Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

iPhone 5 and Nokia Lumia 920 face off with image stabilization test (hands-on video) -- Engadget

Not only does the Lumia deal VASTLY better with the bounce caused by the person walking, but it has a sharper image with better colors.
    Loyal first and foremost to a carrier (US Cellular). Open to either a Lumia 820, or an HTC 8X, or an Ativ S.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    iPhone 5 and Nokia Lumia 920 face off with image stabilization test (hands-on video) -- Engadget

Not only does the Lumia deal VASTLY better with the bounce caused by the person walking, but it has a sharper image with better colors.
    Definitely better contrast, sharpness and stabilization... Nokia - TAKE MY MONEY!!!! :-]

i swear, if it weren't for the hundreds of posts at engadget and your post here, i would have said the iphone looked better. And I f'in hate apple. Infact, I'm here because I'm looking to make the Win8 Phone jump from my current android, and been flip flopping between the 920, Ativ, 8X... and to me, this test did nothing for me. At best, it was negligible, at worst, I though the 920 was the loser. Now the test itself has a ton of flaws to the point I wouldn't be too swayed regardless...but i have to admit i was expecting something more noticeable. All of a sudden, the 820 isn't look that bad to me.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    One is shakey and they other is less shakey. I'm not WOWd be either.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

gfiz, I'm curious as to why you think the iPhone was better?

To my eye (granted, its my eye vs. yours) - the iPhone video was blockier, blurrier, more muted, and much shakier than the L920. The 920 seemed much more vibrant, clearer, and crisper of a video, not to mention that it was much steadier than the iPhone, especially when she ran with the little holder.

I think the holder they place it in, actually makes the video (for both) worse since there doesn't appear to be a convenient way to hold the phones in a natural way. Which kind of defeats the purpose of this particular 'real world' test. Though, I definitely see the advantages of the OIS at work compared to the new iPhone.
    Exactly. The Lumia is better in every way no matter how you slice it.

And at jaxstate, you really are so biased against Nokia that you can't recognize the significant improvements in their camera versus, well frankly, every other phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post

I think the most impressive shots are when the Lumia is fairly still, because then it looks like it's on a tripod.
    Well, sure... and most people are going to hold it with both hands, but that's great too... should be much better pics regardless of scenario.

well I've watched this atleats a dozen times to try to figure out what my problem is, and first thing i realized is the iphone is zoomed in more than the 920. There are certain instances, like when the other camera guy comes up along the side 1:38 where I can clearly see the nokia is a crisper picture, but again, the guy seems like he's half the distance away in the iphone. But there are other times, and I guess what I was more focused on was the stability, and it seemed like the 920 we much shakier. Which like I initially said, probably means nothing since the test is pretty flawed. But the OIS was one of the main reasons I was interested in this phone, and frankly this didn't sell it for me. I've been looking more and more at the 820 now tbh, and then not feel as bad if i end up upgrading again in 6-12 months.
    Last edited by gfiz; 09-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfiz View Post
    well I've watched this atleats a dozen times to try to figure out what my problem is, and first thing i realized is the iphone is zoomed in more than the 920.
    You could have a good point there.
    well I've watched this atleats a dozen times to try to figure out what my problem is, and first thing i realized is the iphone is zoomed in more...
    No, it's NOT zoomed. They discuss this in the article. The lens width isn't as good on the iPhone so it's not capturing as much. It's literally like putting blinders on a horse... it can has a smaller field of vision.

The Lumia has a much wider lense, so it captures more for a wider field of vision much more like real life.
    Thanked by:
    theefman likes this.

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    The mechanical OIS is awesome the fact they squeezed it into a camera phone is more awesome and I am glad to see this sort of innovation (which to me is more innovative then the the lightning cable or whatever the heck they call it now)

Has anyone read the comments on Engadget...I find them hilarious from the iPhone crowd...

It was hard to watch at first because one side distracts from the other.

I then tried covering one side at a time so I could focus on just one camera and that is when the Lumia's superior camera really was evident.
    Yeah, I like how they're accusing it of being biased because Engadget did the test in Finland. Clearly, it's all a scam, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
    Yeah, I like how they're accusing it of being biased because Engadget did the test in Finland. Clearly, it's all a scam, lol.
    LoL. Clearly.

We all know about Engadget's long history of WP love. ;-)

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I enjoyed the person who posted 70 times the same still shot whining about contrast and the bumper shadows not fully showing on the Lumia in a video because when i am watching video I am totally looking for things to freeze frame and stare at and complain about or the other guy who won't stop posting his YouTube video of his iPhone 5 video saying "Look its not shakey" while holding the camera in the same spot the whole video and waving his hand in front of it....and posted that 100 times. I stopped after about the 9th page of the drivel.
    Yeah, some of them are so deluded. Sheeple.
    Big Supes likes this.

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I saw that post I don't know what stuff that guy was on. He claimed the whole thing was faked purely based on the fact it was filmed in Finland...well I couldn't argue with that logic...
    Logic like that isn't logic at all, and there's no point in reducing yourself to that level. You could film it in Cupertino, it would still win, and they'd call it voodoo or cheating or something else, lol.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    Video updated with HTC One X and SG SIII. Not even remotely close to being a fair fight. ;)

iPhone 5 and Nokia Lumia 920 face off with image stabilization test (hands-on video, updated with Galaxy S III and HTC One X) -- Engadget
    Wow, the One X made me want to hurl.

ok now looking at the HTC and S3 comparisons, it seems completely obvious how much better the 920 in the videos with clarity and stabilization. The HTC has the same "lens width" as the iphone then, because the "zoom" was similar. The S3 was identical to the 920 in terms of proportion. I'm assuming the Ativ S is going to pretty much be the same as the S3, in which case the 920 has just pole vaulted back up, since my main motivation in this phone choice all around is going to be getting good pictures and videos of my 2 year old twins.

ok now looking at the HTC and S3 comparisons, it seems completely obvious how much better the 920 in the videos with clarity and stabilization. The HTC has the same "lens width" as the iphone then, because the "zoom" was similar. The S3 was identical to the 920 in terms of proportion. I'm assuming the Ativ S is going to pretty much be the same as the S3, in which case the 920 has just pole vaulted back up, since my main motivation in this phone choice all around is going to be getting good pictures and videos of my 2 year old twins.
    First awesome and congrats! I've got ONE two year-old and chasing after her with the Focus is hard enough, can't imagine 2-2's ;)

For that it seems the 920 is right up your alley!

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    well I've watched this atleats a dozen times to try to figure out what my problem is, and first thing i realized is the iphone is zoomed in more than the 920. There are certain instances, like when the other camera guy comes up along the side 1:38 where I can clearly see the nokia is a crisper picture, but again, the guy seems like he's half the distance away in the iphone. But there are other times, and I guess what I was more focused on was the stability, and it seemed like the 920 we much shakier. Which like I initially said, probably means nothing since the test is pretty flawed. But the OIS was one of the main reasons I was interested in this phone, and frankly this didn't sell it for me. I've been looking more and more at the 820 now tbh, and then not feel as bad if i end up upgrading again in 6-12 months.
    In the comments some people said that digital image stabilization would make the iPhone appear more zoomed in. The way digital image stabilization works is it crops the edges of the video, then moves the images around (the cropped out border acting as a buffer) so that the video appears stable.

And actually, the Lumia 920 has a wide angle lens, so it's actually more like the Lumia is zoomed out compared to the iPhone 5.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

interesting, the update video with gs3 and onex made a much much bigger impression than the iphone one did, i think they should redo that one in the same setting as the updated video to see how they fair, the original was a bit difficult to tell the difference (may be they deliberately shake it a little too much to the point that the OIS couldn't make the difference as obvious as if it were under normal use)

solidifying the will to buy 920 :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast