Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I am pretty upset that the 920 is listed as being exclusive to AT&T, mainly because I live in a rural area where the CDMA network is FAR superior to what AT&T has available, and probably will be for some time.

However...looking at some clues from all these announcements, a few things stood out to me.

one, there was no mention in the AT&T announcement about a grey 920, even though several photos have emerged here lately showing that one is at least out there in the works. it is not mentioned, and it is not shown on the 920 web page.

going back to the report that came out that showed a "Lumia 822" in Verizon's system, it showed it being available in gray and white. now, while the 820 IS available in gray, white is not a color that is shown on the product page. there IS a white 920, however.

so...i have no idea what any of this means...just putting it out there to say that i don't think we've seen all there is to see from Nokia, especially in regards to who is getting what phone...and i fully expect that there is going to be some variant of the 920 AND the 820 that shows up for Verizon at some point, hopefully before the end of the year.

if so, i'll be jumping ship from my regional carrier (Appalachian Wireless) and joining the ranks of Verizon, as the reps from my carrier have said they have NO interest in carrying windows phones.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    It seems pretty obvious that Verizon will get it, just not at launch.

Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davec53 View Post
    I am pretty upset that the 920 is listed as being exclusive to AT&T, mainly because I live in a rural area where the CDMA network is FAR superior to what AT&T has available, and probably will be for some time.

However...looking at some clues from all these announcements, a few things stood out to me.

one, there was no mention in the AT&T announcement about a grey 920, even though several photos have emerged here lately showing that one is at least out there in the works. it is not mentioned, and it is not shown on the 920 web page.

going back to the report that came out that showed a "Lumia 822" in Verizon's system, it showed it being available in gray and white. now, while the 820 IS available in gray, white is not a color that is shown on the product page. there IS a white 920, however.

so...i have no idea what any of this means...just putting it out there to say that i don't think we've seen all there is to see from Nokia, especially in regards to who is getting what phone...and i fully expect that there is going to be some variant of the 920 AND the 820 that shows up for Verizon at some point, hopefully before the end of the year.

if so, i'll be jumping ship from my regional carrier (Appalachian Wireless) and joining the ranks of Verizon, as the reps from my carrier have said they have NO interest in carrying windows phones.
    Maybe the painted all of the grey ones blue!
    davec53 likes this.

Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    Timed exclusive. You will eventually get the phone, just don't expect it first day with everybody else if your on any carrier besides AT&T in the US.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz8 View Post
    Timed exclusive. You will eventually get the phone, just don't expect it first day with everybody else if your on any carrier besides AT&T in the US.
    i do hope this is the case. i really favor the 920 over the HTC phones, although they look pretty slick, themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz8 View Post
    Same thing was said about the Lumia 900. It never went anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    I think that was due in part by Verizon waiting it out for WP8.

Quote Originally Posted by Vallos View Post
    I think that was due in part by Verizon waiting it out for WP8.
    And what about the even stronger rumor for T-Mobile? They had more WP devices than Verizon.

Here's my prediction: Verizon and T-Mobil will both get the "822", while Verizon will get the "922". Based on the comments made by AT&T about holiday sales, “Exclusive to our customers and featuring unique innovations…the Lumia 920 will be one of the hottest phones for the holidays”, Im guessing They will have a 60-90 day exclusive term...

I said this before and I'll say it again, Nokia and Verizon are part of the same wireless charging consortium. What reason would Verizon have to be a part of that if they weren't interested in being apart of the "next big thing", with Nokia being the front runner in it right now...

I'm inclined to agree that Verizon will likely get a variant or something, but it still seems odd that they would go exclusive for 60-90 days right at the holiday season unless AT&T gave them a TON of money to do so. We'll see by the end of the month if Verizon announces anything.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    A response from Nokia on their facebook page on comments after the att announcement

Nokia US Hi everyone and thanks for being so active on our page! North America is a key market for Nokia and we’re really excited by AT&T’s announcement. Right now we’re not talking about other possible announcements by other carriers. When we have new info to share, our fans here on Facebook will be among the first to know

And what about the even stronger rumor for T-Mobile? They had more WP devices than Verizon.
    Perhaps for the same reason? Your guess is as good as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    A response from Nokia on their facebook page on comments after the att announcement

Nokia US Hi everyone and thanks for being so active on our page! North America is a key market for Nokia and were really excited by AT&Ts announcement. Right now were not talking about other possible announcements by other carriers. When we have new info to share, our fans here on Facebook will be among the first to know
    "Possible announcements by other carriers." Sound very much like it will happen, but down the road.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    yep...that posting on their Facebook page seems like a company trying to ease consumer fears over the phone being exclusive to AT&T...they probably are not happy that they cannot announce any plans for other carriers, due to the backlash it is causing...but i would not be surprised if some strategic leaks don't start showing up over the next week or so pointing towards phones that may be headed to Verizon.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    think of the Lumia 900 but add a 20 to it and you got the same exclusive deal.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    It seems pretty obvious that Verizon will get it, just not at launch.
    Agreed.

I'd be willing to bet the exclusive will last less than a year too.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Agreed.

I'd be willing to bet the exclusive will last less than a year too.
    They don't have the luxury of waiting 6-12 mos in this rapid fire market. Heck, I think 3 mos in ridiculous.
    palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    Because about 3 months after it was released it was announced that it would be replaced.
    Thanked by:
    pjs37 

Yeah a tweet by Joe Belfiore earlier as well:

joebelfiore ‏@joebelfiore

Folks asking about other carriers-- I can't say. It's their news to disclose, not MS. We just rebroadcast when they announce.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Everyone should email Stephen Elop himself, I received a response from him earlier today expressing my disappointment with the news.

stephen.elop@nokia.com

his response:

"Thanks for the note.

We are pleased with the focus that we will receive from AT&T. As they did with the 900, we will see a tremendous amount of advertising and in-store support for the sales of our devices.

Regards,

Stephen"

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i want the 920...i NEED the 920...but...i will be OK with the 8X, which is no slouch at all.

that being said, all the chatter seems to point to some news coming soon that may give us Verizon folks a ray of hope...

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Would I be stoked if the 920 made its way to Verizon at launch? Absolutely.

Would I wait a month or more to get it if it is a timed AT&T exclusive? Nope. The HTC 8X is a solid offering as well and would definitely meet my needs.

A lot of the wording related to the ATT exclusive deal sounds to me like it will only be a temporary exclusive - possible only for the holiday season.

I am still hopeful that in May there will be a 920 or 922 available. That's when my contract is up. Will never switch.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
    Might the 822 be a 820 with the PureView camera, perhaps?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast