Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By GoodThings2Life
  • 4 Post By VagrantWade
  • 3 Post By SoloXCRacer
  • 1 Post By smoledman
  • 3 Post By Reflexx
  1. manicottiK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    The back of the Lumia 920 is curved so that it's thicker in the middle and thinner at the sides. The phone is also tapered at the top and bottom. The Nokia specs page for the Lumia 920 lists its thickness as 10.7mm*. That * is used to explain that the measurement is of "volume thickness." Does this really mean "average thickness," "maximum thickness," or something else? (The Lumia 900 lists its thickness as 11.5mm without need for a footnote.)

    Early pictures that I saw of both phones made it look like the 920 was thicker than the 900 despite the smaller number quotes on the spec sheet.

    So, what is the thickness of the Lumia 920 at its thickest point?
  2. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post
    The back of the Lumia 920 is curved so that it's thicker in the middle and thinner at the sides. The phone is also tapered at the top and bottom. The Nokia specs page for the Lumia 920 lists its thickness as 10.7mm*. That * is used to explain that the measurement is of "volume thickness." Does this really mean "average thickness," "maximum thickness," or something else? (The Lumia 900 lists its thickness as 11.5mm without need for a footnote.)

    Early pictures that I saw of both phones made it look like the 920 was thicker than the 900 despite the smaller number quotes on the spec sheet.

    So, what is the thickness of the Lumia 920 at its thickest point?
    .03 inches thicker than the HTC 8X.
  3. manicottiK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    .03 inches thicker than the HTC 8X.
    Only if you assume that "volume thickness" is the maximum thickest vs being the average thickness. Do you know that to be the case or are you just hoping it?

    That said, I re-found the picture that first made me worry, along with the thread here that speculated that the maximum thickness might be greater than "volume thickness." I also found a Gizmodo story that shows the 900 and 920 on edge (see the picture after the first video). This picture appears to confirm that the 920's bottom isn't tapered and that it's maximum thickness is slightly less than that of the 900.

    I think that the case is closed. The 920 is a tiny bith thinner than the 900, although it has gained some weight. Still, I wonder why Nokia introduced new language to the dimensions of the new phones...
  4. GoodThings2Life's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    We're talking fractions of millimeters. Looks thicker in images than in reality, I'm betting.
    ramrac likes this.
  5. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post
    Only if you assume that "volume thickness" is the maximum thickest vs being the average thickness. Do you know that to be the case or are you just hoping it?

    That said, I re-found the picture that first made me worry, along with the thread here that speculated that the maximum thickness might be greater than "volume thickness." I also found a Gizmodo story that shows the 900 and 920 on edge (see the picture after the first video). This picture appears to confirm that the 920's bottom isn't tapered and that it's maximum thickness is slightly less than that of the 900.

    I think that the case is closed. The 920 is a tiny bith thinner than the 900, although it has gained some weight. Still, I wonder why Nokia introduced new language to the dimensions of the new phones...
    They probably found out how girly some of phone people are out there when it comes to phone size. Most likely from this forum.
  6. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,105 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post
    The back of the Lumia 920 is curved so that it's thicker in the middle and thinner at the sides. The phone is also tapered at the top and bottom. The Nokia specs page for the Lumia 920 lists its thickness as 10.7mm*. That * is used to explain that the measurement is of "volume thickness." Does this really mean "average thickness," "maximum thickness," or something else? (The Lumia 900 lists its thickness as 11.5mm without need for a footnote.)
    The daddy of Nokia's poly unibodies, N9 informed the thickness to be 7.6-12.1mm on the Nokia specs. On Lumia 800 they just went for 12.1mm.

    That 12.1mm on Lumia800/n9 should be measured on the very middle of the device as the curved glass and back protrudes the most there.

    Because how sculpted the phones are it's so hard to go comparing when we are talking about 1mm there and so on.
  7. WayCool's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Volume thickness HAS to be less than the actual maximum thickness...

    Unless the phone is exactly rectangular... which is not really possible given the rounded edges etc..

    My guess is that if you measured in the center of the device it woudl be closer to 12mm.. but that is just a guess..

    So for example if you took the 900 it would be 99cm cubed volume thickness without knowing the actual thickness.. but the actual volume is 90 cm cubed... if you did the same thing (volume thickness) for the 900 it would have a thickness of 11.12 mm which we know it is not .. actual thickness is 11.5mm

    To play it further... if we assume the same ratio of difference betweeh max thickness and volume thickness .. the 920 max thickness should be around 11.1mm at max.. basically the same as the 920.

    Anyway.. its a play on calculations to clearly list the 920 as being thinner than it actually is..

    The real question is.. is it too thick and heavy for your personal tastes...
    Last edited by waycoolkennel; 09-24-2012 at 04:58 PM.
  8. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Okay, I'm going to compare the 920 to the 900. Fits in my pocket just fine...jeans, dress pants, khakis, and even suits. It fits just fine. Fits in my hand just fine. I can use it with one hand just fine. The weight different between the two is a measly 25 grams.

    For those of you obsessed with the "monstrous" weight difference, there's something to chew on:

    * 25 grams is not even 1 ounce.

    Less than 1 once will not pull my pants down. Less than one ounce will not tire my hands or arms when I'm talking on my phone. Less than on ounce will not make a damned difference. There are approximately 454 grams in a pound.

    So the question was if it was too thick or heavy for *my* taste?? No. Quite frankly, I think people get too caught up on numbers and specs. And in reality, it will not affect them at the least. It's all in your head.
    theefman, Xsever and ramrac like this.
  9. WayCool's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloXCRacer View Post
    Okay, I'm going to compare the 920 to the 900. Fits in my pocket just fine...jeans, dress pants, khakis, and even suits. It fits just fine. Fits in my hand just fine. I can use it with one hand just fine. The weight different between the two is a measly 25 grams.

    For those of you obsessed with the "monstrous" weight difference, there's something to chew on:

    * 25 grams is not even 1 ounce.

    Less than 1 once will not pull my pants down. Less than one ounce will not tire my hands or arms when I'm talking on my phone. Less than on ounce will not make a damned difference. There are approximately 454 grams in a pound.

    So the question was if it was too thick or heavy for *my* taste?? No. Quite frankly, I think people get too caught up on numbers and specs. And in reality, it will not affect them at the least. It's all in your head.
    SoloX ... Agreed ! I think if the 900 is suitable ... then the 920 is as well... Just my .02 :)

    It would not surprise me if the design goal for the 920 was to pack all those addtional features (wireless charging, Pureview) without increase size or weight by a specified percentage..

    IMO its worth the size and weight..
  10. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloXCRacer View Post
    Okay, I'm going to compare the 920 to the 900. Fits in my pocket just fine...jeans, dress pants, khakis, and even suits. It fits just fine. Fits in my hand just fine. I can use it with one hand just fine. The weight different between the two is a measly 25 grams.

    For those of you obsessed with the "monstrous" weight difference, there's something to chew on:

    * 25 grams is not even 1 ounce.

    Less than 1 once will not pull my pants down. Less than one ounce will not tire my hands or arms when I'm talking on my phone. Less than on ounce will not make a damned difference. There are approximately 454 grams in a pound.

    So the question was if it was too thick or heavy for *my* taste?? No. Quite frankly, I think people get too caught up on numbers and specs. And in reality, it will not affect them at the least. It's all in your head.
    If anyone wants an idea of how heavy 25 grams is, that's 10 pennies or 5 nickels.
  11. smoledman's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,303 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,425 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    If anyone wants an idea of how heavy 25 grams is, that's 10 pennies or 5 nickels.
    But that weight is distributed evenly over the entire area of a smartphone, not bunched up like coins.
    ramrac likes this.
  12. alpinestars1z's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,457 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    But that weight is distributed evenly over the entire area of a smartphone, not bunched up like coins.
    Well yeah, but I was just giving people an idea of how much 25 grams is.

    And actually, weight isn't always evenly distributed across a smartphone, but it surely isn't all bunched up like coins. What I did was put the coins on the screen (spread out of course) of the my Lumia 900, then picked it up. It didn't feel like it weighed as much as the DVP, but close. You could definitely tell it was heavier than the 900 (well obviously, I put the coins there). I guess if you wanted to know how it'd feel in your pocket, I guess you could tape the coins onto the phone?
  13. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,895 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,896 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Comparison pics with the 920 shell vs the 900. Looks reasonable to me.

    Photos: Nokia Lumia 920 yellow shell vs. Nokia Lumia 900 white
  14. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    It's no wonder quarters were invented. Carrying around 5 nickels probably gave people hip problems.
    alpinestars1z, ramrac and sinime like this.
  15. sinime's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,214 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,650 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    But quarters are soooo heavy too! We should do away with change all together!

    In an effort to lighten our pockets, please send all of your change to me for "disposal."

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Posting Permissions

";