to turn up the volume a tad louder using only passive speakers (i.e. those without a built in amplifier), the main reason Beats Audio is successful is because it's got a celebrity name attached to it. Whether or not Beats Audio actually sounds better, depends largely on personal preference and what kind of music you listen to.

My recommendation is this:

If you often listen to music straight from the phone or use passive speakers, and you equate louder music with better music, then Beats Audio is good (although it will also drain your phone's battery faster). If you use active speakers (like these), then Beats Audio is at best irrelevant, and using the audio profile often worse.

By the way guys, if your headphones are crappy and/or your music is of low quality, Beats won't make it better. Garbage in, garbage out.

Oh, and also I don't think the Beats are very good headphones. Overpriced IMO.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide as well but i see alot of people are completely writing the 8X off however i actually think in my circumstance the 8X has more going for it than the 920.

Nokia Lumia 920 "Pro's":

Wireless Charging: Most people count this as a pro and yes it does look cool but honestly you have to pay more for wireless accessories and it takes longer to charge and also you can't use your phone whilst charging so to me apart from the cool factor this is not a pro.

"Apparently Better Screen": And i say Apparently because that's what it is so far i have heard alot of marketing talk from Nokia about a PureMotion HD+ display that is ultra sensitive and has 60fps refresh rate etc and yes using the screen whilst wearing gloves could come in handy sometimes as for the 60fps on a display that small will it make much of a difference i doubt it.

PureView Camera: I don't doubt this might be the best camera phone on the market when its released however do you really need the best camera phone? I personally use my phone camera alot infact more than my actual Canon camera however i like i assume most people never use the photos for anything other than viewing on my phone or pc or facebook and too be honest most modern smartphones will give good enough photo's for that and as for using the 920 to replace a dedicated camera i don't think it will come anywhere close to beating most people's stand along camera's therefore again apart from saying your phone has it then what's the point?

Exclusive Apps: This personally to me having owned a Lumia 800 and a few HTC wp's has no bearing on whether i get one or the other because most "exclusive" app's are just different versions of a app already on the market and since i am not app obsessed as most people seem to be now then i don't use many app's anyway preferring to use the internet etc.

Double the Memory of the 8X: No arguing here yes more is better, But for me 16gb is fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTC 8X Pro's (Compared to Lumia 920)

Lighter

Cheaper: (well not yet confirmed here in the uk because we don't know the price of the 920)

Better Sound: Ok so some people hate Beats but 2 dedicated Amps and increased voltage output is better than the Nokia.

Better FFC: a higher resolution wider and faster camera for skype etc.

Notification Light: Built into speaker grill for me this "little" thing is more practical and appreciated than Nokia's wireless charging etc.

Faster Camera: This has yet to be confirmed but from what i have seen so far is the 8X has a much faster camera than the 920 which given that i tend to take photo's of fast moving subjects such as my daughter then i would say i want a faster phone cam than one that give's better overall pic quality because i am sure the 8X will still take better photo's than most phones to buy considering how good the One X takes pics and its basically similar maybe even better.

And from early hands on comparisons some reviewers are saying the HTC 8X screen looks nicer than the 920 and it does have the highest PPI.

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I would say maybe most important point to go for Nokia is the Lumia ecosystem inside Windows Phone. Tons of Nokia's own apps that just keep coming and exclusive apps.

Below some of the Nokia's own Lumia apps.

- Nokia Music (music player, equalizer, mix radio, gig finder)
- Nokia Drive+
- Nokia City Lens
- Nokia Transport
- Nokia Reading
- Nokia Trailers
- Nokia TV
- Nokia Play To (Nokia's DLNA app)
- Nokia Xpress beta
- Nokia Creative Studio
- Nokia Data gathering
- Nokia Lenses apps for WP8 like Smart Shoot and Cinema Graph
etc

Other than that you should handle both phones, if you can wait long enough. ;)

Last edited:

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually leaning toward the HTC for the following reasons:

Camera - the HTC imaging processor makes for an incredibly fast camera, and with an 18 month old son, that speed makes a world of difference in the quality of the shot.

FFC - the FFC on the HTC uses the same aperture as the regular camera and is 1080 HD. As someone who uses Skype a lot, this is great. It also makes for better group shots of my son and I (or my wife and I, or the three of us, etc)

Beats Audio - Yes, I know the branding is a bit of a gimmick, but the 8X has two built in amps for sound: one for the speakers and one for the headphones. For what I do with music on my phone, that's better than just a software amp/EQ combo

Cost - Even if it's just $50 less than the Nokia, as someone who doesn't need 32GB of storage, that $50 can best be used for other things.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like the 8x fits your lifestyle better. It is a good looking phone and I think you will be happy with it. The 920 fits me better so that is what I am getting.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The 920 has Dolby Digital audio and a built-in equalizer. Based on my experience it will be better listening than the Beats-enhanced 8X. And if you really like the bass-heavy Beats sound, you can get it with the EQ, albeit at a lower volume. Personally, my HD7 has sold me completely on never owning another HTC as long as I live.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I am going with the 8x due to cost (going off contract) and the HTC trade up program (getting $175 for the 900).

I think they're both pretty close in most specs, but differ in styles/colors.

I prefer the styling / color selection of the 8x (although the 8s styling is my favorite). I'd rather have the camera, sensitive touch feature of the 920 though.

I'd be more than happy with either.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The 920 has Dolby Digital audio and a built-in equalizer. Based on my experience it will be better listening than the Beats-enhanced 8X. And if you really like the bass-heavy Beats sound, you can get it with the EQ, albeit at a lower volume. Personally, my HD7 has sold me completely on never owning another HTC as long as I live.

Another reason for me to buy Lumia 920. Will the difference in music and audio quality be considerable compared to my Lumia 900 which itself is a such a wonderful device?

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll probably be going for the 8X since it is on Verizon. 8X is good enough for me not to switch to AT&T.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
While probably more of a "rumored or upcoming device" conversation, it is one that is being held up and down the forums. It is the fun part of the new WP releases: Unlike Android, we are waiting and debating on a grand opening, and it is fun to banter about.

There are quite a few 8X fans out there. I have to admit I am surprised. I would have thought the 16 gig memory and the Nokia support system would make this an easy win. But HTC has seemed to hit the right cord with looks and options, not to mention the great performance of HTC's 1st generation of WPs have built up some good will. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I am happy for those excited for the 8X.

But for me, there is no contest. Nokia will get my business with the 920, or possibly the 820 if the price of their premium is too high for me to justify it. Only way I don't is if the performance of the Nokia offerings are sub par.

Hope you spend some time with them both, anirudha. You will have a blast playing around with them both.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
FFC - the FFC on the HTC uses the same aperture as the regular camera and is 1080 HD. As someone who uses Skype a lot, this is great. It also makes for better group shots of my son and I (or my wife and I, or the three of us, etc)

That wide-angle FFC will actually be better for the person you're calling, not for you.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The Beats Audio I have used and it actually works well! (people who are putting it off clearly haven't used it) It works well, i will say it works a little better paired with Beats headphones. And FYI i think beats have fantastic sound for a great price! I'll be honest, the price for the sound quality is a bit much, but do remember you are also paying for the great build quality and fantastic looks.

Im a designer jean kinda guy, so i will pay extra for the looks and build quality of headphones!

The 8X is very thin, imo has a better camera (ill take the speed over the slight if any difference in stability), loud speakers mean alot to me, i prefer the matte plastic that HTC phones are made off. They don't show scratches and don't crack.

That being said, imo the 920 has many things over the 8X too, but i don't think the 8X is getting the fair comparison it deserves.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think many of you are getting confused by what HTC means when they say "faster camera." A lot of you are stating you want a faster camera because you need to take photos of your kids playing, and your kids are fast. That's great, but both cameras will perform the same in that situation.

Both the 8X and the Lumia 920 have at least an 8mp camera (920 is 8.7mp) and the important thing regarding the speed of the camera is they BOTH have an f/2.0 aperture. That means they both let in the same amount of light, which dictates how fast the shutter can actuate. A faster shutter means a "faster camera" in respect to snapping a photo of your subject.

If you are saying you want the 8X because the camera app LOADS faster, well that may be the case. I haven't seen any side by side comparisons between the 920 and the 8X loading their camera apps. But when it comes to actually taking a photo, both phones should perform nearly identical. At that point it comes down to do you want the superior hardware OIS stabilization (920), or will you settle for an industry standard but soon to be sub-par software stabilization (8X)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3