iPhone 5 vs Lumia 920 camera test: OIS FTW

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
i swear, if it weren't for the hundreds of posts at engadget and your post here, i would have said the iphone looked better. And I f'in hate apple. Infact, I'm here because I'm looking to make the Win8 Phone jump from my current android, and been flip flopping between the 920, Ativ, 8X... and to me, this test did nothing for me. At best, it was negligible, at worst, I though the 920 was the loser. Now the test itself has a ton of flaws to the point I wouldn't be too swayed regardless...but i have to admit i was expecting something more noticeable. All of a sudden, the 820 isn't look that bad to me.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
gfiz, I'm curious as to why you think the iPhone was better?

To my eye (granted, its my eye vs. yours) - the iPhone video was blockier, blurrier, more muted, and much shakier than the L920. The 920 seemed much more vibrant, clearer, and crisper of a video, not to mention that it was much steadier than the iPhone, especially when she ran with the little holder.

I think the holder they place it in, actually makes the video (for both) worse since there doesn't appear to be a convenient way to hold the phones in a natural way. Which kind of defeats the purpose of this particular 'real world' test. Though, I definitely see the advantages of the OIS at work compared to the new iPhone.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. The Lumia is better in every way no matter how you slice it.

And at jaxstate, you really are so biased against Nokia that you can't recognize the significant improvements in their camera versus, well frankly, every other phone?

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
well I've watched this atleats a dozen times to try to figure out what my problem is, and first thing i realized is the iphone is zoomed in more than the 920. There are certain instances, like when the other camera guy comes up along the side 1:38 where I can clearly see the nokia is a crisper picture, but again, the guy seems like he's half the distance away in the iphone. But there are other times, and I guess what I was more focused on was the stability, and it seemed like the 920 we much shakier. Which like I initially said, probably means nothing since the test is pretty flawed. But the OIS was one of the main reasons I was interested in this phone, and frankly this didn't sell it for me. I've been looking more and more at the 820 now tbh, and then not feel as bad if i end up upgrading again in 6-12 months.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
well I've watched this atleats a dozen times to try to figure out what my problem is, and first thing i realized is the iphone is zoomed in more...

No, it's NOT zoomed. They discuss this in the article. The lens width isn't as good on the iPhone so it's not capturing as much. It's literally like putting blinders on a horse... it can has a smaller field of vision.

The Lumia has a much wider lense, so it captures more for a wider field of vision much more like real life.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The mechanical OIS is awesome the fact they squeezed it into a camera phone is more awesome and I am glad to see this sort of innovation (which to me is more innovative then the the lightning cable or whatever the heck they call it now)

Has anyone read the comments on Engadget...I find them hilarious from the iPhone crowd...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It was hard to watch at first because one side distracts from the other.

I then tried covering one side at a time so I could focus on just one camera and that is when the Lumia's superior camera really was evident.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I like how they're accusing it of being biased because Engadget did the test in Finland. Clearly, it's all a scam, lol.

I enjoyed the person who posted 70 times the same still shot whining about contrast and the bumper shadows not fully showing on the Lumia in a video because when i am watching video I am totally looking for things to freeze frame and stare at and complain about or the other guy who won't stop posting his YouTube video of his iPhone 5 video saying "Look its not shakey" while holding the camera in the same spot the whole video and waving his hand in front of it....and posted that 100 times. I stopped after about the 9th page of the drivel.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I like how they're accusing it of being biased because Engadget did the test in Finland. Clearly, it's all a scam, lol.

I saw that post I don't know what stuff that guy was on. He claimed the whole thing was faked purely based on the fact it was filmed in Finland...well I couldn't argue with that logic...

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Logic like that isn't logic at all, and there's no point in reducing yourself to that level. You could film it in Cupertino, it would still win, and they'd call it voodoo or cheating or something else, lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo