where to buy a lumia 920 unlocked.

f1camaro

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Well i know it is not offical but rumour is that Rogers is going to be the exclusive carrier for the lumia 920 in canada and i have no plan to leave my carrier because rogers service is very poor in my area so my question is where do you buy a unlocked/unbranded nokia phone?I know you can get them on ebay but those are usually unlocked AT&T phones but i would like a unbranded lumia 920.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
yeah it's exclusive to rogers (like the 900) since telus and bell confirmed they won't be carrying it. buying off contract is going to most likely set you back a huge number of loonies. Rogers in my area is still on EDGE lol

I was disapointed BUT I actually think I like the HTC X8 better myself

f1camaro

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it sucks that nokia has such a great phone and sales will be hindered by not being more available to all the major carriers.I will probably end up getting a samsung windows phone,i am pretty sure bell will get the samsung.I like the 8x but i said if i get another phone under contract it had to have a bigger screen and atleast 32 gb of storage,i have a focus now with a 32gb card.The samsung is the best fit for me but the design of the nokia is just so great its too bad they couldn't get more carrier support because i really think they have a hit on their hands but it will probably sell no better than the 900 did because like me alot of people won't leave their current carrier.Rogers really have a bad reputation here in new brunswick and just from what i have read on these forums AT&T isn't much better.Its ashame really but i am sure nokia must have tried to get more carriers onboard but then again i don't know the politics involved in getting carriers for phones but anyways if the 920 lives up to what nokia claims it will be a great device and it looks great.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Rogers will give you an unlock code in-store for $50. Make enough noise and they may even unlock it for you if you already have a micro SIM for it. (the phone will prompt you for the unlock code once you put in a different carrier SIM) It's what I'm planning to do at launch. :) As far as carrier branding goes, my current HD7 doesn't have a Bell splash screen, the 900 I played with at Rogers didn't have a Rogers splash screen, and same with the 800 I checked out at TELUS. As far as the carrier apps, they are all easily uninstalled, so a Canadian device, once unlocked, as almost as good as unbranded, and a LOT cheaper.

f1camaro

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Thats something i will have to look at.I just hope i can be patient.lol.Because in canada when you sign a contract it is for 3 years and if i am going the contract route i need to be very sure about what phone i want.And seeing that i pay a cell phone bill every month anyways i should get the subsidized phone price.Hard to decide until i get to hold the phones in my hand and see them in person.Thats the problem with wanting a smartphone,even if you do pick the one you like the best 3-6 months down the road another phone will come out that i will want more.lol.Wish i liked android,i would get a samsung note 2 no question about it but i love windows phone and have no plans on ever switching.

q8buckeye

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You can try outlets in the middle east - specifically in the Arabian Gulf region (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, etc..) - Phones are factory unlocked and are pentaband. I personally have a friend in Kuwait who's gonna ship me a White L920 to the US. Some websites like Axiom Telecom - Maximum Communication might ship internationally. Give them a try!

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You can try outlets in the middle east - specifically in the Arabian Gulf region (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, etc..) - Phones are factory unlocked and are pentaband. I personally have a friend in Kuwait who's gonna ship me a White L920 to the US. Some websites like Axiom Telecom - Maximum Communication might ship internationally. Give them a try!

No way I'm paying AED 2499 for a 920.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I can get it for Cad 621 after tax from Rogers.

Unlocked though? I know it means nothing if you're with Rogers but for non-Rogers people it matters. That site will also have other colours on Dec 2nd.

I've seen other sites selling them for $1000 after tax/shipping.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll believe *any* RM_821 device (basically all 920's outside the US and Canada) has pentaband UMTS only when I've seen confirmed reports of it working on T-Mobile in a non-refarmed area in the US, or on WIND in Canada.

In particular I don't trust the specs on Nokia's web site.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
But you also have to take shipping into account. After shipping it would probably cost around $710-20ish, I would guess. But it still is the cheapest around!

soxoh4

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Can a non Rogers customer buy from Rogers? would they sell it to me? I could unlock it with a code online after but I can't imagine they'd sell me one off contract?

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I recall another member saying that Rogers wouldn't sell him one since he's in the States, but I'm not exactly sure. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask.

I would email or call them, but since they only carry the black 920 I'd rather buy from somewhere else.

Edit: Oh, I thought you were asking if you were outside of Canada and tried buying from them. But if you're in Canada, but with a different service provider I think you should be able to buy from them by paying the full price of the phone.

Last edited:

soxoh4

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, buying direct from them would probably be the cheapest and fastest as I'm in Canada. From Ebay I've gotten stung with import fees before.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That's $680 for a factory unlocked Lumia 920 (pentaband) - I highly doubt you'll find a better offer at the moment!
Oh yeah I didn't think of that. I'm with rogers anyway.

But you also have to take shipping into account. After shipping it would probably cost around $710-20ish, I would guess. But it still is the cheapest around!
I'm going to the UAE soon so I won't have to pay shipping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3